Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

That fly-thru made a lot more sense when I finally looked up that they were connecting Pearl Street through. 

That was very helpful, thank you. 

I've always had trouble understanding the layout of that area in my head, but after seeing the history and some old maps, now I know why: it was part of Brooklyn, so they razed everything and replaced it with mega-blocks of government buildings and housing projects (before I-277 this and 2nd Ward were clearly considered the same area).

It is pretty heart breaking to see that old street grid around Baxter St and Pearle Park Way and know it was filled with homes.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Charlotte-based CitiSculpt first proposed a mixed-use development two years ago, with plans calling for 255 apartments, a shared parking deck and what's now a seven-story, 90,438-square-foot office building on a site generally bounded by Kenilworth Avenue, Greenwood Cliff and Harding Place.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/12/05/developermidtown-boutique-office-project-could.html#i/10236635

Edited by MACyr
  • Like 3

They demolished one of the old houses on the parcel that has been identified as being for the Baxter Place development on Cherry St near Luther. This occurred over the last couple days. I hope construction starts soon. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article9164330.html

Edited by Victor28204
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Not totally understanding where this Baxter Place Building is supposed to be.  Can someone help me out with this screenshot I took of Cherry St @ Lutherimageproxy.php?img=&key=cfdcdf7370b84370

I think it's the whole block sans the "King' Tower" building.

"The site proposed for the project takes up most of the block defined by Luther Street to the north, Cherry Street to the east, Baxter Street to the south and South Kings Drive to the west. Roughly the southeast one-quarter of that block is not part of the project, Goode said."

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow - just wow.  I'm not sure if you all appreciate Institutional development within the City of Charlotte or rather prefer Private Developer / Development growth but there's really a lot going on institutionally.  Institutional isn't trendy, sexy or particularly street activating but it does make Charlotte a major destination for Healthcare Treatment, healthcare innovation, College Education and best of all signals tremendous investment in our Metro area.  I think maybe we should start an Institutional Growth thread either for Center City CLT or the CLT Metro area.  Also - They are gobbling up vacant land within the Midtown/Elizabeth areas and making it feel more hemmed in.  

I took a drive today thru the Midtown/Elizabeth commercial areas investigating the current construction underway this New Year.  

Novant Health - Has three (3) Tower Cranes working on two Major Campus Expansions

Atrium - Has Cancer Institute Site almost completed and Two (2) Office Buildings under construction on the Pappas / Realtor Site

CPCC - Has one (1) Tower Crane working on their massive Classroom Building (40% Larger than Overcash Building)

All of the above are in addition to several Private Developments that are under construction (Realtor Site), completing construction (Lincoln Dilworth Apt) or about to start (Baxter Place Office).

Really a lot of activity just outside of Uptown.  My only issue is the idea of a taller Midtown / Elizabeth is quickly dwindling as vacant lots disappear.  So here's to hoping Construction of the NAI Tower actually happens!

I drive north on Scott+Kenilworth quite often and have begun to take a right on Romany to Morehead to Kings intersection, and then left at the turn light at Kings and Morehead to reach Midtown, Trader Joes, or close-in Elizabeth locations. The construction lane closures mimic the amount of new traffic which will spread in this area. I expect to take this new route regularly even after Lincoln, hospital, and Pappas properties are complete.