Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I thought the apartments at Kings / 3rd /Cherry were supposed to have street front retail? Did they pull the bait and switch too and just call the lounge/leasing center retail?

Not so much street-front retail as retail in the same parking lot as Chipotle.  It's there...

I'm hoping those spaces fronting Kings can be converted into retail eventually. I thought they were originally planned as such and the space looks pretty wasted with what's currently there. The retail across the Chipotle parking lot isn't done yet but looks like it will be recessed behind columns, and has a bit of a strip mall vibe to it. The main part of the building came out pretty nice IMO so I hate that the retail seems so begrudgingly included. 

21 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

They had the chance to be pioneers of that four corner main intersection, and they chose to cater to the existing buildings-in-a-parking-lot layout that Chipotle and Vitamin Shoppe mistakenly use. It's obscene and idiotic.

I love how this development is "obscene and idiotic" because it has resi units on the ground floor at 3rd but Woodfield NoDa, which is FAR more urban, walkable and retail oriented is somehow an excellent example of urban design when it has resi units along 36th and not retail. You're entitled to your own opinion, but pull back the reins dude. 

Midtown 205 is actually a pretty creatively laid out site considering the constraints. To get the density they did with wrap product is impressive and the retail is where it is because 1) they bought the site from FMW, who had already built the chipotle retail and access and parking easements were already in place, 2) with the topography as it is, the retail is at grade in the parking lot and the units above are at grade on Cherry Street so it made sense for retail to be there, and 3) the intersection of Kings and Charlottetown is already the center of retail gravity and has much more pedestrian activity, so why wouldn't they orient the retail in the same direction?

I didn't mean to be inflammatory, I apologize.

There's nothing wrong with residential on the ground floor, it's a great thing, especially compared to a parking garage or closed-off patios.. I just mean I don't think it was a good idea to put the retail in that parking lot section. I know it makes sense from the perspective of following the existing retail, but I believe that layout for Chipotle/Vitamin Shoppe was a mistake in the first place, so I feel it's short sighted to follow it. But it's not my project, or my money.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

• 3 weeks later...

^I agree with your other post. They crammed a lot of density on that site. The issues isn't the commercial location - its that they did a token amount of active street-level design. It's better than most of the podium apartments we've been getting in Charlotte - but not by much, and it wasn't done particularly well. I generally believe that developers are smart and can figure out ways to do it right, but they generally won't do it unless they have to.

All of that said, the real problem with that block is that the Vitamin Shop and Mattress Company were allowed to build those horrible suburban buildings in a place that wants to be much more urban in form.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Prodev said:

Just heard Petco and Sleepy's are taking the remaining space adjacent to BJs at Metro.

Smart. Need more pet supply in this area for sure. HATE going to Cotswold for petsmart and the pet supermarket in Dilworth is great, but I never see a single soul there other than me. 

Edited by Crown

• 4 weeks later...