Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Here's a reference (to a site linked from the MPHA site referenced above) with some indication of factors behind the street design:

http://www.cmhpf.org/educationneighhistmyerspark.htm

Specifically:

Nolen discarded the old Charlotte grid, which he termed "unnatural checkerboard streets on an undulating surface." Instead he drew gently curving avenues that followed the topography. Also unlike the old village, there were a variety of street widths. "Not every street is a carrier of traffic," he observed, "Some merely lead to the home." Nolen's plan featured grand boulevards 110 feet wide feeding a web of narrower residential byways. The streetplan was intentionally complicated, both for picturesque effect and to ensure the residents' privacy. Myers Park was to be a self-contained suburban glen, not a through-traffic route.

That particular bit doesn't carry a citation, so it may be sharing an old story as well of course.

Edited by lptk

When I went to First Ward for fourth and fifth grade (bused in from off Monroe Road near the then city limit), I was taught (right or wrong) uptownliving's explanation. Giving instructions to "Queens Road" without specifiying East, West or "plain" Queens, and thinking of them as a single street, not a self-contained loop, could lead outsiders to just giving up, which we almost did. Resident's privacy = keeping out riff-raff, especailly with the trolley line.

A freebie/tourist map put us on East Queens heading north, then missing the turn onto Queens, taking Radcliffe to a crossing West Queens, turning right on there and having that turn into Kings Drive with no indication that West Queens went east there was a hair pulling fit. I told her it was set up to prevent through traffic, which she didn't belive till we were in the middle of it.

Google still has "South Independence".. I wonder how long that will take to fix.

The wife hates Capitol Blvd and Garner too... she's an equal opportunity hater who would live in Chapel Hill if it was an affordable option.

I love this idea of 'riff raff' getting out maps, and going really slow as they near an intersection to read the street sign. "Yo, I said turn yo ass onto Edgehill, beotch." "Dawg, I was on Queen's Road West, and the map said to turn left of Queen's Road, but now I'm on Granville mutha fudgea." "Then turn yo ass around." "Nah, I think we cross Queen's three more time, shorty." "Ah, forget it, let's just go back to the hood."

Somehow, I don't think it works that way. Plus, when the streets were named and designed, all the riff raff needed to do was hop on the trolley and pay dime. Plus, they generally wanted the riff raff there, as they had a special door for them to come in, the service entrance.

(Hopefully you guys see my point, and it is certainly not to offend anyone).

Actually, S Independence was already being considered for a renaming, and then the MLK Blvd issue came up and everyone was surprised that it was not selected as the site. So now we have two streets renamed instead of one. Smudgie wanted a site uptown, near the Nascar Hall of Fame, and in Brooklyn. So Stonewall and 2nd were the only real options (leaving 2nd when Stonewall became too controversial).

I had favored S Independence as MLK, but I'm okay now with 2nd Street being selected (although I do wish they had opted for truth in advertizing by calling it MLK Street).

Anyway, so this street has long been recommended for renaming with the confusion it creates by remaining Independence. 'Charlottetown' seems fitting, so it was a good choice.

So is East Independance going to get the "East" dropped?

When I went to First Ward for fourth and fifth grade (bused in from off Monroe Road near the then city limit), I was taught (right or wrong) uptownliving's explanation. Giving instructions to "Queens Road" without specifiying East, West or "plain" Queens, and thinking of them as a single street, not a self-contained loop, could lead outsiders to just giving up, which we almost did. Resident's privacy = keeping out riff-raff, especailly with the trolley line.

A freebie/tourist map put us on East Queens heading north, then missing the turn onto Queens, taking Radcliffe to a crossing West Queens, turning right on there and having that turn into Kings Drive with no indication that West Queens went east there was a hair pulling fit. I told her it was set up to prevent through traffic, which she didn't belive till we were in the middle of it.

Google still has "South Independence".. I wonder how long that will take to fix.

The wife hates Capitol Blvd and Garner too... she's an equal opportunity hater who would live in Chapel Hill if it was an affordable option.

My understanding is that the change wasn't official until this week? One would assume it would take Google a while to pick up the change. They are pretty quick about things like that though.

"Yo, I said turn yo ass onto Edgehill, beotch." "Dawg, I was on Queen's Road West, and the map said to turn left of Queen's Road, but now I'm on Granville mutha fudgea." "Then turn yo ass around." "Nah, I think we cross Queen's three more time, shorty." "Ah, forget it, let's just go back to the hood."

LMAO+++ :rofl:

07-03-2007

Metropolitan / Target

kings dr

2007_07_03_metro01.jpg

loading dock

2007_07_03_metro02.jpg

entrance to store and deck

2007_07_03_metro03.jpg

2007_07_03_metro04.jpg

2007_07_03_metro05.jpg

much improved street section

2007_07_03_metro06.jpg

stair tower

2007_07_03_metro07.jpg

main entrance

2007_07_03_metro08.jpg

store entrance and sign/canopy

2007_07_03_metro09.jpg

It would be nice if the target had a front door at a street instead of hidden between the deck and building.

fancy light

2007_07_03_metro10.jpg

2007_07_03_metro11.jpg

2007_07_03_metro14.jpg

2007_07_03_metro18.jpg

2007_07_03_metro19.jpg

2007_07_03_metro20.jpg

2007_07_03_metro21.jpg

2007_07_03_metro25.jpg

2007_07_03_metro26.jpg

missed opportunity

2007_07_03_metro27.jpg

2007_07_03_metro28.jpg

2007_07_03_metro29.jpg

Edited by Mugen682

Thanks for the great update! I noticed in one of your photos, one of the banners on the side of the deck called the Home Depot store a "Home Depot Design Center." I thought it was going to be an EXPO Design Center? Is there really a difference or did they phase out the EXPO concept because I don't remember any more stores opening in recent years?

