Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

How big is that space again?It might even be marketable to two junior anchors by splitting it in half. With Best Buy/Marshalls/Staples across the street as well, I'm sure you could attract xyz big boxes and have a true urban big box center in the general area.

How big is that space again?It might even be marketable to two junior anchors by splitting it in half. With Best Buy/Marshalls/Staples across the street as well, I'm sure you could attract xyz big boxes and have a true urban big box center in the general area.

127,653 square feet is vacant space where the Home Depot Design Center was.

I passed by the new Chipotle and Vitamin Shoppe today, which don't look too far from opening. The third space is a Mattress Firm - the signs are up, and they are rather large. Boring if you ask me.

I agree about the sidewalks. It's too bad they didn't widen these and accommodate street-level entrances for these stores.

I passed by the new Chipotle and Vitamin Shoppe today, which don't look too far from opening. The third space is a Mattress Firm - the signs are up, and they are rather large. Boring if you ask me.

I agree about the sidewalks. It's too bad they didn't widen these and accommodate street-level entrances for these stores.

NO STREET LEVEL ENTRANCES!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! >:o

^Yeah when I first saw these going up I thought "Oh, they're building really close to the street. Maybe this won't be too bad." But no, there isn't an ounce of pedestrian consideration or visual interest on Kings except for a staircase up between the buildings. The signs are absolutely repulsive.

Edited by nonillogical

At the the buildings are up against the sidewalk, that will help them eventually be more sensible in a future generation when there is more streetlife. Let's note that the same developer (or land banker, etc.) didn't put sidewalk-oriented entrance on the ABC store or the Original Pancake House either.

Also, there will be street-level entrances, just not street-facing. It would be pretty fun, though, if they had a ladder and then a hatch on the roof. I wouldn't put it past them.

This isn't quite as bad as standard suburban hell, though. It does have parking on the interior of the block rather than, say, the old strip mall with the dominos next to the Arbys. It's just still auto-oriented, which is disappointing.

At least the buildings themselves are more visibly appealing than a typical strip mall, I guess. I do think they look nice, and I am glad that they aren't matchy matchy fake stucco facades. They are modern, and each is different. So I guess it isn't a total loss. But I really don't expect the Vitamin Shoppe and Mattress Firm to get much business from people walking. Would have been nice to see some different stores move in here instead.

The whole thing is a suburban disaster. Some developer just wanted to vomit up a strip mall and be done with it. I'm really disappointed the city didn't wield more authority to keep it from happening.

The site already had existing "suburban" Business zoning, similar to the Bojangles just up the street. The developer could have placed the parking between the buildings and the sidewalk, if they wanted to do so. It's my understanding that the City lacks any architectural review, outside urban or conditional zoning requests.

Edited by southslider

^In theory, Charlotte could. North Meck Towns already do.

However, the NC Senate considered a bill last year (SB 731) that would have forbidden any NC city from doing so. Ironically, SB 731 was led by State Senator Dan Clodfelter, a former Charlotte City Councilman, who lives in well-designed Elizabeth. Sen. Clodfelter did exempt historic districts. Still, many situations, such as Metropolitan area development, seem to point to a need for architectural review for new buildings. Fortunately, the bill did not become law, in large part, due to the NC chapter of the American Planning Association fighting it.

Edited by southslider

The guys that run Pisces Sushi (excellent spot if you haven't been yet!) have leased the next door space, and will be putting in a lounge with small plates for food. The two will connect and share bathrooms - there will be some construction going on (but Pisces will stay open) to open up the current venue to the one beside it.

The guys that run Pisces Sushi (excellent spot if you haven't been yet!) have leased the next door space, and will be putting in a lounge with small plates for food. The two will connect and share bathrooms - there will be some construction going on (but Pisces will stay open) to open up the current venue to the one beside it.

Does "small plaets for food" mean tapas?

La Paz & Hickory Tavern opened today....I went in La Paz to have a drink but there bar was closing around the time i got there..(10:30), so I decided to go to Hickory Tavern. I must say the Met is definitely looking a lot busier now that they have opened. I can only imagine what Friday & Saturday will feel like.