Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

2 hours ago, Temeteron said:

Can’t remember if this was mentioned earlier but according to Charlotte Agenda, the West Elm Store is closing the Met location.  Rumors were that they’d have both south end and that one but apparently that’s not the case

Makes sense. I thought it was odd to have two so close together. And the stores at Atherton pair better with West Elm than Best Buy and Marshall’s. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, j-man said:

I always say that parcel should be a huge hotel, and get rid of that damn wendys and replace it with some mixed use building.  

Didn't Wendy's refuse to sell when all that was being redeveloped initially?  I thought I read that somewhere otherwise it would have been a part of the Target building.

I don't go to that Wendy's as it is always the slowest service imaginable. 

5 hours ago, t_money said:

Didn't Wendy's refuse to sell when all that was being redeveloped initially?  I thought I read that somewhere otherwise it would have been a part of the Target building.

I don't go to that Wendy's as it is always the slowest service imaginable. 

Not sure but the Wendy’s on this corner feels just as random as the Burger King in SouthPark.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Third Strike said:

I wonder what retailers will occupy Vivace, West Elm, and Staples. West Elm especially has a great spot at the corner of Charlottetowne and Metropolitan, and frontage towards Sugar Creek. A major retailer like H&M or Apple would be a huge win for the complex. 

Michaels, H&M  and pier 1 make sense to me.

those 3 seem to be tenants that are in these big Urban retail centers together along with Target and Petco. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Per Charlotte Agenda on Facebook -

"BJ's CLOSING: BJ's Wholesale Club is closing its Charlotte store in Midtown by February 1, spokeswoman Kristy Houston said in an email. The retailer has operated in its 101,000 square-foot spot at 900 Metropolitan Avenue, right below Target, since late 2015.
Before it was a BJ's, the space was vacant for years. Home Depot Design Center shuttered its store in that spot in 2009, during the downturn.
BJ's, which sells everything from chewing gum to batteries to snow boots at wholesale prices, is currently offering a 25 percent off store-wide sale in Midtown. Within a few weeks, BJ's also closing its store in Geneva, New York.
"These closures are based on a review of club performance as well as real estate and market evaluation," Houston said. Members will be eligible for a refund of their membership fees, she added."

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cpink said:

Per Charlotte Agenda on Facebook -

"BJ's CLOSING: BJ's Wholesale Club is closing its Charlotte store in Midtown by February 1, spokeswoman Kristy Houston said in an email. The retailer has operated in its 101,000 square-foot spot at 900 Metropolitan Avenue, right below Target, since late 2015.
Before it was a BJ's, the space was vacant for years. Home Depot Design Center shuttered its store in that spot in 2009, during the downturn.
BJ's, which sells everything from chewing gum to batteries to snow boots at wholesale prices, is currently offering a 25 percent off store-wide sale in Midtown. Within a few weeks, BJ's also closing its store in Geneva, New York.
"These closures are based on a review of club performance as well as real estate and market evaluation," Houston said. Members will be eligible for a refund of their membership fees, she added."

I mean, the site can't really be redeveloped can it? It still have the Target and Petco too. Or could they save the BJ's and leave the other two

BJ's is too much stuff for Center City apartment dwellers who usually live in households of 2 or less and don't want to store 60 rolls of toilet paper, yet doesn't carry upscale enough products to appeal to the affluent suburban housing in Dilworth and Myers Park where they might actually have space to store 60 rolls of toilet paper. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

TBH I think a Costco would have done fine there. To me the problem is BJs as a brand is just overshadowed by other club stores, and no one wants to pay for more memberships.

I totally agree.  When they announced that BJ's was moving into the old HD Design space, I couldn't help but think that Costco would be a better fit there.  They had just entered the market a few years prior to that and were the newer west-coast kid in town.  I've had memberships previously to both and I really can't remember any appreciable difference because its been so long, but there was always something kinda "your father's Oldsmobile" about BJ's to me.  Costco just seemed.... slightly cooler and less utilitarian I guess.  I think a Costco there would have pulled more people from Target.  Like combined Target/Costco runs.