Virginia Beach Market Square

757hokie

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ClarkNexsen09-1.png

Virginia Beach Market Square

Combining a large development with the comforts of a small town community, this project focuses on a central village green surrounded by retail, apartments, office space, and a 120-key hotel.

looks awesome, but where is it?

Actually, strike that. I think option 2 is probably our culprit.

Mixed use deal

A developer has closed on a deal to buy 23 acres of land on Greenwich Road, with an eye toward building a mixed-use complex of offices, apartments and a hotel.

The purchase price was $10.4 million, according to Mark Warlick, senior vice president of S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co., which marketed the property.

Page Johnson, president of Harmony Hospitality of Virginia Beach, confirmed the deal Thursday. Harmony bought the land, next to Interstate 264, from Landmark Communications Inc., the parent company of The Virginian-Pilot.

The land is in two parcels. One is 17 acres, across the street from The Pilot

On a side note, I think all the increased talk about light rail is really setting off development in VB. One thing that this development and the new one at TC has in common is that the rail line runs right by them. We seem to be on the exact same trajectory that Arlington was on at this point in their transit history.

On a side note, I think all the increased talk about light rail is really setting off development in VB. One thing that this development and the new one at TC has in common is that the rail line runs right by them. We seem to be on the exact same trajectory that Arlington was on at this point in their transit history.

By the way, what ever happened to the talks of Historic Kempsville? Did it just die because there does not seem to be any updates since November 2006. I have to say that I am really glad that Virginia Beach is going to new urbanism, after being away from there for a few years for college and then returning after taking an urban geography class I was horrified by the amount of sprawl in Virginia beach but the trend seems to be reversing.

By the way, what ever happened to the talks of Historic Kempsville? Did it just die because there does not seem to be any updates since November 2006. I have to say that I am really glad that Virginia Beach is going to new urbanism, after being away from there for a few years for college and then returning after taking an urban geography class I was horrified by the amount of sprawl in Virginia beach but the trend seems to be reversing.

The project is still moving forward, but slowly, and with the market they are taking a smart-market approach that won't hinder any phase of the development. Inside the boundaries of the overlay you're most likely to see 'Mom and Pop' shops, eating establishments with Georgian architecture. The project is now looked at as a "redevelopment project with a road running through it." Where before, it was viewed as a demo project-type to complement the road expansion, the focus has turned to the land there.

I was looking at Clark Nexen's website and the design on this Market Square has a very similar layout to ODU's Quad housing, which they also designed. I'm not knockin' it, I just noticed the similarity or reused of design scheme in both projects. I hope it works well for the area. It does look like a tricky area to build a viable mixed-used area in, though the lightrail with change that for the better.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, talk about pointless, this parcel is just for the three apartment buildings that will look like any other suburban apartment building ever built....then the other parcel of land that is next to this looks like they want to build nothing more than three 6 story office buildings and a 4 story hotel.....can we say office park???

Of course I was never really expecting much from this anyway, it was in a weird location and on top of that, I never really knew Kempsville had a historical area.

Archived