Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

16 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

And we get that diminutive thing from them on former Polk site at Gateway. Out of spite since they have to go back for the rezoning lop this thing to 13 floor also.

I am still very spiteful about that, but at least Midtown will finally be getting a high-rise. That office building that is supposed to be built nearby I don't think will get off the ground...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

Northwood Ravin files to build a 28-story apartment building across from Trader Joe's:

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/apartment-tower-planned-for-the-metropolitan

Like I said in the other thread, NWR likes to have 2-3 projects going on at once, in each city the have a presence. At least that was their MO when my last company was working with them, Since they finished up Stonewall and are finishing W. Trade, their only major project is Ballantyne. I expect they are going to announce maybe one more project in the area over the next year, unless they get Scaleybark started

iirc, there was a hotel proposed at this site back in the day too (might have already been mentioned).  Metropolitan has some pretty big anchor retail spots to fill too post covid (Vivace, Hickory Tavern, West Elm).  The At Home announcement was a little anticlimactic for me but should do decent there.  I always thought a Bed Bath & beyond would KILL IT at the old Staples location.  There's not a centrally located one between South Charlotte (485 area) and Concord Mills (which is closing).  Plus they usually always group it around similar shopping destinations (ie best buy, target, marshalls).  Hope the new tower is north of 15 floors.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

iirc, there was a hotel proposed at this site back in the day too (might have already been mentioned).  Metropolitan has some pretty big anchor retail spots to fill too post covid (Vivace, Hickory Tavern, West Elm).  The At Home announcement was a little anticlimactic for me but should do decent there.  I always thought a Bed Bath & beyond would KILL IT at the old Staples location.  There's not a centrally located one between South Charlotte (485 area) and Concord Mills (which is closing).  Plus they usually always group it around similar shopping destinations (ie best buy, target, marshalls).  Hope the new tower is north of 15 floors.

says 25-28 stories tall.  This will help the retail and At Home might attract other non apparel retailers.  I think a HomeGoods would kill it there given the affluence lack of nearby stores and just popularity.  Plus they own Marshalls anyway. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

says 25-28 stories tall.  This will help the retail and At Home might attract other non apparel retailers.  I think a HomeGoods would kill it there given the affluence lack of nearby stores and just popularity.  Plus they own Marshalls anyway. 

At Home and HomeGoods really overlap though right? Now a TJ Maxx would be nice.  

2 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

At Home and HomeGoods really overlap though right? Now a TJ Maxx would be nice.  

they do but Homegoods has a fanatic following and inner Charlotte is a void for them in a metro market that has 7 stores.   They sometimes do combo stores but I think this wealthy inner city location can handle a Homegoods as At Home will draw them into the area. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 2:19 PM, Vitamin_N said:

Any thoughts on what a tower this size would do to traffic on Kings as well as to the already bad parking situation at Metropolitan?

Seeing at they can go up to 285' in height due to the rezoning (I think back in 2014) - I would be surprised if they didn't construct a Podium Style building.  Not sure if there is enough parking at the existing Metropolitan Deck.