Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

One silver lining to the hospital taking over this development is that it may give us hope for East Blvd.  I know a few years ago the hospital was purchasing properties left and right along East Blvd for future expansion.   It would be great if the hospital would concentrate on developing more in Midtown and let East Blvd develop more retail and residential options. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jtmonk said:

One silver lining to the hospital taking over this development is that it may give us hope for East Blvd.  I know a few years ago the hospital was purchasing properties left and right along East Blvd for future expansion.   It would be great if the hospital would concentrate on developing more in Midtown and let East Blvd develop more retail and residential options. 

What's wrong with East Blvd?  Bakersfield is all it needs :)

On 8/21/2019 at 3:45 PM, KJHburg said:

Story about the topping off of the first Atrium Health MOB  and check out that model of a future mega hospital building on the main campus of Atrium.  These 2 new buildings are rising next to the new Realtors building and deck.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/21/photos-atrium-healths-heart-and-vascular-office-in.html

image.png.e4eacaa5492fd54f5ed6247d15a922c9.png

Whoa.  Wonder how much of that "future construction planned at CMC campus" is actually planned or just a dream.

The big building on the left is probably just a gigantic parking garage...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, t_money said:

Whoa.  Wonder how much of that "future construction planned at CMC campus" is actually planned or just a dream.

It's pretty real. They are working pretty hard for that new building to get in the ground in the next 24-36mo, but that depends on what happens in Raleigh. I'll just leave this article here which might impact on that timeline:

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/state-house-rejects-limited-proposed-changes-to-con-laws/article_a4040ea8-8f3f-53cc-a022-77c65acc3679.html

On 8/22/2019 at 4:09 PM, t_money said:

image.png.e4eacaa5492fd54f5ed6247d15a922c9.png

That'd be a wildly inefficient parking garage design, so I don't think you need to worry lol.

On 8/23/2019 at 4:24 PM, CLT> said:

It's pretty real. They are working pretty hard for that new building to get in the ground in the next 24-36mo, but that depends on what happens in Raleigh. I'll just leave this article here which might impact on that timeline:

https://www.journalnow.com/news/local/state-house-rejects-limited-proposed-changes-to-con-laws/article_a4040ea8-8f3f-53cc-a022-77c65acc3679.html

I knew about the CON law. So passes 24-18 and then gets rejected 120-0? I don't understand politics...

That building looks significantly taller than the existing tower, which is already 12 floors I think?  Looks like a massive building. Quite the investment by Atrium.

• 2 weeks later...

from the article mentioned above

""It's not yet clear what the future of the midtown site could be. Levine rezoned the parcel in 2014 to allow up to 155 apartments and 175 hotel rooms in a mixed-use building up to 285 feet tall. Levine originally purchased the property in 2012 to build apartments.""

• Like 2

This whole development is pretty exciting.  The Midtown area around the Pappas project has really changed over the last 4 years.  Hopefully with the sale of this parcel they’ll be a high rise residential project in Midtown to help expand the skyline.  

Edited by Hushpuppy321

Just now, DMann said:

Perhaps the crew developing the site for the Intercontinental Hotel can go there and build a small footprint 35 story tower!!!  Fingers crossed.  Interesting to see JP Morgan being behind the purchase.

what's even more interesting is JP Morgan quietly bought all of Metropolitan during a heavy news week (Portman South End & JW Marriott)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, t_money said:

Atrium MOB at Kenilworth and Harding.  Noticed the fence sign now says 'midtown: in the center of it all'.  So a development called midtown in a neighborhood called midtown. Or maybe just a generic statement. Second building is rising now in the background.  Good news is they left those beautiful power lines untouched :tw_thumbsup:

I keep waiting for a savvy developer to rebrand a neighborhood as "downtown."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, ricky_bobby_fan_26 said:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2019/105-121/2019-114 site plan.pdf

1.  Thought this was interesting to look through.  Reestablishing connectivity on Fountain View seems to be a plus as the area moves toward higher density.  Not everyone is happy (See picture of a flyer distributed to local residents)

2.  As a nearby resident and heavy user of the greenway, I'd like to hear opinions on the likelihood/timeline of the greenway improvements.  Especially the new connections onto Lombardy Cir.  Do these plans mean the Florence Crittenton building will be razed?  (See picture from site plan)

3.  The "future construction" photo posted above seems to be centered on the current "Blythe Parking Deck".  Do we think that parking deck was designed or could be reinforced to act as a podium for this new building?

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 2.34.49 PM.png

Nimby.JPG

Did you attend this meeting? Seems like people are always against change.  Everyone one was losing their mind about the tower at 3rd, 4th and Baldwin.  It is less than a mile to the middle of a major, rapidly growing city and people don't expect things to change to increase density?

I doubt the parking deck was designed with an expansion like that in mind, but you never know. A building that tall would need deeper foundation than a parking deck I'm guessing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2