Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

actually when it was vacant for so long I thought the best use would be mini warehouse storage units.   I think that spot will be tough for retail on any kind and I can't see a Costco going into such a tight spot.  It is hard to buy in bulk and walk or bike or take transit home.  I suggest it would be a good medical office center or back office for Atrium health something that could be pushed out of the main campus.  

• Like 2

Well I am heartbroken that BJ’s is closing. Living in Elizabeth I could get there in 5 minutes and shopped there more than once a week. I regularly ran into friends who live in other center city neighborhoods shopping there. While there are many one bedroom apartments in the area there are lots of single-family homes full of children within a 2 mile radius as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

I totally agree.  When they announced that BJ's was moving into the old HD Design space, I couldn't help but think that Costco would be a better fit there.  They had just entered the market a few years prior to that and were the newer west-coast kid in town.  I've had memberships previously to both and I really can't remember any appreciable difference because its been so long, but there was always something kinda "your father's Oldsmobile" about BJ's to me.  Costco just seemed.... slightly cooler and less utilitarian I guess.  I think a Costco there would have pulled more people from Target.  Like combined Target/Costco runs. 

Well, I’ve done combined BJs and Target runs there for quite a while now.  I actually prefer Costco more (for the most part), but BJs was much more convenient to me, which is why I got a membership there. This location closing is disappointing for many reasons.   

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, R.Talbott said:

Well, I’ve done combined BJs and Target runs there for quite a while now.  I actually prefer Costco more (for the most part), but BJs was much more convenient to me, which is why I got a membership there. This location closing is disappointing for many reasons.   

Of course.  I'm sure lots of folks hit both stores.  I just wonder if a Costco having gone there would still be open and thriving, despite the traffic and parking cluster that is Midtown.  I'm betting it would, and with zero scientific data to support any of my claims.  ;^)

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

BJ's is too much stuff for Center City apartment dwellers who usually live in households of 2 or less and don't want to store 60 rolls of toilet paper, yet doesn't carry upscale enough products to appeal to the affluent suburban housing in Dilworth and Myers Park where they might actually have space to store 60 rolls of toilet paper. 

LOL Amen! Newer apartments suck now . Higher rents and lower square footage. 

• Like 3

Maybe an Aldi or Lidl will take that BJs space.   It is hard for them to find intown location and I know Aldi has taken vacant big boxes before not sure about Lidl. 

One that won't happen is Wegmans as someone joked on twitter.  Too small and they do their own thing build to suit and very rarely go into existing spots.  

• Like 3

I think a REI would be a fantastic idea.  Uptown/Midtown is exactly in between their two locations (North Lake & Pineville).  The active lifestyle around that area is perfect.  And if someone wants to bring in a box store type still (Bed Bath & beyond, etc), remember there is still that vacant spot next to Marshalls across the street where the old Staples used to be (above Best Buy).  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I think a REI would be a fantastic idea.  Uptown/Midtown is exactly in between their two locations (North Lake & Pineville).  The active lifestyle around that area is perfect.  And if someone wants to bring in a box store type still (Bed Bath & beyond, etc), remember there is still that vacant spot next to Marshalls across the street where the old Staples used to be (above Best Buy).  

they had a LOI at Brooklyn Village. 

It was a big mistake to push the parking garage up against the road and hide the retail behind the wall of parking. It is difficult to see the stores in this center, and Target benefits from being on the top floor with street visibility to Kings Road. It would have been better if the stores were up against the road, they could have window displays and entrances from the sidewalk, with the garage tucked behind. Instead, the BJ's location is a cold, dark, cave that doesn't really entice people to come shop. 

The vacant Staples location across the street has the same problem. Cold, dark, uninviting, and a parking garage from hell. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'd love to see an REI there to give a different option from the hunting and fishing-focused Cabella's and Bass Pro in the area. No idea if they're looking to expand here or not though.

REI average SF is 25k.  The Denver one downtown is 43K sf and a flagship store.  

We ain't getting anything like the Denver REI.