Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Article in yesterday's Charlotte Axios about Northwood's plans to redevelop Metropolitan. https://charlotte.axios.com/

I can't make much of anything out of the project renderings for the shopping center, however.  Construction on the shopping center is supposed to wrap up by summer, so I'm guessing given the short timeframe for development, the plans aren't anything transformational.

Edited by RANYC

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I'm in favor of removing 277 like many here, but if it's going to stay, damn if I'm not excited for the spectacular views anyone driving down that freeway will get. Going to seriously become one of the more impressive urban freeway views in the country.

So true. And think about the towers in Dillworth that are going up now that will be adding more density on the other side of 277.

Some people call it a funicular railway, others, as in Pittsburgh, use the word incline. The design is that opposing cars on parallel tracks are connected by stout cables. As one car descends with the force of gravity it pulls the other car up to the station at the top. There are brakemen/operators at the bottom and top who operate the mechanism releasing the cars and sell tickets. It was originally to carry workers from the mountain height communities to the coal, steel and industrial locations along the river. Still useful for residents in the now-desired locations with the view, and others. It is not solely a tourist attraction though it serves that purpose. DMann knows.

47 minutes ago, DMann said:

I used to live on Wyoming Street at the top of that "Incline".  Actually it was the other Incline by the Smithfield Bridge.

I'm in favor of removing 277 like many here, but if it's going to stay, damn if I'm not excited for the spectacular views anyone driving down that freeway will get. Going to seriously become one of the more impressive urban freeway views in the country.

Could be a boulevard or a green belt you’ll get a better look if you’re moving slower ;)
  • Like 1

I’m for capping the Belk.

Very hard to imagine the Belk getting removed in our lifetimes.  So many other dominoes to fall for that to happen.  Far too many people drive into uptown for work.

As for metropolitan, weren’t there supposed to be plans to totally reconfigure this shopping center?  Perhaps make it more streetscape-facing?  Give it more of a shopping village or town center feel.  Encourage more strolling (although there is a side of it facing a greenway).   I was convinced we’d hear about some sort of beer garden concept here, but haven’t heard anything yet.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

New high rise apartment tower of up to 250 feet overlooking Pearl St Park in the plans.  

From the Charlotte Ledger this morning:

""Today we bring you the tower news you crave from Midtown, where a developer has filed plans with the city for a 250-foot-high tower along Kenilworth Avenue, between Pearl Street Park and Atrium Health’s Sanger Heart and Vascular Institute. That would likely be 20+ stories tall.  On a vacant 2.2-acre lot within eyeshot of uptown, developer Terwilliger Pappas is proposing to build 350 apartments and 150 hotel rooms, along with up to 24,000 s.f. of retail. The company filed a rezoning request this week.  Terwilliger Pappas and Pappas Properties have been active developers in the Midtown area. They built the adjacent headquarters building for the Canopy Realtor Association and the Atrium-occupied building and are constructing a 328-unit apartment building called Solis Midtown on the same block as the new tower.""

this would be great and I think this is a spot where they proposed more office space so this is better addition. 

Remember a high rise apartment tower is in the works for Metropolitan next to Trader Joes.

Hopefully this will be built. None of the announced towers for Midtown have been built as of yet.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

From the time machine this building was first proposed in... 2015!  Geesh doesn't feel like we first heard about it that long ago.  Apartments added 100 or so units from what was first reported and the huge Atrium deck took some of the original apartment space (maybe?) so that's probably why we're getting 20+ stories now, hotel sounds in line to the original report, but retail was cut in half

https://charlotte.axios.com/22154/breaking-all-the-details-on-the-new-proposed-massive-midtown-project/

All the details on the new proposed massive Midtown project

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1