Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

The Metropolitan has now sold all of its MetLofts condos in the complex. These accounted for 60% of the units in the Metropolitan. About 1/5 of the MetTerraces units have been sold. These were the last ones to be completed and will now be the focus of the developer. In addition they have announced 3 new restaurants that will open by February of next year: Upscale contemporary Dressler's Restaurant, fast-casual eatery Zoe's Kitchen and Pisces Sushi Bar & Lounge. Yet another sushi option for me :) No word yet on the vacant Home Depot Design Center.

Edited by dbull75

The Metropolitan has now sold all of its MetLofts condos in the complex. These accounted for 60% of the units in the Metropolitan. About 1/5 of the MetTerraces units have been sold. These were the last ones to be completed and will now be the focus of the developer. In addition they have announced 3 new restaurants that will open by February of next year: Upscale contemporary Dressler's Restaurant, fast-casual eatery Zoe's Kitchen and Pisces Sushi Bar & Lounge. Yet another sushi option for me :) No word yet on the vacant Home Depot Design Center.

Thanks for the information. I wonder when we'll recieve word on what will fill the HDDC space, but apparently that's Home Depot's call and not Pappas' call.

Thanks for the information. I wonder when we'll recieve word on what will fill the HDDC space, but apparently that's Home Depot's call and not Pappas' call.

Not a problem... I actually have a good friend that's on the HOA board at the Metropolitan so I can usually dig up some info. He told me about the restaurants a month ago, but I totally forgot about those until I saw an article in the news today. He also did say that there may be some news on the HDDC spot by the 4th quarter of this year. Stay tuned.

It is good to see progress on selling the Met Lofts and Terraces. I have a friend living in Met Lofts and she said it has been slowly filling up with residents after a slow start. Her condo is very cool, but I understand they may have been a little overpriced at first.

For as many problems as the building has in its King's Drive designs, the people living here can live a very urban life. Not only can they walk to get groceries, pharmaceuticals, and supplies at Trader Joes and Target. She even shops for that night's dinner on her way home each day, so she has saved a lot of money on restaurants. But when she does go to restaurants, she has a 10 minute walk to Elizabeth Ave (.6 mi), 15 minute walk to the Kenilworth/East area of Dilworth (.85 mi), 20 minute walk to the Providence Road area in Myer's Park (1 mile), 20 minute walk to the 7th Street restaurants in Elizabeth (1 mi) and a 25 minute walk to Tryon St (1.2 mi).

She even walks to Myer's Park library all the time now to get her reading fix and Manor theater for arthouse movies.

She does need to drive for work because she works at a school, but other than her commute, she basically doesn't need to drive at all.

My neighbor and I walked to Trader Joes from Dilworth this week. They have done a nice job of encouraging pedestrian use along Stonewall. The hike back crossing Morehead to Kenilworth is still quite nasty,narrow,unlit ,and trash strewn. No wonder we never encounter any other ped shoppers. Maybe the sidewalk revitalization for this stretch is somewhere in the longterm plans. Currently, it's definitely not an inviting option for those who otherwise would make a habit of walking to Met. Going down Morehead and up Kings is another option but the most direct route should get priority and some sidewalk TLC.

^ Thanks for the suggestion. I drove to TJ's today through the deluge to find out that the garage has a pretty nasty flooding issue. A whole row of cars against the far wall was being slowly encircled. The section in front of the entrance was also washed over. Kind of reminded me of my time at The College of Charleston, my neighbors used to bring out the kayaks and rafts and paddle down the streets. Not nearly as bad in this case but still a major inconvenience.

That is interesting. Today was a pretty severe rain though. South Blvd was almost entirely flooded when I went by earlier.

It would be interesting to know how high the creek was on the greenway, anybody happen to see today?

I doubt it could get that high. It would spill out to Kenilworth first. I saw on the news last night that Little Sugar Creek not only had the worst flooding (as it usually does) but it was basically the center of the band of rain that resulted in about 4" over maybe 2-3 hours.

^This map reminds me how cool it would be if Belk weren't there between Stonewall-Kenilworth-Charlottetowne and 5th-6th-Independence. Instead, you could have a a bigger and less hidden Little Sugar Creek, as the flood plain map shows. Maybe then Charlotte would have more development similar to Metropolitan linking Uptown with Midtown.

Of course, almost everything along South McDowell would need to be redeveloped. But considering the suburban-looking hotels and offices there now, that would likely be a good thing.

Edited by southslider

• 2 months later...

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who is a chef in Raleigh. The group that owns his restaurant will open Vivace, an upscale Italian place in Metropolitan, supposedly November 2nd.

Vivace Charlotte

I've been wanting a place like this for a while. While some entrees get very expensive, most of it looks very reasonable, and the brunch in particular sounds incredible. The renderings are very promising.

Edited by nonillogical

I noticed tonight that Zoe's Kitchen has opened on the end corner before Best Buy. Their awnings look nice and it's great to have another occupied space across from West Elm which was kind of isolated and alone on the corner before. Anyone who eats there first please post a review.

I noticed tonight that Zoe's Kitchen has opened on the end corner before Best Buy. Their awnings look nice and it's great to have another occupied space across from West Elm which was kind of isolated and alone on the corner before. Anyone who eats there first please post a review.

I ate at one in Birmingham a few years ago. I can't remember what I had, but I know I liked it because I made note of the exit if was on in case I wanted to stop again while passing through. It's soups, salads, sandwiches. They are also opening one in Birkdale Village in Huntersville. I think there's one in Blakeney already, so they clearly are expanding into this area.

• 4 weeks later...

A few Metropolitan thoughts -

Love Zoe's food. There's not a thing from there I haven't liked (the chicken rolls are my favorite). Crappiest soundtrack and most uncomfortable seating in the greater Metrolina, though - go eat on the greenway.

There are several spaces on street level and above being actively upfit (including another sushi place - sigh). It may have taken some time for the ball to really get rolling after everything initially opened, but that ball does seem to be rolling.

And to reiterate earlier comments on this thread - the pedestrian crosswalks across Charlottetown could really use some pedestrian signaling, especially around rush hour. There is more than enough pedestrian activity to justify it.

A few Metropolitan thoughts -

Love Zoe's food. There's not a thing from there I haven't liked (the chicken rolls are my favorite). Crappiest soundtrack and most uncomfortable seating in the greater Metrolina, though - go eat on the greenway.

There are several spaces on street level and above being actively upfit (including another sushi place - sigh). It may have taken some time for the ball to really get rolling after everything initially opened, but that ball does seem to be rolling.

And to reiterate earlier comments on this thread - the pedestrian crosswalks across Charlottetown could really use some pedestrian signaling, especially around rush hour. There is more than enough pedestrian activity to justify it.

Zoe's is good - ok i take back the pricey thing... in relation and talking to a friend who works at a place similar to Zoe's... it's not really, I just didn't have it in perspective

Edited by DigitalSky