Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I was wondering about that.  WHen I first read it I thought" That's why people call it Targche"  I thought they were just trying to make it sound french and fancy  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are trying to make it seem fancy...its a play off the fact that Target's stores are friggin' Saks Fifth Avenue compared to the dumps that are called Wal-Mart.

• 3 weeks later...

i know the midtown target/homedepot isn't scheduled to start construction until "end of the year or early 2006", but a few months ago people were saying that there was some delay in signing contracts with the city on the subsidies. Does anyone know if this is still on track to start construction in the next 6 months?

• 3 weeks later...

isnt the ity going to buold a round-a-bout at kings and elizabeth with an equestrian statue in the middle of it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i've read of the plans to build a roundabout at king's and elizabeth, but i've never seen which project it will be coordinated with (cpcc campus upgrades, little sugar creek greenway, elizabeth ave streetcar, etc.).

i'm pretty sure it will not be timed as part of the home depot/target/midtown square project, as it is slightly different part of midtown. They will be redoing K'worth, Independence, Belk Freeway, Stonewall intersection as part of that project, though.

I believe the roundabout is part of a plan to redirect King St. to allow more room in front of CPCC to become greenway space. The maps showed King running directly in front of CPCC's new performance arts building and then past Central High where there is a little side street now. This will allow all of the space where King St. currently is to become greenway. The roundabout would be in front of the Per Arts Space and Central High at King and Elizabeth. The statues proposed for the area are proposed by a private group so I I guess we will only get the statue in the roundabout if the private group is able to raise enough funds. One thing I love though is that the street is named King St. and has crowns emblazoned on the road signs, yet the statue proposed is for one of Charlotte's Revolutionary War heroes. That's pretty quirky and interesting. :)

I read where the Charlotte City Council approved the contract to realign Independence and 277. This is Phase 1 of the Midtown redevelopment. I suspect we will see some graders and earth movers out there shortly. I also read somewhere that the Home Depot/ Target will get started in 4th Quarter 2005...just a couple weeks from now.

I read where the Charlotte City Council approved the contract to realign Independence and 277. This is Phase 1 of the Midtown redevelopment. I suspect we will see some graders and earth movers out there shortly. I also read somewhere that the Home Depot/ Target will get started in 4th Quarter 2005...just a couple weeks from now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yippie. that will be one major correction to horrible horrible road design that accompanied the construction of belk freeway. there are many threads where people talk about how bad belk freeway is for downtown, but i'm of the opinion that it had been designed with better respect for the street grid and urban guidelines, it would be fine... so likewise, i am really excited about plans to fix the stonewall /independence intersection and the south blvd interchange.

i just hope they fix the bend on kenilworth before you get to baxter bridge where the lanes get extremely narrow, and you are lucky not to sideswipe the car next to you.

sweet god in heaven, that was the missing link!!!! I now can completely avoid siberbia completely on weekends!!!! (now i just have to get a job downtown and i'll be set :) ).

are they changing the siteplan at all to accommodate them? will it be level three on the target block, share the first floor with home depot, or will they be on the phase II block south of independence? how does bestbuy's floor space compare with the space they had shown on their siteplan for the southwest corner of independence/kings?

I assume it will be going into the space reserved for a "junior anchor" immediately south of Independence.....it was a pretty large box....however, I was told that we would be receiving updated info shortly, so I'm not sure if that entails a site-plan revision, or just general updates about the project.......also, the two story Home Depot (there own releases and redering still have teh HD listed as an EXPO, so we will see.....that could be one of the updates) and Target is shown in a rendering with a pretty cool modernist entry-way.

I think Best Buy is the icing on the cake, something that will really benifit uptowners such as dubone from having to drive to university place, pineville or matthews. Flagship store... now that oughta be interesting. I sometimes buy CDs and DVDs at best buy... get computer/electronic accessories there sometimes too. We did buy a big screen TV from there abour 4 years ago too.

^ I'm correcting myself....this looks like the Best Buy will be on the ground floor next to the EXPO ......the updated site plan is a bit confusing.....there is still a junior box on the second level of the Phase II development listed at 57k square feet, but that seems too big for a Best Buy.