Port news in the port city

NcSc74

I read the monthly newsletter from the NC port authority so I guess I can post some info here for anyone who just feel passing some time. This article is not from the port authrority. I just so happened to come across this in the Virginia forum. Looks like the deeper channel depth is really paying off for Wilmingtons deep water port.. Sorry about the lost jobs in Richmond though.

http://hamptonroads.com/2009/02/port-richm...ercent-business

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 8 months later...

[url=http://img25.imageshack.us/i/familyvacationpt1022.jpg/]familyvacationpt1022.jpg[/url

No real updates just a pic a snapped of all the cranes in view. The worlwide ecomomic slump has taken its toll on the state ports but it looks like there is a chance for an upswing this spring. I hope so I am waiting to hear about any plans of the supereport.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Since the international port has been postponed or canceled it looks like the port in Wilmington will be the target for expansion. I was hoping the new port would be built but the economy sunk that ship. Had NC spent the money way back when to create a world class port the state wouldnt have to go these lengths to stay competitive. If the British consolidated 7 islands to make one in Bombay in the 1800s then I know the technology was present to fix the channel problems at Wilmington. Here is the story on the studies for expansion. My link

Since the international port has been postponed or canceled it looks like the port in Wilmington will be the target for expansion. I was hoping the new port would be built but the economy sunk that ship. Had NC spent the money way back when to create a world class port the state wouldnt have to go these lengths to stay competitive. If the British consolidated 7 islands to make one in Bombay in the 1800s then I know the technology was present to fix the channel problems at Wilmington. Here is the story on the studies for expansion. My link

I'm trying to piece together what exactly happened with the international port. It seems that overwhelming public and political opposition had more to do with killing this project than the economic slump. There is a page on Wikipedia about NoPort Southport NC, Inc., "a grassroots organization of citizens of the lower Cape Fear region of North Carolina, formed in 2008 to oppose the development of the North Carolina International Terminal (NCIT)."

Archived