I agree with all the editorial comments in that photo string. Thanks for taking all of these, as they are very detailed.

I notice that they are putting up mast arms in all the new intersections here, so I bet they are not leaving the intersection of Stonewall and McDowell as lights from wires. I bet it is just a temporary condition while they put up new mast arms that can reach across the new lane configuration.

The city is doing a decent job of making those improvements around the greenway aesthetically upgraded. I like that the bridge is getting the treatment that bridges used to get, with a more ornate concrete barrier. I'm not a big fan of stamped concrete, but I guess if they had to go with concrete for price or other purposes, that stamped is better than not.

The King's facade is a permanent detraction from this project. It is such a shame that those spaces are more valuable than extra retail space that could be used to attract more businesses to the area.

Wow, well I said that was one very thorough update! Looks like it's coming along very smoothly. I have noticed the bridge improvements and might I say that it looks wonderful. Stamped concrete should look great, being a huge fan of it. Like you said anything better than reg concrete. Brick would have done nicely too though, to match those beautiful paths. Thanks again for thos pics.

The King's facade is a permanent detraction from this project. It is such a shame that those spaces are more valuable than extra retail space that could be used to attract more businesses to the area.

Thank you. This development missed a prime opportunity by turning its back to Kings.

My wife and I tried to bike the Sugar Creek Greenway all the way from Freedom to Cordella Park this weekend and I did my best to follow alongside the future pathways and through the developments. While I was out there, I really wished I had a map so I could understand every little thing I was seeing. Of course, everything looks different on paper than it does in real life, and there is still a lot of work to do on this thing, but I had some time and started looking over the PDF on Charmeck.org about the stretches of the greenway and the developments. I found it easier to combine the Kings map, and the CPCC map to get a real feeling for the whole system...and then I just got carried away and placed some of the pictures I had taken (and some other's), into their respective spots. I even put little red arrows to show the direction the photographer was facing. It was helpful for me, so I thought I would share.

mtmapdx4.jpg

My wife and I tried to bike the Sugar Creek Greenway all the way from Freedom to Cordella Park this weekend and I did my best to follow alongside the future pathways and through the developments. While I was out there, I really wished I had a map so I could understand every little thing I was seeing. Of course, everything looks different on paper than it does in real life, and there is still a lot of work to do on this thing, but I had some time and started looking over the PDF on Charmeck.org about the stretches of the greenway and the developments. I found it easier to combine the Kings map, and the CPCC map to get a real feeling for the whole system...and then I just got carried away and placed some of the pictures I had taken (and some other's), into their respective spots. I even put little red arrows to show the direction the photographer was facing. It was helpful for me, so I thought I would share.

mtmapdx4.jpg

Wow! I must say fantastic job. I hadn't seen any of that map before and it sure looks nice. Look at those intersections along Kings Drive. I know it's just a preliminary sketch, but if we get some brick intersections than I would be very happy. That map really is exciting, actually. Looking at it there's a lot more going on in that area then I had expected. It's really going to have just a tremendous pedestrian presence.

The lights at Charlottetowne Blvd. and Kenilworth were working today -- they were just flashing, but I guess they will be working for real tomorrow if the scheduled opening of the street will actually happens (It was supposed to be the 21st, right?). They painted the lines and turning arrows on the street this week, so I think they are ready. Does anyone know if Baxter will immediately be closed upon the opening of this street?

The lights at Charlottetowne Blvd. and Kenilworth were working today -- they were just flashing, but I guess they will be working for real tomorrow if the scheduled opening of the street will actually happens (It was supposed to be the 21st, right?). They painted the lines and turning arrows on the street this week, so I think they are ready. Does anyone know if Baxter will immediately be closed upon the opening of this street?

If memory servers me correctly the lights have to flash yellow for one week before they are put into service. The reason behind this is to get drivers aware of the new stoplight. I was just jogging over there this afternoon and they were putting down lines and the reflectors on both Kenilworth and Charlottetowne. The road really looks great and the sidewalks are much needed and welcomed. Also, the Home Depot Design Center sign is up next to the Target Sign as well as other store signange on Kings Drive.

If memory servers me correctly the lights have to flash yellow for one week before they are put into service. The reason behind this is to get drivers aware of the new stoplight. I was just jogging over there this afternoon and they were putting down lines and the reflectors on both Kenilworth and Charlottetowne. The road really looks great and the sidewalks are much needed and welcomed. Also, the Home Depot Design Center sign is up next to the Target Sign as well as other store signange on Kings Drive.

I think you are right about that the light has to blink yellow for a week. I remember some other projects in other cities where things were done, but they had to wait to utilize the road to its full effect in order to make pedestrians and drivers aware of the changes.