How the Crash Will Reshape America

ModSquad

^And your point is what? It all came crashing down which is why I say it was a false economy. Wars, irresponsible lending, and banking de-regulation gave us an economic bubble that hid the real rot under our economy. BTW, unemployment is not counted the same way as it was in past decades.

The platitudes of high taxes, crushing regulations and lazy people is another sound bite. It's not taxes, its spending. Spending spending spending. We have been spending $54B/month on a war in Iraq that was never even put into the federal budget and that war has been going on longer than any war in American history, and this is but one example.

Can you please let us know what crushing regulations have destroyed this economy? It's easy to say it much harder talk details. When business regulation has gotten so lax, that a peanut processor can ship peanuts that have been contaminated by rat feces, I would say you are not properly regulating your businesses. If you believe otherwise, then go out and get some peanut butter cookies.

Finally I have never known anyone that would want to live their lives on free lunches. I am not saying they don't exist, but IMO that most Americans would be glad to work a decent job for decent pay. It's hard to do that when we let our corporations value us in terms of 3rd world slave labor. It's also unacceptable.

Finally the Constitution is not a document of regulations and laws. It is a document of rights. Laws and regulations are established to protect those rights. I am wondering how many people have actually read the thing since it is often misquoted.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So because we have a downturn of any sort, the economy was "false"? There has never been a time of growth that hasn't been followed by contraction. You have this rather odd idea that because people were doing things "right" that there should never be a recession, depression or whatever. It's like saying that since you ate healthy, you cant understand why you got a cold.

"The platitudes of high taxes, crushing regulations and lazy people" are not platitudes at all. If you have an economy with high taxes, crushing regulations, and people that see it as being easier to vote themselves money, then the economy cannot function. This has been tried so many times, you would think someone would have done it right, yet they haven't.

And you want an earful from business owners about crushing regulations, go talk to them. And for crying out loud, 99% of these guys/gals aren't trying to pass tainted food to consumers.

Oh, and oddly enough even with all of these wonderful regulations, it didn't do squat to stop those tainted cookies, did they? I wonder if the rats were privy to the fact that their presence was illegal?

And if you find "corporations" are valuing you like "3rd world slave labor", then you are free to start your own business and show them how it's supposed to be done. Or maybe you can point out these abuses since slavery is illegal in the US.

Hint: Not getting longer breaks or not getting a Christmas bonus is not the same as being "3rd world slave labor".

The Constitution is the greatest regulatory document in the nation. It regulates what the Feds cannot do, and leaves the rest to the states and people. Not having enough people understand that is what has brought about too many of these problems, and a government that is now getting a bit to cozy with power.

Anyone who thinks the business of business doesn't require some degree of regulation is delusional. Sure, sometimes regulatory agencies drop the ball but consider the harm to the public of no regulation whatsoever. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile in the interest of the almighty buck. I've seen this again and again in my real world experiences. Working conditions pre-OSHA for instance were a nightmare.

Anyone who thinks the business of business doesn't require some degree of regulation is delusional. Sure, sometimes regulatory agencies drop the ball but consider the harm to the public of no regulation whatsoever. Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile in the interest of the almighty buck. I've seen this again and again in my real world experiences. Working conditions pre-OSHA for instance were a nightmare.

Archived