Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

op0sn9n.jpg?1

Merrifield Patrick Vermillion is under contract to purchase two lots on Kenilworth Avenue where the firm plans to build a two-story office building ranging in size from 12,000 to 16,000 square feet in size.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/10/merrifield-patrick-vermillion-planning-single.html

• 2 weeks later...

Pappas is proposing to build a city street to connect Baxter and Pearl Street. The city would reimburse some amount of money for him to do that, since it would be public infrastructure.

Well that would be AWESOME! Thats a very big block with no secondary connection. I'd like them to redo all the land around Charlottowne Terrace honestly.

Screen-Shot-2015-10-14-at-1.50.26-PM.thu

Edited by Guest

Since it would seem the cats outta the bag on this one, and I hadn't seen anyone posting site plans, I'd post these hereScreen_Shot_2015-10-14_at_2.14.49_PM.thuScreen_Shot_2015-10-14_at_2.31.09_PM.thu

ive had some time to digest this project and I think it's a big win for the area. The connecting street to Baxter which gives this property direct access to McDowell, is huge for the area, and Pearl Park on this side of kenilworth could use some life. It's amazing to think I used to eat at midtown sundries and now a project like this will finally take its place. This is the kind of mixed use project the city should hope for.

Edited by Guest

Is that just Phase 1? Seems there is still extra land.

Your first picture seems to not have worked.  I assume it is this:

Pappas1.jpe

It honestly will probably all be phased, but unless more land is purchased by CRAA the site plan posts is the extent. The first pic I posted I deleted, as there was info I wasn't comfortable being public. There will be a full write up with tons of images going public tomorrow. 

It honestly will probably all be phased, but unless more land is purchased by CRAA the site plan posts is the extent. The first pic I posted I deleted, as there was info I wasn't comfortable being public. There will be a full write up with tons of images going public tomorrow. 

Looks nice in the rendering but I guess I will reserve final judgment for when I see the final product.  

The city, however, is raising concerns about traffic for this project.  WTF is the city's deal with Midtown projects especially given their attitudes toward Southend.  They won't so much as flinch prior to allowing any crummy Southend project, but this is the second project in the Midtown area in less than a month that has caused council to take pause.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article39336087.html

CO's article on the development.  I want to troll LaWana Mayfield who is concerned about the impact of development out of her district but doesn't give genuine responses to citizens about the sterilizing development in her own district.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Looks nice in the rendering but I guess I will reserve final judgment for when I see the final product.  

The city, however, is raising concerns about traffic for this project.  WTF is the city's deal with Midtown projects especially given their attitudes toward Southend.  They won't so much as flinch prior to allowing any crummy Southend project, but this is the second project in the Midtown area in less than a month that has caused council to take pause.

Kings Drive becomes Queens Road West.

That's why.

And while some may see class conflict in that, Queens Road West has already become a much busier artery than it was ever meant to be.

South Boulevard has always been a busy artery, crappy apartments and all.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

I don't get a lot of current architectural trends (like window-doughnuts or whatever they're called), but I'm assuming it's contextual architecture that represents the early 20th century bungalows that they are leveling to build this project.

Based on what I'm seeing, I like this. The retail lining the park will make a really nice addition to that area and help open up that park along with the new street. The loss of the Greenwood Cliff is more than made up for by the fact that you could still navigate that route through the parking deck and the fact that they would punch Baxter through to Peal Park Way. My understanding is that the new street would be less of a right angle and more of a gentle curve that follows the topo. 

Park & Rec has been considering a reconfiguration of Pearl Park, so maybe we'll see that happen in conjunction with this project.

I like this.  I would love to see Midtown (from Presby all the way across South End) 3-7 stories in height, with an occasional high-rise poking through.

I suspect it would be Publix, but I certainly wouldn't complain if it were Earth Fare.

At one point, CATS envisioned a spur of the CityLynx turning right from Trade onto McDowell, then left on Kenilworth, running through Dilworth, possibly all the way to Lattimore (just short of Park Rd)....there certainly could be enough density along that route to support it.

One issue that makes traffic in Midtown more touchy than say SouthEnd are what I call "the Chokepoints"... PM has them similar to how Midtown has them... While both neighborhoods are relatively well "gridded" areas (relative to what we know in Charlotte) there are barriers that choke down traffic and make it function in a suburban like manner.  For us in PM the barriers  are the Rail line, and Independnence.  In Midtown they have 277 and the greenway.  Midtown will be well served by connecting to McDowell, but they have two major arteries (Kings and Kenilworth) that have and some definite choke points that will make the traffic that should flow in an urban manner choke up like the suburbs.