WOODTV gives cold shoulder to anti-gay AFA piece

jwazzz

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on WOOD-TV's decision to run the show sponsored by the American Family Association that will "...reveal the truth about the radical homosexual agenda and its impact on the family, the nation and religious freedom." I was first alerted of this by an e-mail from a friend this past Monday and called TV-8 to question their judgement in running such a program. As today's Press states, it has since been postponed twice and is now scheduled to be shown this Saturday. While I was first opposed to what will undoubtedly be a hate filled piece of anti-gay propaganda (I've seen what the AFA is capable of in the past), I now embrace its airing and hope that WOOD would not bury it on a Saturday afternoon. People should be exposed to the bigotry that is sure to be shown here - it's one of the ways that we are going to resolve this issue of homophobia once and for all. I plan on watching and will encourage all friends and family members to do the same. I fully support AFA's right to make such a program and TV-8's right to air it - I also plan to let WOOD and their sponsors know that I feel that this is hate speech, pure and simple, and cannot support by viewing or spending money at establishments that condone such thoughts.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on WOOD-TV's decision to run the show sponsored by the American Family Association that will "...reveal the truth about the radical homosexual agenda and its impact on the family, the nation and religious freedom." I was first alerted of this by an e-mail from a friend this past Monday and called TV-8 to question their judgement in running such a program. As today's Press states, it has since been postponed twice and is now scheduled to be shown this Saturday. While I was first opposed to what will undoubtedly be a hate filled piece of anti-gay propaganda (I've seen what the AFA is capable of in the past), I now embrace its airing and hope that WOOD would not bury it on a Saturday afternoon. People should be exposed to the bigotry that is sure to be shown here - it's one of the ways that we are going to resolve this issue of homophobia once and for all. I plan on watching and will encourage all friends and family members to do the same. I fully support AFA's right to make such a program and TV-8's right to air it - I also plan to let WOOD and their sponsors know that I feel that this is hate speech, pure and simple, and cannot support by viewing or spending money at establishments that condone such thoughts.

I find it humorous that this group believes that Christians are being "silenced". So now they can use the stations that didn't run it when they wanted it run, as prime examples of their free speech rights being squashed.

I can't wait till they post the running list of stations that wouldn't run it. :rolleyes:

As far as the program goes, was it like an infomercial? Documentary? I don't get it.

Ah, just to show that we're not squelching anything, here's a link to the video:

http://www.silencingchristians.com/

I'm currently in the process of watching this piece so my commentary is not complete in it's perspective. Additionally, I preface this writing as solely my opinion.

The second (maybe fourth or fifth. I'm loosely keeping track.) acquisition Speechless makes is that children in public schools are being indoctrinated into homosexual tolerance. For a moment I was slightly on the side of the producers; that opinion of any form should be protected inside public schools. However, as the verbal assault pulled out story after story of religious intolerance inside public school sex ed, I realized my error. The discussion is not about protecting free speech. It is about educating our youth on sexual attitudes in the 21st century. A topic too personal to be discussed by traditional believers (the perspective this documentary openly admits to) who would rather have us all keep our sexual feelings bottled up until we're married. And the religious right sure knows how to keep sexual tension underwraps... just ask Ted Haggard. Sorry religious persons. I ached for a impolite and completely generalized joke throughout this entire article.

From what I remember from that part, a mom and dad did not want their child to go to a presentation on homosexuality, and the school basically told them they dont have a choice.

So how exactly is it wrong for parents to regulate what they want THEIR children to know or not know about sexual issues?

You may not tolerate Christians and their beliefs. But it doesn't help the other side to run over the rights of parents just because that side doesn't like those parents belief system.

If some parents get off on telling their kids every little thing about sex, then cool. But get off on telling your own kids that and let other parents do their own thing.

And who cares about WOODTV's stupid programming choices. That's why we have the internet so that narrow-minded bigots from BOTH SIDES cant block access to people's POV.

If anything they made this special even more popular as people are going to want to see what it's all about.

Look, the AFA has every right to air whatever they want on any tv station they want. Let them waste their money. Us gays can't surppress their right to free speech. I personally feel that anything they claim or say is false, but it's still a viewpoint that many people share and thus, it has merit. Yet the AFA can't get upset then if the gay community puts out its own video on tolerance. If you feel strongly against woodtv for airing it, boycott and write the station and its advertisers. That's what a great democracy is all about... protesting! ;) Oh, and when the AFA says that that is anti-democratic to protest, just remind them that that is why we have this great nation of ours.

Anyway... I have not yet seen the video, but I can guarantee you that kids in schools are NOT being forced to watch anything w/o parental notification. All the AFA is doing is trying to put out something controversial so that people go "Oh my God!" As I said, many of their claims are false or overly exagerated. They used the same tactic to get people to vote for Prop 8 in California to ban gay marriage even though Cali schools don't teach gay or even straight marriage (you know, that whole seperation of church and state thing).

As I said before, this arguement will only be won by having the better arguement. To me, having solid and independent facts showing that gays are, in fact, normal people (big shocker, I know) does more for the gay rights movement than saying religious judgemental things like, "you're going to hell because you're gay." Tolerance attracts more people than being judgemental, hence why they are getting more nervous about this "homosexual agenda." By the way, if me going to my work, my house, or the park, or the club, or the parade, or to my own private wedding is the "homosexual agenda," then that's a pretty lame agenda; and one that I ponder hours on daily just to piss off the AFA. I'm so glad they call the life I lead an "agenda." I wonder if there's a "straight agenda," one inwhich straights make all the laws preventing gays from leading an enjoyable life?

