Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

growingup15

Stimulus Money Coming to Columbia

22 posts in this topic

What kinda improvments can columbia make with the economic stimulus money coming our way?

I think one of the best uses right now would be to subsidize the operating costs of Innovista as a means of allowing the University to create incentives for corporations to set up shop here.

Technically it's not new construction, but the fact that we fell a year or two on the early side I don't think should make us ineligible.

Stimulus funding cannot be used for operating costs.

I wonder if anything infrastructure-related for Innovista is shovel-ready. Anyone know?

My guess is that there isn't anything unless its more aesthetic, like street lighting or something.

Stimulus funding cannot be used for operating costs.

I heard part of the money SCDOT is going to use is not imcluding bridge projects. whats up with that. and also whats with governor mark sanford he doesn't want to get the money to help us :)

Sanford has stated that although he is opposed to the stimulus package, he will take the money--at least some of it. As far as I know, bridges are included in the money that will be alloted to the DOT.

If you look at the thread in the South Carolina forum that discusses the stimulus package, there is a link to the proposed projects from SCDOT.

Today Columbia's North Main Street improvement grant just got increased by $2 million by stimulus funds, added to the original $6 million. Mayor Bob Coble called the development huge. WIS reported on it tonight.

So I wonder if that will extend the actual streetscaping a few blocks north or if it will go to added improvements in the stretch already designated for streetscaping? I'd say the latter.

So I wonder if that will extend the actual streetscaping a few blocks north or if it will go to added improvements in the stretch already designated for streetscaping? I'd say the latter.

The way the report ended I'd say it allows them to make improvements further up that they thought they were going to be able to, because the reporter said the Mayor said it would allow them to do from Fairfield Road to a street the name of which I didn't quite catch - something like Forum St.

Has the project north of the current started? I'm guessing that even if it has, it's not to the "shovel ready" state yet. So, IMO this extra $2 million will probably be used to further offset the costs of the current North Main project.

The first stage, from Elmwood to Anthony is about 50% completed. They are finished with the new water and sewer lines and they're beginning to work on the sidewalks. I can't wait until the view of the State House is unimpeded by electrical lines - photoshoot time!

Has a rendering or plans ever come out for this project. I know improvements are happening, but I have no clue of any details. Sidewalks are being improved, utilities are being buried................but is there going to be landscaped medians, how's the intersection of N. Main and River going to be improved?

It's Fairfield to Anthony. That's what the mayor said the $2.5 million will be used for. Don't know how I got something like Forum and of Anthony.

LOL. The current project will be completed to Fairfield. The additional money might allow them to make it all the way to I-20, which would be awesome.