Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

On 12/15/2015 at 7:52 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

They had the chance to be pioneers of that four corner main intersection, and they chose to cater to the existing buildings-in-a-parking-lot layout that Chipotle and Vitamin Shoppe mistakenly use. It's obscene and idiotic.

I know I'm a little late jumping in this one, but I agree that this intersection won't be heavily used by pedestrians any time soon. The SunTrust across 3rd isn't going anywhere anytime soon. St. Mary's Chapel with its grounds serving as a decent visual extension of the greenway across Kings certainly isn't going anywhere. So that just leaves the credit union building next door to the met and unless there is something in the works that we don't know about that lot isn't in play either. I would guess that it will be 10 or so years before anything else pops up at that intersection.

• 2 months later...
22 minutes ago, Crown said:

Even more details on the Pappas Greenwood Cliff Realtor site. The city is considering $3.9 million in support for the midtown development

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/04/14/city-considering-3-9-million-in-support-for-major.html

pearle-park*1200xx1508-850-39-0.jpg

Queue facebook rants about traffic, and yankees, and oy vey, I just need to delete my Facebook.

37 minutes ago, ScottCLT said:

In the same parking lot as Chipotle, there is a new Mediterranean place called Taziki's (seems like they misspelled Tzaztiki, but it's actually a chain named that). Here's the menu. Opening soon.

http://tazikiscafe.com/wp-content/uploads/To-Go-Menu-Version-3_Charlotte.pdf

I'd eat at this place frequently when I traveled to Atlanta regularly.  I'm a big fan, fast casual Mediterranean.  Good stuff!

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Southern Apt Group has assembled the block around the Wells Fargo at Kenilworth and Greenwood Cliff and just scheduled their pre-submittal for 65k office and 200 resi units. The office will front Kenilworth with the resi taking up the rest of the block (minus Wells). 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, nonillogical said:

I feel like its still lacking a few finishing touches that could improve things, but I still think its a pretty successful project and clearly pretty high quality. 

I hope you're right about the finishing touches and I hope they improve the look. Also, I don't mean to imply that I think it's not a successful project. If it adds to our close-in population and helps support more neighborhood retail and retail in midtown and uptown then I'm all for it. At the end of the day, it probably just comes down to personal preference on aesthetics anyway.

I don't think its pretty, but it is one of the few new, big, apartment projects that I would consider to be in a 'good' location. Its both nicely sheltered from traffic noise and has some pretty good views -- I don't think you can say this about any other recent project. Hats off to the architect who positioned the building on the site (and the developers who identified the site).

25 minutes ago, ah59396 said:

I actually this it's one of the best looking of the apartment projects.  That photo doesn't really do it justice.  The materials are high quality and it mesh's in well with its surroundings.

I agree, I live nearby and walk/drive past it a fair amount. I think it fits in quite well. That new one at Morehead and Kenilworth, on the other hand...

Just now, Rufus said:

I like the look except for the one level of EFIS.  I don't know why they did that.  It would look a lot better if it was all brick.  Maybe that's just me. 

I'm fine with the level of EFIS. Its the random white boxes of EFIS above them that is my problem.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

I actually this it's one of the best looking of the apartment projects.  That photo doesn't really do it justice.  The materials are high quality and it mesh's in well with its surroundings.

48 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

I agree, I live nearby and walk/drive past it a fair amount. I think it fits in quite well. That new one at Morehead and Kenilworth, on the other hand...

I'm not really going by the photo, it just reminded me of something I meant to post a few weeks ago. I was on the greenway and noticed the project (that looked all but complete then) and noted how much I do not like the window sizes and choices. It's like an architect didn't create the project at all; instead some designer who can use (whatever the new version of) autocad is called. I've been told some home builders use this technique, and it usually shows because things never come together quite right. I'm sure the materials are fine, it's the way they are arranged that I don't care for.

1 hour ago, ah59396 said:

Yeah, I think its massing and height play off that of the hospital perfectly.

• 3 months later...

209 S Kings Drive (Building that houses the Cosmetology School and next to Chipotle) is going to be renovated.  It will include ground floor retail and a rooftop urban garden. I'm digging the unique design.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/11/209-kings-drive-slated-for-adaptive-reuse-project.html

209 Kings.png

Edited by rjp212
  • Like 4