One last thing to tie all this into a truly GR based forum: there are plenty of gay people in GR and West Michigan that live, work, and play in the same community as the straights. It's a big shocker to report, but everyone is getting along just fine. You see, the more diverse a community becomes, the more healthy its culture and economy become. Static communities don't tend to have that same growth. So in my opinion, minorities should be supported and not persecuted.

To wrap this up, I just want to say that no matter what the AFA does in GR, I will still love and support GR because it's my home. Let them preach their hate and I, along with many others, will lead by example.

Look, the AFA has every right to air whatever they want on any tv station they want. Let them waste their money. Us gays can't surppress their right to free speech. I personally feel that anything they claim or say is false, but it's still a viewpoint that many people share and thus, it has merit. Yet the AFA can't get upset then if the gay community puts out its own video on tolerance. If you feel strongly against woodtv for airing it, boycott and write the station and its advertisers. That's what a great democracy is all about... protesting! ;) Oh, and when the AFA says that that is anti-democratic to protest, just remind them that that is why we have this great nation of ours.

Anyway... I have not yet seen the video, but I can guarantee you that kids in schools are NOT being forced to watch anything w/o parental notification. All the AFA is doing is trying to put out something controversial so that people go "Oh my God!" As I said, many of their claims are false or overly exagerated. They used the same tactic to get people to vote for Prop 8 in California to ban gay marriage even though Cali schools don't teach gay or even straight marriage (you know, that whole seperation of church and state thing).

As I said before, this arguement will only be won by having the better arguement. To me, having solid and independent facts showing that gays are, in fact, normal people (big shocker, I know) does more for the gay rights movement than saying religious judgemental things like, "you're going to hell because you're gay." Tolerance attracts more people than being judgemental, hence why they are getting more nervous about this "homosexual agenda." By the way, if me going to my work, my house, or the park, or the club, or the parade, or to my own private wedding is the "homosexual agenda," then that's a pretty lame agenda; and one that I ponder hours on daily just to piss off the AFA. I'm so glad they call the life I lead an "agenda." I wonder if there's a "straight agenda," one inwhich straights make all the laws preventing gays from leading an enjoyable life?

One last thing to tie all this into a truly GR based forum: there are plenty of gay people in GR and West Michigan that live, work, and play in the same community as the straights. It's a big shocker to report, but everyone is getting along just fine. You see, the more diverse a community becomes, the more healthy its culture and economy become. Static communities don't tend to have that same growth. So in my opinion, minorities should be supported and not persecuted.

To wrap this up, I just want to say that no matter what the AFA does in GR, I will still love and support GR because it's my home. Let them preach their hate and I, along with many others, will lead by example.

I always see issues like this as actually insulting to God. It seems as though the implication is the He/She is dumb and unaware of what goes on here on Earth and therefore people need to appoint themselves to do His/Her job. As though, if someone has conducted themselves in a way that should prevent their entry to Heaven, God is so out of it, the person might actually still sneak in if someone here on Earth doesn't persecute them on God's behalf. I mean, if you truly have faith and live your life as Jesus taught, what the hell do you have to worry about?

As Bill Maher once pointed out, God gave us 10 Commandments. Not one of them mentions homosexuality. Therefore, there were at least 10 other things God thought were more important than this issue. Why not focus on getting those 10 locked down before we start worrying about other stuff. Honestly, what is so damn frightening to these people about homosexuality?

OK, so WOODtv is not going to run it. But I'm not letting them off the hook that easy. Somebody there thought that this was perfectly fine to air? That it would just slip through? Their integrity can be bought for (a rumored) $7,000? Are we going to see "Why You Should Be Very Afraid of Colored People" next month? If there weren't already plenty of reasons why I don't watch their news broadcasts, this would be more than enough.

I say let them run the program - I agree with the first comment...in the end I think it'll end up backfiring on them...and I wouldn't be surprised after WOODTV shows it if the GLBT community here starts boycotting the station...they can swing it right back to them. As I know...the GLBT Community is not afraid to speak their minds either.

And now I see that they decided not to run it - you see - they know the criticism they would receive for airing something like that.

But someone else was right about visitors to town and what not being here...I have to tell ya - a lot of people I know still won't even set foot in GR because of what everyone hears about how the city is nothing but a bunch of religious crazies.

I don't know why AFA is obsessed with putting this on a local station - why don't they just go to Fox News? I'm sure they'd love to air it. Hell they'll probably fund it, endorse it, etc etc.

WOODTV did not drop the video. They turned down AFA to run it just prior to Obama's big press conference (7:00), and offered AFA another time slot on Saturday at 2 - 3:00. They never heard back from AFA (even though Fox17 interviewed one of the AFA head guys who slammed WOODTV for doing exactly what they are claiming, "silencing Christians"). I always love it when someone is ON THE FRIGGIN TV IN FRONT OF ME saying their voice is not being heard, and that they are being silenced.

(even though Fox17 interviewed one of the AFA head guys who slammed WOODTV for doing exactly what they are claiming, "silencing Christians"). I always love it when someone is ON THE FRIGGIN TV IN FRONT OF ME saying their voice is not being heard, and that they are being silenced.

Archived