Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

a midtown store would service many intown neighborhoods, not just uptown. I agree that northlake is probably the easiest/fastest suburban retail activity center to reach from within uptown, but it is still quite a trek from elizabeth or dilworth or myerspark to get to any of them. that is part of the idea for bigbox/suburban retailers moving to midtown, is they can tap all those neighborhoods and also take advantage of the uptown/intown growth.

i think hhgreggs rapid expansion into this city might make them more interested in coming uptown than a current suburban retailer that might be worried about cannibalizing sales from current intown residents that drive to their stores in the suburbs already.

a midtown store would service many intown neighborhoods, not just uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. There are 3 Target stores here. They're all on the relative outskirts of town. I know som of you despise big box stores, but for many people it's what they can afford. I think it does help cut down on traffic and pollution somewhat when people can shop these stores nearby. I do hope Target and Home Depot build multiple floor stores since that will save a little space. :)

I agree. There are 3 Target stores here. They're all on the relative outskirts of town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually there are 6 Target stores in the area on the outskirts of town

University (Harris Blvd & Hwy 49), Mint Hill (Albemarle Rd), Matthews (74 & Hwy 51), Ballantyne (Rea Rd & 485), Pineville (South Blvd & 485) and Huntersville (Sam Furr Rd & Statesville)

So the midtown store will "fill the gap" for lack of a better term. I'm sure people who live in in-town neighborhoods would be happier going to Target that's closer to home rather than having to drive ten miles.

i'm one.

i loathe going to pineville to shop...  lately, i'm much more likely to order what i need online rather than go down to pineville... 

it would be nice to be able to support a local intown target.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel the same way. Pineville is awful. I will be very happy when this Midtown stuff gets going.

The best Target right now is definitely the one on Albemarle. It's a drive from downtown but it's not in a big shopping center--just Target and Lowe's, and they're both fairly new. I suspect that area will be shopping centers galore in a few years though.

University (Harris Blvd & Hwy 49), Mint Hill (Albemarle Rd), Matthews (74 & Hwy 51), Ballantyne (Rea Rd & 485), Pineville (South Blvd & 485) and Huntersville (Sam Furr Rd & Statesville)

There is one being built at Rea Rd. and Audery Kell too. They look to spread between the North and the South pretty equally.

Target gives me a headache, I don't like going in there. :)

Pluses for Target: No creepy "greeter" at the front. The aisles are wider and it just feels easier to move around.

Minus: I don't see this as often in NC... but in California, Targets often have some charity soliciting in front of the door. Target fought some of them in court and it came to a draw... they could draw a border around the front door, and post a sign saying they're not affiliated with any of the organizations, but not chase them off.

But I've been getting wise lately about chains. Most "common household items" are available at Dollar General and Family dollar. I mean seriously... why pay $5 for a paintbrush at Home Depot, when you can buy a *BAG* of them for a buck?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only counted the stores within Charlotte's city limits. With the exception of the Super Target in Mooresville, I tend to do my Target shopping in Charlotte proper. I usually got to the Rea Rd. store. It's the nicest one I've seen here plus it's next door to Harris Teeter and Borders. I love that shopping center. It's the best strip mall in town. :)

But I've been getting wise lately about chains. Most "common household items" are available at Dollar General and Family dollar. I mean seriously... why pay $5 for a paintbrush at Home Depot, when you can buy a *BAG* of them for a buck?

hehe, maybe if you want your wall to look good? :) The $5 paintbrushes last much longer too and are easier to clean the paint off of.

hehe, maybe if you want your wall to look good? :) The $5 paintbrushes last much longer too and are easier to clean the paint off of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if you really want the best paintbrush IMO. go to home depot and drop about $15 - $17 on a PURDY brush. not only cut a straight line like a champ, if you take proper care, it will last you a lifetime. :thumbsup:

I only counted the stores within Charlotte's city limits. With the exception of the Super Target in Mooresville, I tend to do my Target shopping in Charlotte proper. I usually got to the Rea Rd. store. It's the nicest one I've seen here plus it's next door to Harris Teeter and Borders. I love that shopping center. It's the best strip mall in town. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ballantyne :sick:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And, now they are remodeling that store for you :)

The more people move in CC and surrounding, the more stores that will open. BTW with all the development going on around Elizabeth, does anyone know if Athens is going to be torn down? I HOPE NOT. Not that I go there alot, but its that type of "established" joint that makes a neighborhood interesting. The nights I trolled up in that place at 4am. Good times....lol

The guy that owns the property that Athens is on is not renewing the lease with Athens (or it may be the other way around). Either way, after next year, Athens will be no more and will be torn down. The plan is to build a twin to the building that is next to it. LuvB's (currently on Shamrock Dr.) is going to be going into the current building this fall (timetable dependent on their architect who has been pretty slack so far from what I was told).

Target to me seems more inviting and livelier. Better than that old blue and white smelly neighbor of theirs. Also Target keeps their stores ALOT neater.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

seeing as how Target is owned by a French company I would have assumed that Targets are more smelly :whistling: