Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I'm not sure what the expectations would have been that it would be different from other stores, but for the other national stores that are opening, we should remember that they have store layout, merchandising, and so on down to a science. When the Lowe's opens, it will be just like any other Lowe's within the store. That is the whole idea, and one reason they worked so hard to get a standard sized store, so they wouldn't need to do any strange trade-offs and try to figure out which products to cut out.

As for the soccer moms, think about how good it is that the suburban people would be coming in from the middle ring to spend their money rather than spend their money around 485. What that means is that when they start doing trip-sharing that they'll start supporting other restaurants and retail in the vicinity. That is a very good thing for building up the retail in advance of the population being there enough to support it themselves.

Retail and residential have a chicken-egg quandry. So it is great to have those soccer moms help bridge the gap and allow the retail to survive here.

I noted last night in the greenway thread that they are starting to dig down some on Little Sugar Creek back towards Morehead which I assume is so they can install landscaping and sidewalks. Perhaps this will continue up to Midtown and this is where they can put in the shops as well.

Edited by Raintree21

On a critical note, I'm a bit annoyed that they didn't use some day-lighting in the store. Even Walmart used skylights to supplement fluorescent lighting during the day in their Wilkinson store. Not only do you save the electricity for lighting, but you also prevent the energy from baking the roof as much, which is a major source of urban heat islands (sun baked roofs and baked roads = warmer cities = warmer climate overall). Lately Walmart has been doing more initiatives to be greener, including requiring sustainable agricultural practices, and pushing energy efficient products. Their Wilkinson store not only uses the skylights, but also had stained concrete flooring rather than an additional flooring product like Target did. At some point, Target needs to recognize that it needs to start doing these things to protect their brand. In the future, if Walmart proves itself to not just be greenwashing, their brand could see a resurgance (rather than symbolizing evil, like it does to many today), and Target's star could fall a bit.

I was looking at Target's corporate page, and they actually seem to be doing a little more than Wal-Mart (or at least equally) to help the enviornment, including building a few LEED certified stores (one or two, but it's a start I guess).

There was a link, but it looks like they have a dynamic web address, so it changes for that. Go to Target Corp Homepage and click on "Protecting the Environment"

Edited by pk_brennan

Anybody been over the Home Depot yet? It was supposed to open today right? The Observer has an article on it today. They say the main differences are there is not a lumber or outdoor garden center. These are replaced by a larger furniture section. The hopes that more house decorations and furniture will make the store more friendly and inviting to women.

Anybody been over the Home Depot yet? It was supposed to open today right? The Observer has an article on it today. They say the main differences are there is not a lumber or outdoor garden center. These are replaced by a larger furniture section. The hopes that more house decorations and furniture will make the store more friendly and inviting to women.

I actually went last night. It opened about 6 PM and stayed open till 9. It's a pretty cool concept. They have flooring, lighting, some appliances, cabinetry, etc. They also, as said above, have home decorations and lots of storage options. It doesn't look like a Home Depot really at all.

They had deserts and drinks last night that were free for shoppers. I think they were having a breakfast today for customers. Everyday through the weekend they had something special going on as part of their grand opening. It's really a cool store, and walking in front with both levels lit and shoppers coming and going, it looks really urban and nice. It has the feel of a much larger city when you're there.

I went to Home Depot today, actually just got back. I was very impressed with it, and it was packed with happy customers, also. Yes- there was no lumber, that was the biggest thing I noticed. The other think it was so clean (yes b/c its new), but theres also more furniture and displays vs a warehouse feel. I like it there a lot and was very impressed with the layout and the feel to it. It didn't feel like a Home Depot, kind of opposite to the Target that felt exactly like a Target inside. Awesome addition to the Met, I earge all to check it out you should be thoroughly impressed. A lot more stuff there and on beautiful display than an ordinary Home Depot.

^ Ok...I'm not a marketing genius for this type of venture, but exactly WHAT would anyone buy from there?

