Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

I helped a buddy of mine move into this condo building over the weekend. I will have to say I was quite impressed with the units--I was on the fence before. He has a 2 bedroom unit with a view of the greenway. The balcony is actually quite large. I'd say roughly 8x20. When the greenway is complete it will be quite a view. I think atlrvr mentioned a hibache court? The unit itself is pretty neat. Floor to ceiling windows in the living area and bedroom. Ceilings are 10' high. I'll try to get a hold of some photos and share them with the UPers.

i went by on saturday and it felt like a regular best buy to me. Didn't see much of a difference except the checkout was diff. and maybe a tad smaller than the pineville one. I liked it more overall. The whole complex is shaping up better than i thought so far.

I went to Best Buy this weekend and I have to say that I feel jipped. The Best Buy side feels so forced to be urban. I hope I will change my mind, but nothing about it feels good now. I can't even pin it down. It might be the scale and the density of the buildings when you know that there are so many open parking lots and sprawling lots just out of view. I am not a fan of these Phillips Place style corridors. It's like they're trying to pass off an indoor shopping mall corridor outside, and the enclosed escalators don't help.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates per the Charlotte Observer.

Link

Openings:

Marshalls - August 7

Trader Joe's - September

West Elm - October

Also, there were 2 new announcements. Modern Salon & Spa is moving from East. Blvd to Metropolitan, and an Italian restaurant in Raleigh will open a location here.

Still no word if Harpers really is going to open here as they had previously announced.

Vivace, the Italian restaurant in Raleigh being duplicated is pretty good. I live practically next door to the one in Raleigh, when I am not in school here at UNCC. It is a nice casual restaurant, and I love the fact that they make their own pasta.

I am also excited for West Elm.

I stopped by Staples this past wekend to peek inside and see the progress...only to find out that they were already open and had been since the previous Saturday. Talk about a quiet opening...the only "now open" signs are about 18 inches wide and located on the 3rd floor of the parking garage. We were the only people in the store. It's a nice Staples, though - seems like the size of any other staples. Marshall's is coming along, too - looks like they are ready to begin stocking soong.

I suspect that the Metropolitan Staples will exist mostly as a distribution center to Uptown offices. I can't imagine that residential demand for office supplies could possibly come close to keeping that store in business.

Perhaps, but you may be surprised. I'm sure the Office Depot (Max?) in South End does pretty well

• 3 weeks later...

I helped a buddy of mine move into this condo building over the weekend. I will have to say I was quite impressed with the units--I was on the fence before. He has a 2 bedroom unit with a view of the greenway. The balcony is actually quite large. I'd say roughly 8x20. When the greenway is complete it will be quite a view. I think atlrvr mentioned a hibache court? The unit itself is pretty neat. Floor to ceiling windows in the living area and bedroom. Ceilings are 10' high. I'll try to get a hold of some photos and share them with the UPers.

What do you guys think about the higher end condo building that is supposed to be delivered late this year? It seems like the prices in the low-end building are much more reasonable. Im not sure, but it sounds like the prices are in the $450-$500 psf range. $500 is awfully high, and its not in Uptown! It looks like a great project, but I just cant imagine how you could resell the unit for more than $500 when it is time to leave. Thoughts?

^those prices seem high considering what you've pointed out -- they are not directly uptown but are priced as high as the most expensive condos uptown. The average sales price per foot in uptown, not for high-end, but average, is $225 - $300/pf. I guess buyers will decide if these prices are too high by buying or closing on them.

• 2 weeks later...

To clear up the location of a few stores: West Elm is labeled to be located across from the Best Buy in the new grouping of smaller stores, where the two story section of the Met is facing the Greenway. It will have a signature corner sort of facing the Target/HD. The Trader Joes is taking up the last remaining larger spot on the building grouping that is currently being completed (the section with BB/Staples/Marshalls). It will be on the opposite side of the development as to the BB/Staples/Marshalls across the parking deck. There will be an entrance on the first floor of the deck, similar how Staples and Marshalls is.

I went to the Staples and the Marshalls today and they both, like the Target, feel just like their stores in the Burbs' except maybe on a slightly smaller scale.

Random comment....I just happened to have to go to Matthews and needed some items, and went to the Target there....the prices there are much (10%-20%) higher than prices the Midtown Target on almost all items that I regularly would buy....I wonder if Midtown is taking a loss to build a customer base, or if it will remain less expenesive.