Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

17 hours ago, ricky_bobby_fan_26 said:

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2019/105-121/2019-114 site plan.pdf

1.  Thought this was interesting to look through.  Reestablishing connectivity on Fountain View seems to be a plus as the area moves toward higher density.  Not everyone is happy (See picture of a flyer distributed to local residents)

2.  As a nearby resident and heavy user of the greenway, I'd like to hear opinions on the likelihood/timeline of the greenway improvements.  Especially the new connections onto Lombardy Cir.  Do these plans mean the Florence Crittenton building will be razed?  (See picture from site plan)

3.  The "future construction" photo posted above seems to be centered on the current "Blythe Parking Deck".  Do we think that parking deck was designed or could be reinforced to act as a podium for this new building?

Screen Shot 2019-09-25 at 2.34.49 PM.png

Nimby.JPG

I LOVE YOUR NAME

Personally, I think that CMC has done wonders for that neighborhood.  When we first moved to Charlotte, South Kings went from impressive in Myers Park to not so nice by the hospital in a blink of an eye.  Now, thanks to CMC (I can't get used to calling it Atrium), the whole area is nice.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Personally, I think that CMC has done wonders for that neighborhood.  When we first moved to Charlotte, South Kings went from impressive in Myers Park to not so nice by the hospital in a blink of an eye.  Now, thanks to CMC (I can't get used to calling it Atrium), the whole area is nice.

Don't worry. According to the website the main campus is still 'CMC' - Carolinas Medical Center.   Its just part of Atrium Health now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, t_money said:

Don't worry. According to the website the main campus is still 'CMC' - Carolinas Medical Center.   Its just part of Atrium Health now.

Thanks.  That's good to know.  I have good memories of CMC.  Two of my kids were born there.  But for my wife's desire to work in an academic institution, we'd still be in Myers Park.

Edited by SydneyCarton

20 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

One thing that has always astounded me is the campus look and feeling for our two major hospitals. I have lived elsewhere, and traveled to plenty of cities , visited hospitals and my experience is that those hospitals are secure locations with effective and ugly fences around the perimeter and guards or guard-esque staff at all entrances including motor entrances. It is a bit like a jail for sick people and their handlers. Visitors must check in at secure entry points between the hours of X and X and have their pass with them for access to elevators and so on. I understand that there are amounts of drugs at a hospital and security is important to preserve hygiene. Nonetheless, our hospitals are open to all. I have walked through the campus of each to make a short cut to another location. I am never intercepted at a building door unless it is to advise me how to reach my desired medical destination. There are parking officers, that is all. The security staff in the buildings is either limited or out of uniform or both (except for Emergency Room.) It certainly has a welcoming appearance, as much as possible for such an institution. I applaud their ability to maintain security and also keep open doors and access to the campus without intimidating patients, visitors and neighbors.

The entrance of Novant at the end of Elizabeth is very regal feeling.  And the old Belk house makes it feel like a little neighborhood or something.  CMC doesn't feel quite so historic when you drive up the main entrance, but the tree lined street over a little bridge to a fountain is definitely nice. Especially with the Christmas lights on the trees!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, t_money said:

The entrance of Novant at the end of Elizabeth is very regal feeling.  And the old Belk house makes it feel like a little neighborhood or something.  CMC doesn't feel quite so historic when you drive up the main entrance, but the tree lined street over a little bridge to a fountain is definitely nice. Especially with the Christmas lights on the trees!

Presbyterian/Novant definitely looks nicer, but CMC is the 1,000 pound gorilla in the Charlotte medical profession.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, hinsp0 said:

CPCC cranes

Atrium and realtor’s development.

EAA2DD5F-2F57-4995-BB60-5AA21EC45CC8.jpeg

Drove by this the other day.  When approaching on Kenilworth from uptown this thing is big.  Takes up a lot of space!.  I don't understand how this will look like this rendering though?  I guess this is from the other side of the buildings off the little side road? Because it seems like from the angle above it is (as usual) mostly parking garage.

image.png.5437041463b8d5167d174d67e2745672.png

9 minutes ago, t_money said:

Drove by this the other day.  When approaching on Kenilworth from uptown this thing is big.  Takes up a lot of space!.  I don't understand how this will look like this rendering though?  I guess this is from the other side of the buildings off the little side road? Because it seems like from the angle above it is (as usual) mostly parking garage.

image.png.5437041463b8d5167d174d67e2745672.png

This view will directly front HARDING PLACE. There is still a second phase of building to build, that will make it look more like this.

The building being built is in blue, and in the left part of the rendering. 

image.thumb.png.d819a89f1a5a264b45617e785074a641.png

Edited by Guest

I *think* the issue is that there's an entire section of buildings to be built in front of the structures you currently see. The additional buildings (which I believe are what are shown above) will actually front Pearl Park Way, taking up all of that current dead zone between the extant buildings and the PPW.  

This all makes sense for flow of traffic.  Are they adding a light at Harding and KW? I can't tell from that plan.  Is that from a rezoning application?  On one hand, a left turn on to KW from there would be dangerous (already is), but there are already 2 light relatively close on Kenilworth!  Ah but I guess now you can go on the new connector road on the left of that drawing to pearl parkway which has a light.

But there is another Pappas building going in front of the parking garage portion right?  I can't remember from the original site plan, although that has changed a bit since it was originally posted here anyway.

18 minutes ago, michaelef said:

Per Charlotte Five a 150 room Tapestry hotel by Hilton is coming to Midtown. Corner of Berkeley Ave and Pearl Park way. Will include rooftop bar and retail 

1ED3CC20-77CF-4B8D-8802-B05DA2912600.jpeg

Cool addition. These hotels are collection hotels, Charlotte doesn’t have many of those. Second location in NC for Tapestry, second to Wilmington. 

• Like 1