Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

uptownliving

10 hours ago, Scribe said:

I thought the re-zoning for this was approved already sometime last year? Or am I thinking of a different project?

Yup, just checked again, the zoning was approved in June of 2018... so, there is very little Cherry folks can do about it now.

image.png.ab05bd9f444d325ada2bb5b6ca204fdd.png

The main person that complained about this project, who claimed to represent Cherry, moved to Charleston last summer and sold her house in Cherry (If my memory serves me correctly.) I believe she even wrote an editorial to the Observer with her objections to it. To me, this project really is not even in Cherry, but is Cherry adjacent. Her objections were based in the idea of furthering economic disparities between the renters who once lived in Cherry and those who were building and buying here. It's doesn't matter if it's a 20 story building, or a brand new house as their goal is to pump the brakes on any projects that would appreciate already expensive property values in Cherry. Those with the loudest voices in Cherry are against any developments that may appreciate home values.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Victor28204 said:

The main person that complained about this project, who claimed to represent Cherry, moved to Charleston last summer and sold her house in Cherry (If my memory serves me correctly.) I believe she even wrote an editorial to the Observer with her objections to it. To me, this project really is not even in Cherry, but is Cherry adjacent. Her objections were based in the idea of furthering economic disparities between the renters who once lived in Cherry and those who were building and buying here. It's doesn't matter if it's a 20 story building, or a brand new house as their goal is to pump the brakes on any projects that would appreciate already expensive property values in Cherry. Those with the loudest voices in Cherry are against any developments that may appreciate home values.

Bravo. This isn't Cherry and never has been. This is Elizabeth. There has been a heinous parking lot surrounding a Novant building for at least 20 years. There is no value to this lot and what is going on in Cherry has ZERO to do with this location.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

16 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Bravo. This isn't Cherry and never has been. This is Elizabeth. There has been a heinous parking lot surrounding a Novant building for at least 20 years. There is no value to this lot and what is going on in Cherry has ZERO to do with this location.

To be clear, I'm in favor of this project, but I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The project may "technically" lie within the accepted geographic boundaries of Elizabeth, but it will affect the Cherry far more. Many of Cherry's neighborhood entrances lie alongside this project and will certainly be impacted. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, tozmervo said:

To be clear, I'm in favor of this project, but I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The project may "technically" lie within the accepted geographic boundaries of Elizabeth, but it will affect the Cherry far more. Many of Cherry's neighborhood entrances lie alongside this project and will certainly be impacted. 

Agreed. It impacts Cherry and those homes along Queens more than anyone in Elizabeth. Elizabeth NIMBYs fought this too, a year or so ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the second time I've seen this stat about the Target.  I know that target is busy, but to imagine it as one of the busiest in the state is really crazy to me.  When all the other Target stores have a parking lot bigger than the area of the store and this one feels bound by its little garage.  Can you see individual store number somehow?

47 minutes ago, t_money said:
48 minutes ago, t_money said:

This is the second time I've seen this stat about the Target.  I know that target is busy, but to imagine it as one of the busiest in the state is really crazy to me.  When all the other Target stores have a parking lot bigger than the area of the store and this one feels bound by its little garage.  Can you see individual store number somehow?

Have a friend who works there and they are indeed the highest volume store in their district which is NC, SC, eastern TN and Southeastern GA.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

check out the demographics within 1 and 3 miles they are OFF the chart from the marketing brochure. (Metropolitan) 

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=225345

I'm honestly surprised it's not even harder to park at Trader Joe's and Target. Those demographics are bonkers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I loved that Target and TJ's.  Anyway, all TJ's are hard to park at.  The one by Piper Glen is a headache.

I've never been to a TJ's, in four states all across the country, that had easy parking. The only thing I can think of is that since their stores are usually so small they don't require a lot of parking by code and there's just always a lot more people in the store than are supposed to be there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

What factors are the numerator and denominator of "5/100"?

5 parking spaces per 1000 square feet of floor space. So if a typical Trader Joe's is 15,000 square feet they are required to have 75 spaces and if a typical Harris Teeter is 45,000 square feet they are required to have 225 spaces.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pictures were posted in the Dilworth thread and a comment was made on the size of the deck.

Just wanted to point out that not only is that deck for the 2 nearly complete medical office buildings, but will also serve the Tapestry hotel and 3rd office building.

• Like 3