Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

11 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

A non-compete in retail. Disgusting.  Is this common practice? In Charlotte? Nationwide? 

Honestly. It is common practice, I just don't know why it would be done in a development like this one. A couple more restaurants or a softgoods retailer would greatly improve the overall experience of Metropolitan Midtown.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:28 AM, rjp212 said:

209 S Kings Drive (Building that houses the Cosmetology School and next to Chipotle) is going to be renovated.  It will include ground floor retail and a rooftop urban garden. I'm digging the unique design.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/08/11/209-kings-drive-slated-for-adaptive-reuse-project.html

209 Kings.png

This looks like a seizure. Or at least an ophthalmic migraine.

On 8/25/2016 at 10:19 PM, rjp212 said:

Randomly came across these design proposals for Levine's Metropolitan Tower.  I like the first proposal better.  

Source:  http://www.bokapowell.com/project/charlotte-mixed-use-tower/

image.jpeg

This may be the first modern/contemporary building that I like. I think the context is appropriate and the architecture is decent. The retail situation is disappointing but if they have space for it and can add retail after the noncompete, then I think its ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Armada Hoffler Properties Announces New Development Project in Charlotte, North Carolina

Armada Hoffler Properties, Inc. (NYSE:AHH) announced today that the Company has entered into an agreement to develop and own a new $45 million multifamily property in Charlotte, North Carolina as the majority partner in a joint venture with Southern Apartment Group.

Situated in thriving Midtown Charlotte on the East Morehead corridor, the project is expected to be a new Class A property consisting of 225 apartment homes over eight floors with 350 structured parking spaces. The new development is only minutes from downtown Charlotte and is strategically located in close proximity to the Carolinas Medical Center, the flagship hospital of Carolinas HealthCare System and one of the largest employers in Charlotte.

The Company expects to break ground during the fourth quarter of 2016 with completion targeted for mid-2018.

Anyone know the site location.  Several PRs out there but they all just reference the area and not an address.  

46 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

Armada Hoffler Properties Announces New Development Project in Charlotte, North Carolina

Armada Hoffler Properties, Inc. (NYSE:AHH) announced today that the Company has entered into an agreement to develop and own a new $45 million multifamily property in Charlotte, North Carolina as the majority partner in a joint venture with Southern Apartment Group.

Situated in thriving Midtown Charlotte on the East Morehead corridor, the project is expected to be a new Class A property consisting of 225 apartment homes over eight floors with 350 structured parking spaces. The new development is only minutes from downtown Charlotte and is strategically located in close proximity to the Carolinas Medical Center, the flagship hospital of Carolinas HealthCare System and one of the largest employers in Charlotte.

The Company expects to break ground during the fourth quarter of 2016 with completion targeted for mid-2018.

Anyone know the site location.  Several PRs out there but they all just reference the area and not an address.  

8 floors of 225 apartments tells me somewhat smaller parcel. I'll look into it.

On 9/9/2016 at 9:30 AM, cjd5050 said:

Thanks.  Does 'structured parking' mean a podium?  That could be a pretty tall building which would be a nice addition in that area.

No, 'structured parking' just means a parking deck. It could be wrapped by apartments (or in theory, physically separate from the structure altogether like Skyhouse). Podium typically refers to the apartments stacked on top of the deck with no retail or other active ground floor use.

On 9/10/2016 at 0:19 PM, cjd5050 said:

First Image of the project from CBJ

Screenshot 2016-09-10 12.17.51.png

Looks like an office building on the left. I'm indifferent about this. I hope it can improve somehow.

10 hours ago, Spartan said:

No, 'structured parking' just means a parking deck. It could be wrapped by apartments (or in theory, physically separate from the structure altogether like Skyhouse). Podium typically refers to the apartments stacked on top of the deck with no retail or other active ground floor use.

Looks like an office building on the left. I'm indifferent about this. I hope it can improve somehow.

Thanks and agree on the indifference to the design.  It's a solid density I think but pretty blah. 

Does it feel like they should have some type of rooftop garden?  That would provide some stunning views and a great space.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/30/2016 at 1:27 PM, Spartan said:

On 8/25/2016 at 10:19 PM, rjp212 said:

Randomly came across these design proposals for Levine's Metropolitan Tower.  I like the first proposal better.  

Source:  http://www.bokapowell.com/project/charlotte-mixed-use-tower/

image.jpeg

This may be the first modern/contemporary building that I like. I think the context is appropriate and the architecture is decent. The retail situation is disappointing but if they have space for it and can add retail after the noncompete, then I think its ok.

Just a bump on this.  Ely's article in the Observer mentioned this tower briefly.  Does anyone know it's status?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article132984039.html

2 hours ago, sakami said:

I *think* this is considered Midtown but maybe Dilworth. The houses behind the Wells Fargo off Kenilworth on Greenwood Cliff Rd are long gone. The cranes in the background are from the project at Morehead and Kenilworth. 

IMG_4991.JPG

IMG_4992.JPG

This is the rendering for this site, Harding Place Multifamily.  The section to the left was office space but has been eliminated from the project.  Now it consists of a two level parking deck topped with 5 levels of wood framed apartments.

hard.JPG

2 minutes ago, EngineerCLT said:

This is the rendering for this site, Harding Place Multifamily.  The section to the left was office space but has been eliminated from the project.  Now it consists of a two level parking deck topped with 5 levels of wood framed apartments.

hard.JPG

Here is another rendering.

harding-place-charlotte-nc-primary-photo.jpg

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Here is another rendering.

harding-place-charlotte-nc-primary-photo.jpg

This is the office part that has been eliminated. You can see in the pictures sakami posted that the shoring wall stops short of this portion and a single family house still stands there.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, EngineerCLT said:

This is the office part that has been eliminated.

Yea I know :-( I hate that they eliminated the office. It was actually a handsome looking building. There is a lot of Office planned in the area between Pappas and Baxter Place so makes sense that they scrapped it.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Yea I know :-( I hate that they eliminated the office. It was actually a handsome looking building. There is a lot of Office planned in the area between Pappas and Baxter Place so makes sense that they scrapped it.

Any idea when Pappas and/or Baxter Place are going to happen?