Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article19097085.html?hootPostID=032524b4c26ea90f5f6a5bc7c4aa2be1

Cherry neighborhood peeps are not fans of Goode properties mixed use redevelopment. They don't like the height and parking deck. I am not sure I even knew about this redevelopment proposal, but it sounds cool. I am not sure I agree with the cherry residents, they say it doesnt "fit" with the neighborhood plans, but for its location it seems like it will basically just be an extension of the Met no?

People always complain about height with new projects in neighborhoods. This city can't grow out anymore, so it has to grow UP!

• Like 1

Doesn't it also include townhomes on the backside facing Cherry? If this is that same project I distinctly remember the sightline of the top of the parking deck being hidden from street level view by the 3 story townhomes. The neighborhood should count themselves lucky to be getting a development that actually cares about blending Metropolitan/Midtown to Cherry in a thoughtful way. 

• Like 2

I agree. It has great street level presence and it addresses the deck with the townhomes that front Cherry Street. I didn't read the conditions, but if the deck is skinned as they are showing in the rendering, it's 10x better than Lennar's deck, which is right up against cherry and has zero skin above the ground level. 

The Charlotte Realtor Association/Mingle School of Real Estate Building is up for sale.  They hope to land someone with plans for Redevelopment of the site and they would remain the tenant.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/12/charlotte-regional-realtor-association-lists.html

Looks like Pappas Properties is interested in redeveloping the site.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/04/pappas-planning-mixed-use-development-at-crra-site.html?ana=e_clt_bn_newsalert&u=11127973264cbda1522149bd7b1e42&t=1430252226

I am curious to see how they'll navigate the murky waters of developing a well known flood plain. I guess they could take the Watermark approach and lift the buildings up on a level of parking, but they'd still loose use of the buildings during a flood situation

• 2 weeks later...

The strip mall with Dominos (by the Arby's and BofA) is getting a nice spruce up. (339 S Kings)

"Renovation of existing strip retail shopping center with exterior building facade improvements. Building footprint will remain as it current exists, but we would like to add more restaurant tenants in place of existing retail tenants. Need to understand how the change of use to add more restaurant square footage effects the required parking and any existing non-conforming requirements for landscaping, forestry, parking, etc. we are also looking to possibly add outdoor/seating areas or improve existing outdoor patio areas."

There's some screens/brochure out there but I can't get to them on my phone. RDJ, assistance please?

The strip mall with Dominos (by the Arby's and BofA) is getting a nice spruce up. (339 S Kings)

"Renovation of existing strip retail shopping center with exterior building facade improvements. Building footprint will remain as it current exists, but we would like to add more restaurant tenants in place of existing retail tenants. Need to understand how the change of use to add more restaurant square footage effects the required parking and any existing non-conforming requirements for landscaping, forestry, parking, etc. we are also looking to possibly add outdoor/seating areas or improve existing outdoor patio areas."

There's some screens/brochure out there but I can't get to them on my phone. RDJ, assistance please?

Ask and you shall receive. 

post-17104-0-25799500-1431355133_thumb.j

Yeesh, if I were a city reviewer I'd send them the zoning ordinance and say "Read this, then ask questions."

• 3 weeks later...

According to the Charlotte Observer, the new BJ's Wholesale Club should be opened by December. Apparently there is still another 25,000 square feet of space available after the BJ's

renovation is completed. Of course this was formerly occupied by the Home Depot Design Center which closed not to long after it opened (along with all others).

According to the Charlotte Observer, the new BJ's Wholesale Club should be opened by December. Apparently there is still another 25,000 square feet of space available after the BJ's

renovation is completed. Of course this was formerly occupied by the Home Depot Design Center which closed not to long after it opened (along with all others).

Is there an echo in the room?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hypothetically or "hypothetically" ?

(as in is that a hint)

It is my humble opinion that they would not develop this site without commitment from a large 1st floor anchor. I think an HT or Publix would kill it here. 

Edited by Crown

Is center city getting a little over-grocered at this point?

No. Not in comparison to the rest of the region. They'll be over 50,000 or more people in center city by 2020 if I'm not mistaken (center city to me being 3 miles out from Trade/Tryon)

Uptown population for 2015 is to be projected at over 25,000 people alone. Add in the thousands of units and that population could swell fairly dramatically. Not counting SouthEnd, Midtown, Plaza, NoDa & part of Dilworth

I think the population of SouthEnd & uptown a

Is more populated than Mooresville currently.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Is center city getting a little over-grocered at this point? 

I don't understand why you would think this. Just imagine uptown being it's own town. Population 25,000. Now think of any small town in the USA with 25,000 people and how many grocery stores they have? They have at least 5-10. Closer to 10 probably. I do realize uptown is probably less square miles but I can see 4 grocery stores uptown easily, maybe 5.

I don't understand why you would think this. Just imagine uptown being it's own town. Population 25,000. Now think of any small town in the USA with 25,000 people and how many grocery stores they have? They have at least 5-10. Closer to 10 probably. I do realize uptown is probably less square miles but I can see 4 grocery stores uptown easily, maybe 5.

Savannah's Historic District has ONE

For reference, the Charleston Peninsula has about 35k residents. They have 3 supermarkets (HT, BiLo, and Food Lion) and dozens of small neighborhood corner grocery stores. IMO, that's what I'd like to see in Charlotte - places that serve local needs without relying on HT and Publix to do market studies.