When I go to Lowe's or HD, I go to get tools, lumber, grass seed, shovels, light bulbs, and other really generic home improvement items. When I want furniture or appliances, or light fixtures, I go specialty stores where they have good selection, knowledge, etc.

Is this designed for someone who says, "I need to renovate my house 100%, and I know the one store that can handle it?"

^ Ok...I'm not a marketing genius for this type of venture, but exactly WHAT would anyone buy from there?

When I go to Lowe's or HD, I go to get tools, lumber, grass seed, shovels, light bulbs, and other really generic home improvement items. When I want furniture or appliances, or light fixtures, I go specialty stores where they have good selection, knowledge, etc.

Is this designed for someone who says, "I need to renovate my house 100%, and I know the one store that can handle it?"

If you are looking for lumber, than no this is not the place. It has about everything else, except an OUTSIDE garden area, although does have some indoor plans and lots of outdoor setups, like outdoor kitchens. Also I am no marketing genious, but I do think this is the right fit for uptown. Most people in uptown aren't looking for 2-by-4's, but are instead looking for renovating a condo or decorating their condo or uptown "pad". This place has it, everything you can imagine. Modern sinks, awesome lighting, furniture and decorating stuff, and of course counter-tops and kitchen cabinets that you would see in a kitchen renovation in uptown. I think it will do well, personally, but it is a valid point to consider what they are offering vs. a regular Home Depot, when much of the Home Depot market is looking for wood and stuff. It's definitly different from the HD norm, but they had seemed to be doing a lot of business when I was there for people looking to purchase appliances and renovations, just on its first day. Plus it seems like it will be a good spot for all of the construction workers that are building these skyscrappers to go get a new tool on the way or pick up some tile for a special request in a condo unit, etc.

I guess my concern is that we have several great tile distributers, appliance distributers, lighting shops, fixture shops, etc.....all within a couple of blocks of each other in the South End. I hope this one store doesn't wipe out a decade of entrepreneurism. It seems lots of people like the convenience of one-stop-shopping, so maybe this store will do great at the expense of the specialty stores.

I guess my concern is that we have several great tile distributers, appliance distributers, lighting shops, fixture shops, etc.....all within a couple of blocks of each other in the South End. I hope this one store doesn't wipe out a decade of entrepreneurism. It seems lots of people like the convenience of one-stop-shopping, so maybe this store will do great at the expense of the specialty stores.

I would think that the urban Lowe's in S. End would have a greater impact on these, given the Met is a bit further away, and kind of serves a different section of the market.

True, but none of them offer "Zero percent financing for 18 months". It also gives the homeowner instant gratification. When I bought high end tile from Renaissance, it took 6 weeks for it to arrive. That same tile (from the same vendor, no less) is available at this Home Depot Design Center in a box right there in the store. But you are right, it acts no differently than Wal Mart does. It very well may put some smaller dealers out of business.

I actually went today. The store is a hybrid of HomeExpo and Home Depot. There are only two of these stores in the country: Charlotte and Concord, CA. I bought paint, some pumbing supplies, and light bulbs (compact florescents). Pretty easy to find everything. But unlike others who have posted in this thread, I think the parking garage is terrible. Ingress and egress are strange. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why CDOT didn't put a left turn lane on Charlottetowne Ave for the place. Traffic was backed up all the way to Stonewall/Kenilworth today for those making a left turn into the project. Oddly, there is a left turn lane from Charlottetowne into the other side of the delveopment.

And for the life of me, I can't figure out why CDOT didn't put a left turn lane on Charlottetowne Ave for the place. Traffic was backed up all the way to Stonewall/Kenilworth today for those making a left turn into the project. Oddly, there is a left turn lane from Charlottetowne into the other side of the delveopment.

Ah yes- the traffic, it wasn't pretty. If you come out of the parking garage onto Kings, it's terrible, they should have designed that differently, and Charlottetown Ave was backed up. There is no turn lanes anywhere it seems. The parking garage itself, I disagree, and like it very much. Although it was cramped when someone brought there gynormous monster truck and parked it in the 15 minute express parking blocking the 2 way to a one way. Other than that, there is good lighting, it feels safe, the roof is high enough on all levels, there is plenty of parking and cart corrals, and there are tons of signs all over expressing one way ramps, manoverability around the garage, and where the Home Depot vs. Target is and entrances for the stores.

