uptownliving

Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

Charlottetowne's intersection with Kenilworth is now open with functioning traffic lights. They also put in the permanent entrance into the Wendy's. I still wish the Wendy's was more of an urban design.

I think the best part of those pictures is seeing the creek open and all of that GREEN (for the most part) grass growing. Can't wait for them to put in the sidewalks and other plants.

Edited by Raintree21

The office tower is really coming along. I agree about the greenway, it's just the beginning to the large picture of the project, but it will look amazing with plans and trails. I must say that the work done on the bridge is quite grand. I love those cement pillars and railings, and really encourages people to walk across.

I think the best part of those pictures is seeing the creek open and all of that GREEN (for the most part) grass growing. Can't wait for them to put in the sidewalks and other plants.

Well then here ya go :) (we need some rain...)

83526981.jpg

Edited by Mobuchu

Lol, we might end up getting all green out of it, and no water, whatsoever. Anyone have any idea how deep the stream will be (typically) when things are said and done.

Lol, we might end up getting all green out of it, and no water, whatsoever. Anyone have any idea how deep the stream will be (typically) when things are said and done.

I used to live beside and walk the part of the creek just south of this by the hospital. Typically it was 1 - 3 feet deep and about the width in the photos above if not a bit wider. They are also supposed to better landscape this and add the stones that are stored on the lot across from Metropolitan. They did this downstream, making eddys, curves, and rapids. It turned out really nice actually.

Baxter Street was closed today. The road blocks are up. I'm ready for them to tear down that bridge and build a nicer one like Charlottetowne Blvd.

What's the timetable on bridge demolition and reconstruction? How long was Charlottetown Blvd. out of service? I wonder if it was longer than normal due to the construction of Midtown and the greenway demolition and since both of those are pretty much out of the way, Baxter's bridge might be done quicker.

In answer to my own question, The Observer said today that the Charlotte Department of Transportation has closed Baxter Street permanently between Kenilworth Avenue and South Kings Drive. Motorists will detour over the new Charlottetown Avenue bridge.

I don't think that article is saying that they won't build a new bridge to replace Baxter. It is simply alerting people in the near term to plan to use Charlottetowne bridge. That was a middle-america article, and middle-america doesn't care about bridge planning, they just want to know what to take tomorrow afternoon now that their habitual route has been closed.

I don't think they need to be in a hurry, however, to rebuild a new bridge. I'm sure Charlottetowne has just as much capacity as the old bridge, if not more. I do hope they build a new bridge in the long term for connectivity reasons, but it isn't like it necessarily should be a priority. I'm sure they will, as they have free money from Pappas to help pay for it.

I have been told by a by the fire marshall that the Target / Home Depot have "failed miserably" in its fire inspection. This may delay things a little.

I wouldn't say that. You could fail miserably for any number of things and they still have over a month to make corrections before the first store opens. Unless the FM found some sort of structural problem like the fire walls are wrong or something, these problems should be easily fixed.

Hmm...I think of TJ Maxx and Marshalls as competitors...so I think that means that Marshalls is gone. I prefer TJ Maxx anyways.

I thought they were part of the same company. TJ Maxx is a better fit for this development

No, TJ Maxx and Marshals are not owned by the same company. I believe TJ Maxx owns HomeGoods.

TJX Companies, Inc. owns all all of them (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods and AJ Wright in the USA).

However, they don't tend to co-locate their TJ Maxx and Marshalls in the same shopping centers though [at least in this city] So I was saying if TJ Maxx is in, Marshalls probably won't be locating here. By the way, Marshalls and Home Goods are being co-located in Blakeney in South Charlotte.

Edited by DigitalSky

Thanks for clearing that up. Even if they wanted both a TJ Maxx and Marshalls I don't think there is enough space to do that at the Midtown site. I am glad it will be a TJ Maxx, I like their selection better than Marshalls.

is the project opening of the Target still October?? I work in Dilworth so it can't open fast enough for me...Shopping on my lunch hour sounds great!!

I drove by (and through) the site for the first time this weekend. I'm underwhelmed.

I'll reserve judgement until it's finished, but the Kings Road treatment is decidedly pedistrian unfriendly. Walking to this development is going to be an issue, and there are no efforts to connect the project to the rest of Midtown. Sure everything across the street is auto-centric...but a grand opportunity was wasted, as this project will spur on other retail projects as well. Instead of establish design standards, it's telling other developers that it's ok to orient around the car.

I'm excited about how it integrates into the Greenway, but this misses the mark in becoming a "hub" of Midtown. It seems isolated and almost uninviting from Kings.

I think the city was so excited about the redevelopment of the site that they brushed aside any thoughts of making this project more pedestrian friendly, and dare I say, urban.

True not too many are going to walk to Target and buy a plasma TV, but a few tweaks here and there would have at least allowed for a better model of how things could be.