Jump to content

uptownliving

Metropolitan, Midtown Redevelopment

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I thought the re-zoning for this was approved already sometime last year? Or am I thinking of a different project?

Yup, just checked again, the zoning was approved in June of 2018... so, there is very little Cherry folks can do about it now.

image.png.ab05bd9f444d325ada2bb5b6ca204fdd.png

Good. NIMBYers can whine about something else now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, Scribe said:

I thought the re-zoning for this was approved already sometime last year? Or am I thinking of a different project?

Yup, just checked again, the zoning was approved in June of 2018... so, there is very little Cherry folks can do about it now.

image.png.ab05bd9f444d325ada2bb5b6ca204fdd.png

The main person that complained about this project, who claimed to represent Cherry, moved to Charleston last summer and sold her house in Cherry (If my memory serves me correctly.) I believe she even wrote an editorial to the Observer with her objections to it. To me, this project really is not even in Cherry, but is Cherry adjacent. Her objections were based in the idea of furthering economic disparities between the renters who once lived in Cherry and those who were building and buying here. It's doesn't matter if it's a 20 story building, or a brand new house as their goal is to pump the brakes on any projects that would appreciate already expensive property values in Cherry. Those with the loudest voices in Cherry are against any developments that may appreciate home values.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Victor28204 said:

The main person that complained about this project, who claimed to represent Cherry, moved to Charleston last summer and sold her house in Cherry (If my memory serves me correctly.) I believe she even wrote an editorial to the Observer with her objections to it. To me, this project really is not even in Cherry, but is Cherry adjacent. Her objections were based in the idea of furthering economic disparities between the renters who once lived in Cherry and those who were building and buying here. It's doesn't matter if it's a 20 story building, or a brand new house as their goal is to pump the brakes on any projects that would appreciate already expensive property values in Cherry. Those with the loudest voices in Cherry are against any developments that may appreciate home values.

Bravo. This isn't Cherry and never has been. This is Elizabeth. There has been a heinous parking lot surrounding a Novant building for at least 20 years. There is no value to this lot and what is going on in Cherry has ZERO to do with this location.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Bravo. This isn't Cherry and never has been. This is Elizabeth. There has been a heinous parking lot surrounding a Novant building for at least 20 years. There is no value to this lot and what is going on in Cherry has ZERO to do with this location.

To be clear, I'm in favor of this project, but I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The project may "technically" lie within the accepted geographic boundaries of Elizabeth, but it will affect the Cherry far more. Many of Cherry's neighborhood entrances lie alongside this project and will certainly be impacted. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, tozmervo said:

To be clear, I'm in favor of this project, but I strongly disagree with this sentiment. The project may "technically" lie within the accepted geographic boundaries of Elizabeth, but it will affect the Cherry far more. Many of Cherry's neighborhood entrances lie alongside this project and will certainly be impacted. 

Agreed. It impacts Cherry and those homes along Queens more than anyone in Elizabeth. Elizabeth NIMBYs fought this too, a year or so ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe this particular development will be good for this section of Midtown/Cherry/Elizabeth.  I only wish more of those vacant lots Novant owns could be developed along the GoldLine

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A while back someone mentioned that there was talk of an office building going up where the Wells Fargo is on Kenilworth near the new MOB that is under construction. Does anyone know if that is still in play? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the second time I've seen this stat about the Target.  I know that target is busy, but to imagine it as one of the busiest in the state is really crazy to me.  When all the other Target stores have a parking lot bigger than the area of the store and this one feels bound by its little garage.  Can you see individual store number somehow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, t_money said:
48 minutes ago, t_money said:

This is the second time I've seen this stat about the Target.  I know that target is busy, but to imagine it as one of the busiest in the state is really crazy to me.  When all the other Target stores have a parking lot bigger than the area of the store and this one feels bound by its little garage.  Can you see individual store number somehow?

Have a friend who works there and they are indeed the highest volume store in their district which is NC, SC, eastern TN and Southeastern GA.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, KJHburg said:

check out the demographics within 1 and 3 miles they are OFF the chart from the marketing brochure. (Metropolitan) 

https://my.hfflp.com/GetDocument?DT=DealDocument&ID=225345

I'm honestly surprised it's not even harder to park at Trader Joe's and Target. Those demographics are bonkers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I'm honestly surprised it's not even harder to park at Trader Joe's and Target. Those demographics are bonkers.

I loved that Target and TJ's.  Anyway, all TJ's are hard to park at.  The one by Piper Glen is a headache.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I loved that Target and TJ's.  Anyway, all TJ's are hard to park at.  The one by Piper Glen is a headache.

 

I've never been to a TJ's, in four states all across the country, that had easy parking. The only thing I can think of is that since their stores are usually so small they don't require a lot of parking by code and there's just always a lot more people in the store than are supposed to be there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's exactly it. TJ does about $2,000 per square foot in sales versus a Publix/Harris Teeter, which in NC do about $500 per square foot in sales. Both ask for 5/1000 parking ratio.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's insane. The same amount of parking, with the same or cheaper prices, yet they're making 4 times the amount per square foot. I'd love to see the numbers on stores in that TJ's vein like Aldi, their stores are pretty small too but never really packed with people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tarhoosier said:

What factors are the numerator and denominator of "5/100"?

5 parking spaces per 1000 square feet of floor space. So if a typical Trader Joe's is 15,000 square feet they are required to have 75 spaces and if a typical Harris Teeter is 45,000 square feet they are required to have 225 spaces.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By markhollin
      Spectrum | Emery Inc. has offered specifics and has released an image for its 18th & Chet office building planned for Music Row. The 10-story building, to anchor the northeast corner of 18th Avenue South and Chet Atkins Place, will span about 130,000 square feet, with Nashville-based Earl Swensson Associates to serve as architect.
      Spectrum | Emery has the multi-parcel property under contract and hopes to close on the purchase by August’s end. David Wells, Spectrum | Emery vice president, told NBJ the company expects to ask about $38 per square foot.
      An early to mid-2018 completion date is being eyed.      --Nashville Post, June 23, 2016



      The development is within the light blue square in the center of this screenshot from Smeagolsfree's excellent Nashville Metro Development Map:
    • By markhollin
      A 20 story, 421 unit residential tower that will include ground floor retail and a garage to be called Kenect Nashville is slated for 1815 Division Street in Midtown.  This is the former site of the Florence Crittenton Home for Unwed Mothers at the T-intersection of Division and 19th Ave. South.  No renderings as of yet.

      Chicago-based developer Akara Partners will be in charge of the project.  Going before Metro Planning on Oct 12 with more specifics. 

      http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20974398/midtown-site-eyed-for-highrise-building

      http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/09/01/20-story-421-unit-kenect-nashville-apartments-retail-space-planned-midtown-site/625881001/

      https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/09/01/chicago-developer-unveils-plans-for-midtown-high.html
       


      Here is what Kenect Chicago looks like (just 16 stories):


    • By PHofKS
      Eakin Partners now has a website promoting the 2018 opening of their 12 story spec office building in the western end of Mid-town in Nashville.

       
       
       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.