Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

Do they have enough parking at that location? The Chapel Hill location occupies a former anchor retailer space (think it used to be a Dillard's or Belk's, but not sure) at University Mall.

There's never enough parking for anything in that entire area, so probably not. But why not? Might as well make the Target deck as crowded as the Trader Joe's deck.

• 3 weeks later...

Apartments or Hotel Usage would be 25-28 floors. Office would be 18-22 floors.

The no compete made sense for Pappas Properties when the sale happened... Its just a shame because the original master plan called for a number of HUGE retail spaces with 22 floors of condos on top.

What would interest me most is to see how they tackle parking. Whether it'd be an above ground deck or subterranean. Also interested if they will develop empty retail spaces with the intention of turning them over once the non compete clause is null and void.

As far as Daniel Levine goes, once again he doesn't really HAVE to move forward on this, as the land is just going to continue appreciating in value, however he has been doing some good developments that fly well under the radar.

Nice call on the 25-28 stories.  That was the exact range that a rep from Levine told the Met homeowners at the community meeting.  They also said the expect to reach an agreement with an operator this summer, breaking ground in 2015, with 2 years construction.  No retail (per convenants on the site), but small food service operation for the hotel.

Nice call on the 25-28 stories.  That was the exact range that a rep from Levine told the Met homeowners at the community meeting.  They also said the expect to reach an agreement with an operator this summer, breaking ground in 2015, with 2 years construction.  No retail (per convenants on the site), but small food service operation for the hotel.

I actually give this one a fair shot at coming to fruition. Especially with a hotel partner. To me Cherry is the absolute next big thing.

Edited by Guest

I actually give this one a fair shot at coming to fruition. Especially with a hotel partner. To me Cherry is the absolute next big thing.

With midtown/Elizabeth on their way, between these 2, an ever expanding NoDa, plaza midwood and of course south end I'd say we are well on our way to seeing a complete package around uptown.

With midtown/Elizabeth on their way, between these 2, an ever expanding NoDa, plaza midwood and of course south end I'd say we are well on our way to seeing a complete package around uptown.

I actually give SouthEnd the least bit of credit. I don't like how its growing one bit. I wish it would be more organic. 

I don't know about Cherry being the next 'big thing'.  I tend to think growth in Cherry will need to follow Elizabeth Ave and Kings Dr.

Kings got a really fancy greenway and has a skyline view and great retail nearby, and only has one project this cycle, Lennar.  Oh maybe 2 if we count that the Shell station is upgrading their pumps at the moment.   I always remember the grandiose dreams while planning the greenway: "In the glorious future along our new greenway, the battery store will have sales increase by 2-4% and the gas station will get pumps with video screen point of sales features!" 

Then just when you thought that inertia was settling in, the white knight Daniel Levine rides in to save the day.  

• Like 2

I don't know about Cherry being the next 'big thing'.  I tend to think growth in Cherry will need to follow Elizabeth Ave and Kings Dr.

Kings got a really fancy greenway and has a skyline view and great retail nearby, and only has one project this cycle, Lennar.  Oh maybe 2 if we count that the Shell station is upgrading their pumps at the moment.   I always remember the grandiose dreams while planning the greenway: "In the glorious future along our new greenway, the battery store will have sales increase by 2-4% and the gas station will get pumps with video screen point of sales features!" 

Then just when you thought that inertia was settling in, the white knight Daniel Levine rides in to save the day.  

HAHAHAHA

I would attribute crescent to greenway growth.

I was in a tongue-and-cheek mood when I wrote the other day, but it is something I find baffling.  The swath of land which is best outlined by most of the 28204 zip code has a tremendous amount of things going for it.  Even though Crescent at Morehead and Harding is more tied to the Dilworth and Morehead branding, we can still count it as a success in the area, as is the Lennar project which is a rare example of an apartment project getting ample street retail square footage.

But look at what exists in 28204 (the Elizacherrymidtown):

• Significant auto infrastructure: 277, intact street grid network, thoroughfare connections to important places 
  • Significant open/green space: LSCG, Pearl/Baxter Park, historic Independence Park, Memorial Stadium.
  • Significant institutions: CPCC bringing youth, 2 major regional hospitals with high paying medical jobs
  • Significant retail and restaurants in Metropolitan
  • Valuable neighboring communities: Myers Park, Dilworth, Elizabeth, Midwood, Uptown
  • Streetcar under construction to connect rail transit

Perhaps the biggest impediment to the area is that it is divided among many different community names which makes it more difficult to coalesce as a single neighborhood for development momentum to form.  Crescent going in on the edge of Dilworth, Lennar going in on the edge of Met Midtown, Elizabeth Ave being the edge of Elizabeth, and for that matter the 5-points area at 10th and Central being the edges of Midwood/Elizabeth/Belmont.   

We also have a problem of confused planning in the area with the institutions all focused inward with mostly single-use buildings. Even Metropolitan designed itself inwardly with Kings Drive façades seeming like designs oriented to a back alley.  Then cases like Bojangles and Wendys are firmly holding onto the traditional use of the area as a pass-through between uptown and real neighborhoods.  Lastly, the political land-mine of quasi-racial politics exists in Cherry where any development will be seen as gentrification invading rather than progress.  

Put all together, it is being bypassed for major development this cycle outside of a few legitimately good projects and a few institutional projects.  Levine taking over the remaining parcel of Met is just a joke proving the area to be the next big thing of the 2040s. 

Remember that big Whole Foods / high rise project that got cancelled a couple of years back? I'm kind of surprised nothing else like that has been attempted in this development cycle.

Just wait ;-). 

Seriously though… I heard rumblings a year ago about suitors for the former Wholefoods/highres land on Eliz. The plan was for 20-25 floors of apartments, but I never heard anything again.

Forgive me; trying to follow.

Are there rumblings now for a Highrise now?

No, those rumblings have gone silent. 

That said, I think Whole Foods + HIgh Rise happens at Brevard and Stonewall.

I'm happy waiting for a high-quality project to come to Elizabeth, and if that means Streetcar is operating before you can charge rents to justify it, then I'm happy waiting.  It one of the better site for organic non-mega block design.

I couldn't agree more. Elizabeth is a very interesting little neighborhood. There have been a lot of projects in the area that have been proposed, and never come to be. No other neighborhood is quite ilke it. 

WholeFoods_Elizabeth.jpg

sterling_elizabeth.jpg

elizabethfuture.jpg

1515.1.jpg

1515.2.jpg

Its kinda sad actually. Eliz avenue could look really nice now, and if any of this came to be, I would have bought on Eliz Ave. in a heartbeat.

Edited by Guest