Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

37 minutes ago, sakami said:

Is it confirmed that West Elm is moving out of Met Midtown to Atherton Mill or is it expanding locations? If it is moving what do people think could go in its place? 

I cant see it being a 2nd location so I would say the Met store would close.   That would be some great space for some retailer or maybe more than one.

^^^I have no idea why that Cherry project is delayed I think we have a couple of people who live in that community maybe they would know.  The Cherry Homesowners  group has had "issues" over the years I remember problems 10 plus years ago.  

^^^ In terms of the Pappas rezoning this document filed with the city going through the rezoning process now states what is happening.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2017/001-016/2017-011 staff analysis.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Victor28204 said:

The CCO is a non profit LLC, so their tax filings are published on the internet. Their 2017 filings show they spent $200k on legal fees for these lawsuits. They are technically supposed to be a community organization that holds elections, publishes bylaws, and works for the betterment of the neighborhood, but non of these things happen. The mouth piece of the group, Sylvia Bittle Patton, has a personal vendetta against Stoney Sellers, one of the parties associated with the development of the Saussy Burbank homes, so she is leveraging the resources of the CCO to get vengeance. The CCO owns a lot of property in Cherry and rents it at low income rates.  Their property portfolio is worth millions. If they were truly concerned with low income housing, they would sell half and use that money to build low income housing on the other half. They are more concerned with getting even than helping the elderly, low income, residents of the neighborhood. It’s sad and has been happening for 20+ years.

Interesting... seven-figure assets (which are declining, but still...) and looks like they're burning through their cash.

24 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Interesting... seven-figure assets (which are declining, but still...) and looks like they're burning through their cash.

The homes they own are dilapidated and ill maintained. Their assets, even if they report as depreciating, are in the land in which the homes sit on. They have a couple acres and could get a lot of money if they sold any of it. A tenth of an acre in Cherry is going for 275-300k. 

• Like 3

The Cherry Community Organization or whatever its legal name is has had legal issues for decades.  I remember there was a big financial scandal back in the 1990s before any new homes were built in there.  This organization should have been shut down long ago but won't happen for political reasons.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Vitamin_N said:

Is something going on with that old building (I think it's a cosmetology school or something) across from Target on Kings? I saw construction fencing around it the other day.

The building is getting upfitted.  I heard Starbucks was taking one of the newly created retail spots in the building.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2018 at 9:18 AM, AP3 said:

The building is getting upfitted.  I heard Starbucks was taking one of the newly created retail spots in the building.

I wish the bank, Arbys, and shopping center across the street from Midtown got redeveloped. If that ever happens, along with the Baxter development, this area of the city would become very dense. 

40 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I wish the bank, Arbys, and shopping center across the street from Midtown got redeveloped. If that ever happens, along with the Baxter development, this area of the city would become very dense. 

The shopping center was recently upfitted and has some new tenants so I don't see it changing anytime soon.

As somebody who walks in the area frequently, I'd like to see something happen to the Autobell at 3rd and Charlottetowne (it's not bad, it's just a decent-sized chunk of prime real estate) and to the adjacent chunk of land bounded by Charlottetowne, 1st, Cherry, and Fox.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Hunted said:

I love how this is being discussed in two threads. Lol

MOD EDIT: 

Midtown and Pappas projects can be discussed here.  

The 3rd and Baldwin and 7th and Pecan projects discussion have been moved and can be discussed in the Elizabeth thread:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/3500-elizabeth-projects-7th-st-elizabeth-ave-etc/?page=67

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dubone said:

MOD EDIT: 

Midtown and Pappas projects can be discussed here.  

The 3rd and Baldwin and 7th and Pecan projects discussion have been moved and can be discussed in the Elizabeth thread:

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/3500-elizabeth-projects-7th-st-elizabeth-ave-etc/?page=67

But why? Its being promoted as a Midtown Project, not a Elizabeth project. Its my opinion that as Elizabeth Avenue is built out, one day, that that'll be marketed as midtown as well, especially considering NIMBYs feelings toward the densification of this corridor. 

Edited by Guest

( The other topic is for the Elizabeth Avenue area, the hospitals, the original Whole Foods plan by Grubb, and CPCC and the beloved Bojangles, etc.  So even if that is now kinda being known as "Midtown" too, then all the other stuff in that vicinity is in the same boat.)

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ I think the Staples space would be easily released as that center is one of a kind.  I could see Ulta Beauty, Ross, TJ's, Homegoods etc going in there.  

or perhaps a co-working space? (see https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/14/former-big-box-retail-store-in-university-city.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search)