Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 3 weeks later...

I was just looking at the revised site plan on CharMeck.org - anyone know what is the large structure next to King's Drive labelled "Junior Box?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i haven't heard of any specific rumors. I think further back on one of these threads, though, it was speculated that it could be a B&N or something like that, as they typically locate near target and would be similarly sized.

Once something happens here, maybe the mall security will chase away the homeless guys hanging around on Baxter street.

No eye contact... And no, I will not hand out money from my car window...

Edited by MZT

this weekend, i stumbled into HH Gregg on south boulevard. It is a new store that i had never heard of...

It is basically a bestbuy without computer stuff or media (dvds or music). It is a store footprint that is very similar to the size of the space we were discussing in the midtown project. Given that hh gregg seems to be expanding into charlotte (there is also a new one in Matthews according to a billboard i saw on independence), it would be awesome if they could locate intown.

I say this because it seems very unlikely that a national electronics chain like best buy or circuit city will locate intown given their large footprints, but the business model for hhgregg seems well suited for it.

http://www.hhgregg.com

To my knowledge, most of the HHgreggs are generally suburban stores, mainly from seeing them in Indiana and Georgia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that may mean they won't think about locating in midtown, but you could say that most of the targets and home depots are suburban, too...

I say this because it seems very unlikely that a national electronics chain like best buy or circuit city will locate intown given their large footprints, but the business model for hhgregg seems well suited for it. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Circuit City could be a possibility, this is from an article from in the Austin American-Statesman about the Triangle ,which is a mixed-use development not far from the UT campus, that is going to have a CC.

Circuit City would not comment on its plans for the Triangle. But Frank Brown, an analyst with SunTrust Robinson Humphrey Capital Markets in Atlanta, said the company is launching smaller so-called urban concept stores, about half the size of a typical Circuit City, to capture sales in areas that can't support a full-size store.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/.../2TRIANGLE.html

Circuit City could be a possibility, this is from an article from in the Austin American-Statesman about the Triangle ,which is a mixed-use development not far from the UT campus, that is going to have a CC.

http://www.statesman.com/business/content/.../2TRIANGLE.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope to see more shopping options uptown especially clothing and food places. It would be neat to have a Best Buy or something in uptown.

I have heard they are also putting an HHgregg on exit 18 on Harris Blvd. (near Ethan Allen).  Given that they just opened those other 2 and are opening a 3rd I think it would be unlikely they would open a 4th near uptown.  But you never know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There will be a HHGregg along with SuperTarget in Northcrest across Northlake mall. Also, they are expanding rather quickly so it would not be unusual to see a 4th store uptown.

I have heard they are also putting an HHgregg on exit 18 on Harris Blvd. (near Ethan Allen).  Given that they just opened those other 2 and are opening a 3rd I think it would be unlikely they would open a 4th near uptown.  But you never know.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, this activity at exit 18 makes is very difficult for stores of this nature to end up in the downtown area since it is only about 10-15 minutes from DT by car to exit 18. Its actually closer than the University Area. (time wise)

I would have rather the Charlotte city council never have approved this mall as this type of development is not good for the city. But it is easy for a developer to strip forest to build a mall, not so easy for a developer to redevelop an area near DT into a shopping complex.