The Stimulus Package Breakdown for Charlotte

Andyc545

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll complain that rural areas are getting 1/3 of the transit dollars for the state.

The projects that CATS is proposing have neglible impact on the daily user of transit. Obviously they aren't getting enough to do much of high impact, but I was really hoping for station lengthening and new car acquisition. And before anyone reminds me that ridership is declining, yes, I know. I'm just looking to the future, which I expect long term will require the additional capacity.

Edit. As a postive, the new hybrid bus company that opened its North American headquarters in Charlotte could really benefit from the $700M for new municipal and state clean energy vehicles.

Thanks for that link. So CATs is getting just short of half of the transit money of the state. I guess it is all in the perspective you look at. It's an underwhelming figure alone for transit money compared to things like highway, but I guess it's a decent chunk for what the state was given. It does say that "It is possible that Charlotte could utilize some of the $14 Million if projects fall through at the smaller transit agencies and cities."

CATS is actually getting closer to 20% of the Transit money that NC is getting.

NC gets $103M and out of that CATS gets $21M

It looks like they will probably Remodel and expand the Davidson St Garage which was planned to happen anyways in the next couple of years and this expansion will end up creating Operations savings since they will bring in the STS vehicles and be able to shut down the existing STS operation center.

OH MY. Hell is certainly frozen over this morning because there is an article in the Observer that says Charlotte should stop acting like crybabies when it comes to this money. That we have the highest income in the state and still have one of the lowest un-employments and we got a significant portion of this stimulus money. Yet despite that, and the fact there are counties hitting 25%+ unemployment, we are crying that it wasn't fair and we should have gotten more. We look like a bunch of ingrates that have taken the approach we want as much as we can get and to hell with the rest of the state.

They are absolutely right for a change. They say this isn't the time for a clinched fist at Raleigh (McCrory) and I completely agree.

Pardon my ignorance on this, but is there any way to prevent a road having to repaved every four years? I'm pretty sure it has only been four years since 218 was repaved last (and I believe they widened the shoulders at that time). IMO it is unsustainable to keep repaving that often. What's the difference between trucks on I-485 and 218, 485 certainly hasn't been repaved due to trucks and I would wager there are many more on it than on 218. Is it a different grade of asphalt or was 218 just poorly paved?

I would have imagined that there are more critical projects that should be placed at a higher priority than this that are shovel ready, but perhaps not. Any word on the Yadkin River bridge? I would much rather see structurally deficient bridges replaced before seeing a newly repaved road repaved again.

Archived