Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

this weekend's cbj has some more info on the cpcc parking deck.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ewscolumn4.html

without an architect, the rendering at the grubb presentation was likely just conceptual. As they have asked for mixed use zoning, i'd be surprised if the ground floor didn't have retail.

I drove by this weekend and noticed they are demolishing the buildings there. They were fairly non-descript buildings, so no loss. I think one was 'Tonic'.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...16/daily38.html

It seems like it is unclear whether midtown will be a homedepot or expo, but it is confirmed that things are still in motion, and even if expo, that people are optimistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's just another Home Depot then it will be blah, but Expo will mean it's something special.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...16/daily38.html

It seems like it is unclear whether midtown will be a homedepot or expo, but it is confirmed that things are still in motion, and even if expo, that people are optimistic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The first sentence of the article pretty much says it will be an Expo, unless they change their minds.

Surprised that Home Depot is building new Expo's, in the past few years they have curbed their growth & are in fact closing many of them (including one in Atlanta's Buckhead) this year. My guess is in all of Home Depot's bloated ego, they thought they could make a killing by neglecting the middle market by selling mostly low end items at their regular stores & strictly high end items at their Expo stores. Which means, most people will shop at Lowe's b/c they serve mostly the mid-level items.

So... I'm not sure how long it will be an Expo.

^ Understood - but though the Lowe's I've shopped at do have high end items, they have a large variety of upper middle priced items that most are interested in. Whereas Home Depot has virtually no higher items & few mid priced items. They have unwisely attempted to market their Expo store as a home appliance store when most of the items there are completely over priced. If Lowe's sells $7500 fridges, I would guess Home Depot Expo sells only $10k fridges ;)

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../30/focus1.html

there are some more details in the CBJ about the CPCC campus projects that will really help remake the elizabeth avenue corridor, and the surrounding area.

They will continue to replace outdated, ugly buildings with new, larger, better designed buildings. They will also begin restoring the old Central High building to closer to its original look, which will be very nice.

I must say that although baseball would be nice, leaving the land for CPCC to build around would be great, too

I really like the look of the Academic and Performing arts buildings almost complete at Kings and Eliz. Even though it is neo-classical/neo-georgian or whatever, it really provides them with a focal symbol that there is actually a college there, rather than just some bland outdated office buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte.../13/story3.html

It appears that Home Depot will be building a hybrid Expo/Home Depot at Midtown Square. I think this is awesome news, as there would only be a limited number of trips that many people would take to an Expo vs a Home Depot, but the fact that it will still have some elements of Expo will make it a destination for many suburbanites that already live near a HD or Lowes.

I'm a little concerned with the tidbit at the end of the article, though. Apparently Target, Home Depot and the city have not yet signed off on the deal! That is a little nerve-wracking.

the coucil agreed on the terms a while ago... so the fact that there is no signature makes me wonder if the retailers are concerned with their remaining risk, especially if they are still tweaking the business plans/brand. i know it is probably all okay, but any time these things are delayed for 6-8 months into the future, it seems to leave the possibility for something to fall through.

Well, they didn't have the zoning until last month, so I think that was the hold-up....but I'm not positive.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

good point.

all reports are still optimistic, and i'm sure if anything sputters, pappas will figure out a way to keep it alive.

Pappas announced through the press that it would be 15-16 stories, though the rendering submitted as part of the rezoning shows 19 stories. I could not find any limitations on the height of the building, but the total number of units was capped at 250.

Pappas announced through the press that it would be 15-16 stories, though the rendering submitted as part of the rezoning shows 19 stories.  I could not find any limitations on the height of the building, but the total number of units was capped at 250.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thx atlrvr...Does the charmeck site have the redering of the bldg???

:thumbsup:

A2

Here is an image of the Condo Tower, for full site plans and renderings go to:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-060.htm

Click on Second Revised Site Plan, and it will show you all of the images for the complex.

Residential

midtowntower.jpg

Office/Retail Mix

midtownoffice.jpg

The two side by side

midtownboth.jpg

Maybe this will inspire a lot more mid/high rises lining the outside of the 277 loop :)

Edited by Seabreeze