Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

^I believe at one point a hotel tower was part of the master plan for the Metropolitan development. And it still may be the case. I think now that they have a solid following with the restaurants and retail there, along with more to come, it would only make sense. Especially given the proximity to uptown and the greenway.

The Hotel/Condo Tower was planned for the land adjacent to Trader Joes, where the sales center sits/sat (at least used to, don't live in CLT anymore so I dunno). was gonna be 20 stories I believe... Speaking that the complex is 80-90% occupied I could see this happening... Apartment/Hotel Tower there. I figure more shops and flats for the land mentioned in the rezoning petition. Hopefully we will have a real siteplan attached to it by the time the hearing happens in a week

Edited by Guest

Towers are generally not what's getting built in today's market. It seems that midrises, particularly apartment midrises, are what's hot right now.

agreed 100%. The Hotel/Condo site will probably sit that way until market balances. Its zoned to 250 feet, so I cannot imagine Pappas building anything but 20+ stories there. I figure shops and apartments for this site. I hope this is a sign of something good. Although the LLC's Name makes me wonder... Wells Property Number One, LLC

• 2 weeks later...

Since the planning dept generated the rezoning map I would be suspicious that this is a city driven rezoning and not something that is being pushed by a developer.

There was an error on the Rezoning site. The site plan was sumitted by the land-owner. Wells One, is just the single-purpose entity for that site, but is owned by Freeman McClintock & Wells, which has also developed the rest of the subject block (ABC Store, Pancake House, and sold the land to the gas station). They are big-time land brokers in the city.

Here is the true site plan for this rezoning. Nothing too informative, though they are asking for a 100' height limit. Normally MUDD would get 120' automatically, but this might be close enough to some single family in Cherry, where 100' would be higher than the normally allowed max.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2011/071-083/2011-073%20site%20plan.pdf

• 1 month later...

Has there been any movement on finding a replacement for the old Home Depot Design Center? It seems this area has really filled in quite a bit with Hickory Tavern, La Paz and a few other places in and around the Met. One would think at some point this spot would get filled soon.

^ With all the business the Target is doing they could just about open another one in the HD space.

(you are right, this is getting to be a very busy location)

I think you are right in that they could build a second Target underneath and still do well. The volume at that store is great, at least every time I've been there. Perhaps Target could buy the floor below and turn it into a Super Target.

That area is chugging along. Vitamin Shoppe is almost finished on the corner and, although a chain, looks quite good because they put parking in the back. I'm guessing Chipoltle is going in next store and is also right on the sidewalk. There is also something going in beside the Met, along the Sugar Creek Greenway. I'm assuming it is more retail. If that is the case, I can't imagine it will be long before we see something go below Target. Traffic is always heavy over there. Plus Hickory isn't even open yet.

There is also something going in beside the Met, along the Sugar Creek Greenway. I'm assuming it is more retail.

I was wondering about that, but thought it might be just more common area like gardens and fountains for the greenway. I hope you're right though. This is the space right beside the Pearl St. bridge, but there is a lot between there and the Met leasing office (which is a temporary building, right?) that is still untouched the last time I looked, and I remember hearing that it would eventually be home to a mid-rise hotel, which would be amazing IMO.

That area is chugging along. Vitamin Shoppe is almost finished on the corner and, although a chain, looks quite good because they put parking in the back. I'm guessing Chipoltle is going in next store and is also right on the sidewalk. There is also something going in beside the Met, along the Sugar Creek Greenway. I'm assuming it is more retail. If that is the case, I can't imagine it will be long before we see something go below Target. Traffic is always heavy over there. Plus Hickory isn't even open yet.

Someone needs to take some pictures of this! I forgot all about going to look last time I was in town!

Kings Drive continues to get treated like crap. The backside of the new development is as bad as any of the other developments.

Ever read the Cherry Neighborhood Plan? It talks at length about the horrors that is the garage and big box backs that are along Kings.

^Ha!

Why doesn't Belk or Dillard's take the old Expo Design Center space? There is a Dillard's at Atlantic Station in Atlanta, which is sort of comparable, and it is Belk's home market.

Is Northlake considered too close for comfort?

SouthPark is considered too close to comfort, with Belk's flagship and a top tier Dillard's. Additionally, the visibility of the Home Depot Design Center is very poor and mostly masked by a parking deck. Honestly a Kohl's would work better there, in line with those other big boxes.