Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I'm not sure that the residential tower will be the exxon, though, I think that will be greenway, and the tower will be in the parking lot toward Kings and Baxter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It is an optical illusion on the plans. Look carefully at the siteplan. The bridge between kings and k-worth will move south, and without that connection, baxter st heading to cherry will be bended north so that it extends to the north side of the residential tower, even though that tower sits completely north of the current baxter bridge and street.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-060.htm

It appears that that block across Kings from the Target/Expo block is "available". Have any of you heard anything as to whether this will be more big or medium box stores or something else?

As i've been sprinkling a few photos here and there, i figured i'd post this one now.

18266747-M.jpg

No takers......though I heard Wells (The W in FMW who owns the site) has been shopping it really hard lately.  He thinks the time is now for the site......I think this is a great site for mid rise residential.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Somehow, i like that site for more larger scale retail, with some residential blended in a bit. By combining that land with other lots along 3rd, i think it could be the last bigbox-potential site in the area. (I'm thinking bestbuy or circuit city). For some reason, i want the whole mix of big box stores neartown, so that many people will come into town for bigbox needs instead of to 485.

Maybe that isn't possible though (or even beneficial?).

• 2 weeks later...

They have released updated renderings for the Midtown Project.

View them here:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-060.htm

Click on "Site Plan 2nd Revision"

It looks like the project will now have a 10 story office building and an 18 story condo tower. The office building looks like it was plucked right out of Ballyntine.

Overall I like this project a lot and am looking forward to walking over there one day.

What surface parking are you talking about?

The only surface parking I see is right around the Wendy's and the onstreet parking in front of the retail.

There are 2 parking decks. 1 at the Target and 1 between the Office tower and Kings Dr.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I would love to see another row of shops occupy the surface lots. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the project, I'm just talking about what would be nice to see.

Awesome looking project. What a great place to live, restaurants along the greenway, the two big box stores I really need, and one hell of a view of downtown. Wow. Impressive looking renderings. I'd like to see much more residential development on this scale within a half-mile of 277 on all sides of the city.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I would love to see another row of shops occupy the surface lots. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the project, I'm just talking about what would be nice to see.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that Wendy's is going to stick out like sore thumb...I guess they own their property and don't want to move.

Actually they are moving....they are going to where the other restaurant was (I think it was a Shoney's), but essentially yes, they are being difficult and were only willing to move if they were built a similar suburban store at the same basic location. Sadly, they are even closer to the greenway, though the developer has screened them a bit better than the original proposal......nothing beats taking a peaceful strool to the sound of "do you want fries with that?"

Edited by atlrvr

seems like it really turns its back on Kings Drive, except the portion near the condo tower. I know there is a lot of suburban crap across the street, but maybe they could have set the decks back from the road and put some shops along the street. Last time I was home visiting I saw that bofa replaced the old KFC with a suburban bank branch.

That bofa branch (as are most bofa branches) is pretty ugly.

In many ways, it is interesting that king's (which connect queen's west and central) is a backdoor for a big project like this, but the greenways is a front door. That is progress in someways, but i agree they should have left some room for retail along king's.

• 3 weeks later...

CPCC has requested a rezoning to build on the northwest corner of elizabeth ave and independence. It will help densify and beautify that part of elizabeth ave. They also have included a new face on the the elizabeth ave side of the existing building. (see site plan)

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-099.htm

Edited by dubone

It lists the proposed building height at 75', how does this related to the height of the new building on the southwest corner? I haven't been by there in a while, by I'm guessing it will be pretty equal? If so it should provide a nice visual balance going down Elizabeth toward uptown.

The site plan also showed the building along 4th st. as multi-use. I have heard that there was just going to be a parking deck where Tonic now stands. Does anyone know what the intended use is now going to be?

There were initially when I was working on it, though I'm not so sure now. CPCC has started charging ahead to do their own thing.....interesting about Grubb, some of their parking was originally planned to be sub-terranean, with plazas on top......it's hard to convince the city that you need cash when you're planning something like that.

It lists the proposed building height at 75', how does this related to the height of the new building on the southwest corner? I haven't been by there in a while, by I'm guessing it will be pretty equal? If so it should provide a nice visual balance going down Elizabeth toward uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The new building looks to be around 4 stories high so that translates to what, ~50 feet?