Urban Design

whatwhat

Originally I was going to link to this on the convention center thread due to the concerns of just having a big box. It seems to touch on much more than that so I decided to just start a new thread. The speech is from 2004 and may be old news to you. (I'm pretty new to all of this) However it makes some interesting points I've often heard echoed among these threads. Also, it's pretty funny. So when you have about 20min to kill check it out.

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/121

Also, I recommend going full screen with the video.

Enjoy!

**Note: He does drop the F-Bomb a few times so it's a little NSFW from a language standpoint.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting video, thanks for posting.

It touched on some good points, however i think all of the comedy (while entertaining) takes away from the seriousness of the topic. I'm curious as to whom his audience was in the lecture. I did enjoy his evolution of the dead mall, it sums up the hope of this whole experiment. The only thing i was looking for was a little more focus on the micro issues and ways to solve them.

But i suppose for someone who had never given this subject any thought, it could be informative. However, i doubt any of his audience went directly to their property and began a transformation.

Again, worth watching.

It was at the TED Conference a few years ago so it would have been a mix of people that for the most part specialize in something else. Apparently it is a very prestigious conference to attend and many "great minds" share ideas.

From their website:

"The annual conference now brings together the world's most fascinating thinkers and doers, who are challenged to give the talk of their lives (in 18 minutes)."

Bill Gates was one of the presenters this year. I've watched several presentations on their website and so far all have been fascinating.

Anyway, I think that is why he added some of the fluff.

Interesting video, thanks for posting.

It touched on some good points, however i think all of the comedy (while entertaining) takes away from the seriousness of the topic. I'm curious as to whom his audience was in the lecture. I did enjoy his evolution of the dead mall, it sums up the hope of this whole experiment. The only thing i was looking for was a little more focus on the micro issues and ways to solve them.

But i suppose for someone who had never given this subject any thought, it could be informative. However, i doubt any of his audience went directly to their property and began a transformation.

Again, worth watching.

Great video! Hilarious.. while also very informative.. especially for those who are not too familiar with the subject.

I WILL pass this along.. to friends and family that ive previously attempted (maybe poorly) to explain what's wrong with suburbia and car-oriented development.

Archived