Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

(as for a sidenote the closing of the street next to the Met project closed today. I can now add an additional 10 minutes to my drive. :angry: . If we are going for Urban Projects, this one gets an F as it is actually hampering urban connectivity. There was No consideration for the comuters from King and Queens who pack into Uptown everyday, me being one of those drivers.)

I noticed that Baxter was closed today too. Here is the info from the charmeck website:

Baxter Street: October 22 - 26, 2006

Closed between Kings Drive South & Kenilworth Avenue

Closed beginning Sunday October 11 lasting approximately 5 days (weather permitting)

Closed due to drainage structure replacement

A detour will be posted

Now, for this Target-based lot, the old cinema site, I think everyone has long known that this is just a more dense version of a big box shopping center. The idea is reduction in vehicle miles traveled, as this is the only Target outside of the 485 area. Yes, it is like a strip mall in function, but not in form.

I am not sure that I believe the theory that you can reduce traffic by building more strip malls. Seems that we have experience the opposite effect for 60+ years.

I'm not saying we can reduce traffic, I'm just saying that people who live in town will have somewhere to go for their warehouse/bigbox store needs without needing to take a 20-25 mile round trip. I know that will cut out at least 80 miles a month for my household.

It isn't really a strip mall, but I accept that it has many of its characteristics. But a 18 mile round trip savings multiplied times hundreds of thousands of trips does contribute positively to the roadway consumption, which is an element of traffic.

I noticed that Baxter was closed today too. Here is the info from the charmeck website:

Baxter Street: October 22 - 26, 2006

Closed between Kings Drive South & Kenilworth Avenue

Closed beginning Sunday October 11 lasting approximately 5 days (weather permitting)

Closed due to drainage structure replacement

A detour will be posted

I haven't been by this site in a little while so I'm not up to date on construction progress, but the current Baxter Street alignment will eventually be permanently closed and relocated with a new bridge over Little Sugar Creek as part of this project connecting Kings to Kenilworth as the creek is eventually daylighted.

Charlotte really needs to work on its sign ordinance.....while it's nice for Charlotte to be known for its cleanliness, it would be nice for some visual landmarks like the "old" JFG sign.

AMEN !!! Spoken like a true Urban Junkie atlrvr! This vanilla, buttoned down, straight laced town, really needs to loosen up. The one thing that screams to me that I am in an Urban Oasis, is Big Bold signage. Neon is Nice too :) . But here in CLT there is almost none to speak of. :(

For Target it would really be nice to see their trademark, "Target" sign illuminated in Neon, high above the passer-by's below on 277. That would grab many people's attention and stir a desire by drivers to check it out.

A2

Edited by A2

Not to get too way off topic..but it would be fun if the city or private sector could sponsor murals for some of blank walls Uptown. Similar to what the developers of Fat City Lofts are doing. It would really give Uptown more flava. Also, add me to the list of Charlotteans annoyed at the closing of Baxter. That was my quick route from Dilworth to my BOA branch on Kings :-(

Edited by voyager12

Charlotte really needs to work on its sign ordinance.....while it's nice for Charlotte to be known for its cleanliness, it would be nice for some visual landmarks like the "old" JFG sign.

Get that "Jesus Saves" sign lit on that old building off West Trade going towards JCSU; that would make for a nice visual landmark. Right now the closest Charlotte has is probably the uptown flower shop on Tryon.

• 1 month later...

I still can't believe that parking deck doesn't have a Wendy's in the corner at the street level. Argh.

Also, is that the loading dock for the Target being built on Kings, or is that something like an entry plaza? I thought the docs were out of site in the valley between the building and the SECU next door.

I still can't believe that parking deck doesn't have a Wendy's in the corner at the street level. Argh.

Also, is that the loading dock for the Target being built on Kings, or is that something like an entry plaza? I thought the docs were out of site in the valley between the building and the SECU next door.

What do you mean it doesn't have a Wendy's? Or you meant that the Wendy's should have been incorporated somehow with the parking deck? Because they rebuilt the Wendy's in a new building separate from the deck.

Yeah, the second one. I have mentioned it a few times before, but I can't believe the Wendy's refused to be incorporated into the project in any way other than a replacement of their suburban style building. So that is what they got. So now we have a suburban Wendy's and a parking deck with no retail at the street.