Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 1 month later...

Well this is in interesting development. 

Levine's 1.3 Acre site at Met Midtown that was originally slated to be 140 apartments has been revised. 

It will now be 155 apartments with a 175 room hotel. 285 feet tall. For reference Westin Charlotte and Nascar Plaza are 293 feet tall.

Very Interesting. 

So are people happy about the announcements they were waiting for.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/028-032/2014-030%20site%20plan.pdf

Edited by Guest

Very interesting to have a building that large in midtown, where exactly will it be located?

The empty space on the Met Midtown "roundabout" across from Trader Joes and Vivace. Its where the sales center is/was. The Original Plan was supposed to have a 25 floor condo tower there, so its not too different.

Rezoning is above. 

The only negative with the property is that Levine signed a "No Compete Clause" for 10 years that prevents him from developing retail for 10 years after the purchase of the property. So there is almost 0 chance we see retail developed. 

Edited by Guest

I don't mind (too much) the retail issue considering the location is far from starving for it, but I wish the city planners wouldn''t allow developers to stifle retail markets just as they are taking off.   The CBJ says the building could be as high as 285 square feet which is about what 20-25 stories?   Of course it's Daniel Levine so uhm, yeah...

I don't mind (too much) the retail issue considering the location is far from starving for it, but I wish the city planners wouldn''t allow developers to stifle retail markets just as they are taking off.   The CBJ says the building could be as high as 285 square feet which is about what 20-25 stories?   Of course it's Daniel Levine so uhm, yeah...

Apartments or Hotel Usage would be 25-28 floors. Office would be 18-22 floors.

The no compete made sense for Pappas Properties when the sale happened... Its just a shame because the original master plan called for a number of HUGE retail spaces with 22 floors of condos on top.

What would interest me most is to see how they tackle parking. Whether it'd be an above ground deck or subterranean. Also interested if they will develop empty retail spaces with the intention of turning them over once the non compete clause is null and void.

As far as Daniel Levine goes, once again he doesn't really HAVE to move forward on this, as the land is just going to continue appreciating in value, however he has been doing some good developments that fly well under the radar.

Edited by Guest

Too bad he can't have affordable small retail places. Antiques, etc. that's not really competing with anything...

Edit; Parking. People will park at Levines Epcott in Firstward. A monorail wil thenl take them to and from the hotel.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

DLevine_2010-Pierce_zpsb4f763ea.jpg

On another note, isn't that a face that you just can't helping wanting to punch... Maybe he should grow a mustache. 

Edit: Oh wait he has one, that makes me want to punch him more.

Edited by Guest

Here is an image of the Condo Tower, for full site plans and renderings go to:

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2005-060.htm

Click on Second Revised Site Plan, and it will show you all of the images for the complex.

Residential

midtowntower.jpg

Office/Retail Mix

midtownoffice.jpg

The two side by side

midtownboth.jpg

Maybe this will inspire a lot more mid/high rises lining the outside of the 277 loop smile.gif

too bad the link is expired and the pics don't work :-( I searched long and hard for this.

Original Renderings

83143506_09eee95060_o.jpg

83143562_88efabd312_o.jpg

5-17-06001.jpg

Edited by Guest

DLevine_2010-Pierce_zpsb4f763ea.jpg

On another note, isn't that a face that you just can't helping wanting to punch... Maybe he should grow a mustache.

Edit: Oh wait he has one, that makes me want to punch him more.

I think he's kinda cute for being a older, heavier guy. Though honestly the fact I know he has money reallllllly helps :D

And I'd love to see this build one day :) this combined with other projects would make Midtown feel more like a proper neighborhood and not just a thoroughfare with some big box (literally) retailers (though whose complaining?)

Hopefully, buyers of the new Cherry St McMansions didn't think their skyline view would last forever.

Yeah. Theyre probably not too thrilled after already learning their club seats at BB&T ball park view may also be obstructed due to a proposed high rise :D

Well this is in interesting development. 

Levine's 1.3 Acre site at Met Midtown that was originally slated to be 140 apartments has been revised. 

It will now be 155 apartments with a 175 room hotel. 285 feet tall. For reference Westin Charlotte and Nascar Plaza are 293 feet tall.

Very Interesting. 

So are people happy about the announcements they were waiting for.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/028-032/2014-030%20site%20plan.pdf

That urban 'edge' is a joke.  It is surprising that people can still build a parking deck against a busy street to kill any street activity that would spill over from the greenway or Met.

100% chance this doesn't get built.  He has announced his hotel after EVERYONE else has already had plans for a hotel.  This guy is always late to the game, always late.  He is the worst at being able to understand and time a market.  He needs to sell his land and give up on the dream of real estate forever.

• Like 2

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/developers-eying-build-hotel-metro-midtown/ndHGp/

The above link is another article regarding Hotel Levine. I found this article interesting for two reasons. One, it speaks to the fact that writing is a lost art. This point is evidenced by the sloppy usage of the infinitive "to build" and the less traditional spelling of eyeing (without the second "e"). Two, the article states that floodplain issues prevented the originally planned apartments from being completed.

Abysmal article...

Was over by Trader Joe's today and noticed that the empty retail space between the smoothie shop and the bank has signs on it saying it's going to be a store selling some kind of energy-efficient/green stuff. The signs don't give any specifics, so that could be anything from programmable thermostats to solar panel systems. 

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/developers-eying-build-hotel-metro-midtown/ndHGp/

The above link is another article regarding Hotel Levine. I found this article interesting for two reasons. One, it speaks to the fact that writing is a lost art. This point is evidenced by the sloppy usage of the infinitive "to build" and the less traditional spelling of eyeing (without the second "e"). Two, the article states that floodplain issues prevented the originally planned apartments from being completed.

Abysmal article...

So how/why did the flood plain maps change?

Was over by Trader Joe's today and noticed that the empty retail space between the smoothie shop and the bank has signs on it saying it's going to be a store selling some kind of energy-efficient/green stuff. The signs don't give any specifics, so that could be anything from programmable thermostats to solar panel systems.

I wonder if Charlotte Energy Solutions is relocating from Cherry? http://www.charlotteenergysolutions.com