Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Just now, DMann said:

Love it, is it real?

Not yet just a proposal as that site needs to be rezoned and a leader from Cherry is against it even though it is not in Cherry.   I thought density was a good thing especially since it is block from the streetcar and commercially zoned right now.  

Planned midtown Charlotte tower draws traffic, housing fears | Charlotte Observer

""Sylvia Bittle-Patton, with the Cherry Community Organization, said the tower could negatively impact the character of the nearby historically Black neighborhood. The current SunTrust building there is just a fraction of the height, she pointed out.""

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Whoa!  look at this proposed apartment tower on the SunTrust site in midtown at Kings and 3rd and 4th St. 

Joe Bruno just tweeted it out

They've oriented the tower so that no one except the end unit has a view of the skyline. That seems like a really strange choice

• Confused 1

I believe the Cherry Neighborhood was paid out big $$$ last time they “objected” to a high rise tower rezoning nearby (on Baldwin I believe). Most likely looking for a similar outcome as that other rezoning was ultimately approved.

Can’t say I blame them if they can use those funds to better their neighborhood.

I mean...I agree completely, but Charlotte used to elect very moderate politicians (or at least pro-growth) for the most part (both R and D) but the current slate of city council is much more "progressive" than 5+ years ago, and this type of debate shouldn't be surprising given the campaign platforms for most council members and their stated focus on affordable housing.  

Robbie - you listed intangible benefits. While affordable housing is a tangible benefit.  Again, I completely agree, but a council member isn't going to run for re-election on less trees knocked down in Union County or the increase in revenue at Devil's Logic brewing.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 10:11 AM, The Real Clayton said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-worklife/article236140483.html

They didn't kill it, I got people to show up en masse in support. It was approved, the only reason it hasn't been built is the anchor fell through due to COVID.

Clayton putting  in the work. Nice :good:

I edit my thought to say this is a different project. The 'original' post is about a building at 3rd, 4th, and Kings.  That link from Clayton is about 3rd, 4th, and Baldwin.

You could write the same article again and it would apply - probably even more so as this one is further from Cherry.

Edited by t_money
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Wow! Seems like so many places have shut down there 

12 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Wow! Seems like so many places have shut down there 

New owners of Midtown shopping center plan a major refresh - Axios Charlotte

Any chance this is leaving because of the "refresh" of the shopping center, as reported back in February?

• Like 1