Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

I think most of the early buzz, and current buzz is that this will be the next evolution of the Philipps Place/Birkdale Village concept, and they'll have mostly chains, but they'll also likely have some room for some local boutiques. We'll see how it turns out. We really don't know what is filling to small spaces, but we know there are lots of them both on Metropolitan Avenue and facing the greenway.

I meant to mention, to clarify atlrvr's comment, that while FMW has been terrible in the other work in the area (Bojangles, particularly), so far the ABC and the Original Pancake house are both fairly pedestrian oriented and urban, and I think that the drive of putting so much retail in that land is causing them to look to a more urban design. The article mentioned using Charlottetowne and King's as pedestrian corridors.

Chili's?? Please say it ain't so! :sick:

That video fly-through, although it seems to have "resurfaced" on Urban Planet, is quite old, its been around nearly 2 years. In fact, it has been posted in this topic before I believe. I would not give the chilis much credit because we would have heard it sometime as an included tenant.

I meant to mention, to clarify atlrvr's comment, that while FMW has been terrible in the other work in the area (Bojangles, particularly), so far the ABC and the Original Pancake house are both fairly pedestrian oriented and urban, and I think that the drive of putting so much retail in that land is causing them to look to a more urban design. The article mentioned using Charlottetowne and King's as pedestrian corridors.

Is the Pancake House pedestrian oriented? I drove by late at night last week and I didn't see an entrance facing the street...

As long as it is zoned for suburban use, I'm not expecting too much.

I wish the Pancake House had more windows facing Charlottetowne...but there is indeed an entrance facing Charlottetowne Ave complete with a connecting sidewalk. I certainly hope that FMW orients this project towards the surrounding streets and puts parking on the interior of the property. Although the Met Midtown certainly is not a good example for them to follow.

So I was looking at the Sugar Creek part of the Metropolitan development, and there doesn't seem like there is enough room for the plaza part of this project without having to reroute the stream as the building currently butts right up against the creek. Can anyone confirm if they will actually reroute the creek?

Hmm, does look to be a bit tight. Could just be the angle of the shot or there could be an alteration in the plans.

Can't speak to this project in particular, but a lot of stream restorations do reroute the stream when there's enough space to do so. A straightened, channelized stream like the current Little Sugar Creek has a steeper slope and therefore faster flow than a natural, meandering stream.

I wish the Pancake House had more windows facing Charlottetowne...but there is indeed an entrance facing Charlottetowne Ave complete with a connecting sidewalk. I certainly hope that FMW orients this project towards the surrounding streets and puts parking on the interior of the property. Although the Met Midtown certainly is not a good example for them to follow.

Where exactly is the OPH? I knew they were moving to this project, but wasn't sure where. I'm surprised they closed on So. Blvd. before the new place was open. I assume their lease was up. Surprised they couldn't do something month to month since their old space doesn't look to be in use by anyone else yet. Anyone know what's going on with the old place?

Where exactly is the OPH? I knew they were moving to this project, but wasn't sure where. I'm surprised they closed on So. Blvd. before the new place was open. I assume their lease was up. Surprised they couldn't do something month to month since their old space doesn't look to be in use by anyone else yet. Anyone know what's going on with the old place?

It's on Charlottetowne and Cherry St. across from the BofA branch.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was looking at the Sugar Creek part of the Metropolitan development, and there doesn't seem like there is enough room for the plaza part of this project without having to reroute the stream as the building currently butts right up against the creek. Can anyone confirm if they will actually reroute the creek?

Drove by there on Saturday and it looked like they were prepping to reroute the creek to have it run closer to Kenilworth. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by geekUSA1981

Drove by there on Saturday and it looked like they were prepping to reroute the creek to have it run closer to Kenilworth. Anyone else notice this?
That's what it looks like to me.

Here are some old old links to the LSC greenway master plan and section map for the area. They do show some meanders in the stream through the Midtown area. It also appears that the greenway will be on the Kenilworth side of LSC, maximizing available plaza space.

LSC Master Plan

Map of the Midtown area

That parking garage at the new Target/Home Depot is a scary place to drive or park. I've almost wrecked two times already! Not sure I understand the design.

Maybe it was designed for right-handed people only? :)

I have never had a problem and I actually quite like the design of the garage. To get up to target, you don't have to circle around -- just go straight up, and then it's easy to get out on the Kings St. exit on the 3rd floor without having to go back down. No complaints here.

That parking garage at the new Target/Home Depot is a scary place to drive or park. I've almost wrecked two times already! Not sure I understand the design.

It has two sets of ramps, one for going down and one for going up, I've noticed some people can't follow the arrows, I almost had a head on collision with a suburban going down on the ramp that is meant for going up.

I find that the main point that confuses people is that there is an exit on the 3rd level and the ground level, due to the grade change between Kings and the creek. Many people I've seen just stop and stare at the sign on the ground level that points to the ramp for 'Exit' for the exit by the Target. It confuses the heck out of people and I had to beep one time someone stared at it so long. I find that it isn't really hard to figure out if you try to figure it out, but for people just moving along and following signs, it can get a little confusing. My advice would be that you if are someone who doesn't like it, then park on the level you go in (either the Home Depot or the Target level) as though it were a normal parking lot, and then leave the way you came. If you are going to a store on a different level then take the elevator!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A few facts from today's Observer article.

10 story office building is 90% leased

Tenants are: Cherry Bekaert & Holland Law Firm, AON Insurance, NewDominion Bank, and the Carolinas HealthCare System corporate offices.

MetTerraces condos ($400,000-1.5 million)- 17 of 41 units sold

MetLofts (up to $400,000)- 57 of 60 units sold

closings will start in July/August

No specific dates were given except for MetLofts. Everything else just said that Phase 1 should be completed by "start of 2009."