Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 1 month later...

From today's Observer:http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/10830167.htm

Uptown DIY crowd may soon have Lowe's

An uptown Lowe's? It's in the works, Bob Tillman told the Big I before stepping down last month as CEO of the home-improvement chain. In fact, the chain had a deal to join the massive remake of Midtown Square but pulled out because it was too pricey, Tillman said. Home Depot then moved on the space.

"You'll see Lowe's stores in inner-city Charlotte, Raleigh," he said.

I hadn't realized that Lowe's was originally eyeing the spot, but i wonder where Lowe's will build a big-box store uptown, there aren't too many spaces left, unless they build parking under the store. It will be really cool, if they do because Home Depot's Expo center doesn't have the basic hardware stuff (from what i understand). It isn't like Wendover/Monroe and South/Woodlawn are that far, though, to go to the current home depot's, but having a Lowe's uptown will be a nice addition (especially since Lowe's is a NC/Charlotte Metro company). Lowes + Home Depot Expo + Target + any other national retailers at Grubb-Elizabeth Ave i think will create he critical representation that will draw the rest. I think we are just a few years away from having sufficient numbers of national retailers within a few miles of uptown.

From today's Observer:http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/10830167.htm

Uptown DIY crowd may soon have Lowe's

An uptown Lowe's? It's in the works, Bob Tillman told the Big I before stepping down last month as CEO of the home-improvement chain. In fact, the chain had a deal to join the massive remake of Midtown Square but pulled out because it was too pricey, Tillman said. Home Depot then moved on the space.

"You'll see Lowe's stores in inner-city Charlotte, Raleigh," he said.

I hadn't realized that Lowe's was originally eyeing the spot, but i wonder where Lowe's will build a big-box store uptown, there aren't too many spaces left, unless they build parking under the store.  It will be really cool, if they do because Home Depot's Expo center doesn't have the basic hardware stuff (from what i understand).  It isn't like Wendover/Monroe and South/Woodlawn are that far, though, to go to the current home depot's, but having a Lowe's uptown will be a nice addition (especially since Lowe's is a NC/Charlotte Metro company).  Lowes + Home Depot Expo + Target + any other national retailers at Grubb-Elizabeth Ave i think will create he critical representation that will draw the rest.  I think we are just a few years away from having sufficient numbers of national retailers within a few miles of uptown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would they go in the Elizabeth area along 3rd you think? I thought maybe on North Tryon right outside of 277.

I think the article is a bit misleading. Bob Tillman was referring to urban/infill sites, not necessarily "uptown". Lowe's is currently buying up land along Mecham off of South Blvd. just south of David Furman's Village at Southend. It will certainly be a more urban Lowe's with rooftop parking and multi-family units buffering the store from the residential McDonald St.

I doubt we will ever see a Lowe's within I-277, but this site is a good location IMO.

• Like 1

I think the article is a bit misleading.  Bob Tillman was referring to urban/infill sites, not necessarily "uptown".  Lowe's is currently buying up land along Mecham off of South Blvd. just south of David Furman's Village at Southend.  It will certainly be a more urban Lowe's with rooftop parking and multi-family units buffering the store from the residential McDonald St.

I doubt we will ever see a Lowe's within I-277, but this site is a good location IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is likely where it will go, then. Honestly, i don't think any large retailers will be within 277, but i had assumed it would go generally between morehead/kings and 7th/hawthorne. That general area (myersparkmidlizcherrytown or whatever neighborhood it really is) seems to be the most serious concentration of current and future retail near 277, but south blvd would be a great place, too. In fact South Blvd south of atherton still needs major redev, so lowe's would do wonders for that area.

Rooftop parking for bigbox retail would be awesome if it became a trend. I wonder how much it adds to the cost, considering how much less the they'd need to spend on run-off remediation, etc.

Since this thread mentions Target, looks as if the SuperTarget is in fact coming to the Northlake Mall area. I suppose the original billing of this mall being New Urbanist, pedestrian friendly, TOD, etc etc. was just window dressing. This will be the first SuperTarget in the Charlotte city limits. (In Meck cnty too)

In reply to the initial post.. are those the actual rezoning plans submitted? From my understanding of the Midtown project, the zoning changes should extend beyond Baxter Street. Also, it appears that some of the zones in the Cherry do not appear to be correct. The R6 zone between Torrence/Baldwin, Ranlo and Luther should reflect single family. Does anyone know if this was either an oversight on the Pappas project or if recent Zoning changes where made in Cherry.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Charleston last night looking at the way Saks anchors King St.  It would be great to have Saks anchor Elizabeth Ave. the same way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be nice to see Saks as an anchor in a midtown district like Elizabeth; it would certainly give the neighborhood enough pull to land some national chain stores and designer boutiques. But I think they could have other plans.

Like I said in http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8744

I don't think Dick's [sporting Goods] has a future at SouthPark. The couple of times I went on the weekend, the place was really dead while the mall was bustling. Hopefully all the new restaurants and bookstore will push some people closer to it and pump up the activity.

If not, the store is almost exactly the size building that Saks wanted to put up at Seven Eagles.

"Midtown" Charlotte is actually a very old name that has recently become more popular. My adopted father, who grew up in Charlotte during the 1950s, as well as others in his generation (like my former employer in Charlotte) used the term a lot to describe the area around Presbyterian Hospital, etc.

Now the imaginary line between Uptown and Midtown is I-277. I would say that Midtown extends SE out to Caswell Rd/Pecan Ave, or somewhere in that general area. Everything SE of that is considerably less urban and more vintage suburban.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

Does anyone know the break down of projects going on in midtown Charlotte?

I know about the target/home dep. thing but is there anything else?

The green way is going through there right... is there any talk of high rises?

When I look at this little area of Charlotte I see such great potential being that its so close to dt. I would love to see this become a hot bed for retail, hotel, and residential.

Any word or thoughts on the matter?

The Target/Home Depot site will be built where the existing movie theatre is.....then there will be shops and offices where the closed mall is and across the street on the surface lot....there will be a 14-15 story residential tower where the Exxon station is as well......

At some point I think that a fair number of the strip centers on Kings will be redeveloped, but there is nothing currently in the works that I know of......The big piece of land between Kings, Independence and 3rd is for sale, and there have been rumors of serious interest, though no one has stepped forward yet......that is a key piece since it connects the Elizabeth Ave area to the Midtown Square redevelopment...

• Like 1

At some point I think that a fair number of the strip centers on Kings will be redeveloped, but there is nothing currently in the works that I know of......The big piece of land between Kings, Independence and 3rd is for sale, and there have been rumors of serious interest, though no one has stepped forward yet......that is a key piece since it connects the Elizabeth Ave area to the Midtown Square redevelopment...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also think that redevelopment along Kings will happen after the greenway opens and Midtown is redeveloped. The greenway master plan has fairly aggressive changes for Midtown and CPCC areas. The realignment of Kings north of 4th should open up more space for development. The land between 3rd, Independence, and Kings will be key to linking the area.

Greenway Master Plan Maps

The Target/Home Depot site will be built where the existing movie theatre is.....then there will be shops and offices where the closed mall is and across the street on the surface lot....there will be a 14-15 story residential tower where the Exxon station is as well......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so Really theres just those three projects then... I really hope this area booms like the rest of dt... it could be an awsome area