I think once all of the lane closures are finished, traffic will ease up tremendously. Also, take away the newness factor of the place and that should help with congestion as well.

Yes- it certainly is a struggle with Kings down to one lane. But traffic in a way is going to increase once all of the shops and Trader Joes opens up. Hopefully by this point we will see a greater number of pedestrian foot/bicycle traffic and hopefully add some turning lanes and extra signals to navigate traffic around better.

Just got back myself. I am thoroughly impressed with Home Depot. Its just a cool idea for a big store, and it has a much more urban and useful feel to the market it serves than a normal home depot. (I am a general contractor, and wasn't expecting a contractor's supply store and thank god didn't walk into one) I was pleasantly surprised at all of the specialty items they had in stock and appreciate all of the design options they offered in one place.

Enough of kissing home depot's rear end; Overall, I like how it all flows together with Target, the deck, the impending Best Buy, Marshalls, Staples, Trader Joe's, etc. (Traffic patterns excluded).

When does the greenway get built to 3rd and beyond? I had thought they were doing some of that with this project, but I left to head to 3rd, and I had to walk up a landscaped hill to get there. Not very urban to only have a way out on two sides. I know it'll be fine when the greenway does come, but it is annoying for now.

I also walked along Stonewall along the new streetscape, and while halfway across the crosswalk, a big lady in her big minivan zoomed around the corner toward the freeway going about a foot away from me. It is nice to know that unless I am burning gas, my life is not valued by the people around me. I slapped the last side window, so I hope I startled her a bit.

As for the store, I haven't seen anything like it. Even the places in SouthEnd do not have some of the things at this one. After having recently renovated a bathroom, I think that this store would have helped, but I also would have felt the need to shop the other stores (and based on what we selected, they would not have been at this store). Choices are good, and for the most part, all of them are fronts for catalog ordering.

It was nice to still have a hardware section, but I wonder how they will compete when a full fledged Lowe's opens up. The holiday stuff looked WAY tacky, and really brought down the brand for as someplace that focused on higher end design. It seemed very 'middle America' to me.

I did get the sense from a number of things that this will be a store that people from all over the city will come to. That is a very good thing overall.

Ah thanks for the pics, things are looking good on that side.

Speaking of their line of products, I was amazed to see industrial strength refrigerators for 8000 dollars big enough for me to live in. They had a good selection of products that I would deem "hard to find, have to order from a specialty shop or custom purchase". I would imagine a lot of people will come here instead of waiting weeks or months to get something for a renovation or a contractor that is under the pressure to finish a project for a client.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of their line of products, I was amazed to see industrial strength refrigerators for 8000 dollars big enough for me to live in. They had a good selection of products that I would deem "hard to find, have to order from a specialty shop or custom purchase". I would imagine a lot of people will come here instead of waiting weeks or months to get something for a renovation or a contractor that is under the pressure to finish a project for a client.

^If this is your thing, there are $13,000 fridges at the HHGregg fine lines store at Northlake. They have about everthing that someone building an over the top kitchen could want so the Home Depot isn't really that unique. It's been open for quite a while as reported here on UrbanPlanet. Most of the Lowes stores near the lake have similar types of appliances. I don't understand however why someone would want to outfit an urban condo with appliances designed for suburban living. Seems contrary to the who "concept" of why one chooses to live in an urban environment. Opps, we are talking about Charlotte, nvm.

On a related note, I finally went to see how the Met turned out and as I predicted months ago, it's basically a big traffic jam and it's not even fully open yet. While I did not see the single pedestrian, the place was jam packed with cars and there were two people fighting over one of the spaces outside the target. I predict the same thing for the "urban" Lowes when it opens. Big box retail is well..... big box retail and designed for hauling home vast amounts of stuff at cheap prices. It really doesn't matter where it is located.