Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

The history of preservation in Atlanta

4 posts in this topic

I just ran across some really interesting, insightful information about the history of the preservation movement in Atlanta. We often bemoan the architectural losses that the city has suffered through the years, and this gives some background information. I thought some of you guys would find it interesting as well.

The article that I referenced above actually says that the city at one point was going to demolish the Fox Theater. Of course, I find that reprehensible today, but what condition was the theater in? Anyone know? I also didn't know that the establishment of MARTA had taken out so many historic structures. I wonder if that was the case in DC as well with Metro.

The article that I referenced above actually says that the city at one point was going to demolish the Fox Theater. Of course, I find that reprehensible today, but what condition was the theater in? Anyone know? I also didn't know that the establishment of MARTA had taken out so many historic structures. I wonder if that was the case in DC as well with Metro.

^Thanks for that information. The Fox would have been a great loss; I'm glad it didn't happen.