Entertainment in Spartanburg

alias007

I'd like to see an entertainment list of places and events for Spartanburg. I tend to forget what all we have, and when someone tells me that there's nothing to do, I tend to draw a blank when I know it's not true. Compared to bigger cities, sure. There's not near as much. Who would I be kidding, right? But we do have shows, events and such. And I need a list to look back on so that next time I draw a blank I can give them a nice list.

I'll try to list some obvious and less obvious ones.

Movies

• Spartan 16 (near Westgate)

• Carmike 7 (on East Main)

Bowling

• Shamrock Lanes on Blackstock

• Star Lanes on East Main

Comedy

• PJ's will do a comedy night, I'm not sure how often. Anyone know?

Parks

• Funtasia on Heron Circle (batting range, mini golf, arcade, etc...)

Skating

[*]Skate Palace on S Pine

Events

[*]Shamrocks on the Square (this year, it's March 14)

[*]Music on Main (Thursdays, April-August)

[*]Spring Fling (this year, it's May 1-3)

[*]Oktoberfest

[*]Spartanburg International Festival (October 3rd, this year)

[*]Panthers Training Camp during Training (I still need to go there, ugh...)

[*]Haunted Trails at Halloween (I can't think of any specific ones at the moment

[*]Lighting of the christmas tree @ Denny's Corporate first Tuesday(?) after Thanksgiving

I know this is a short list, but I'll post more as they come to mind.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see an entertainment list of places and events for Spartanburg. I tend to forget what all we have, and when someone tells me that there's nothing to do, I tend to draw a blank when I know it's not true. Compared to bigger cities, sure. There's not near as much. Who would I be kidding, right? But we do have shows, events and such. And I need a list to look back on so that next time I draw a blank I can give them a nice list.

I'll try to list some obvious and less obvious ones.

Movies

• Spartan 16 (near Westgate)

• Carmike 7 (on East Main)

Bowling

• Shamrock Lanes on Blackstock

• Star Lanes on East Main

Comedy

• PJ's will do a comedy night, I'm not sure how often. Anyone know?

Parks

• Funtasia on Heron Circle (batting range, mini golf, arcade, etc...)

Skating

[*]Skate Palace on S Pine

Events

[*]Shamrocks on the Square (this year, it's March 14)

[*]Music on Main (Thursdays, April-August)

[*]Spring Fling (this year, it's May 1-3)

[*]Oktoberfest

[*]Spartanburg International Festival (October 3rd, this year)

[*]Panthers Training Camp during Training (I still need to go there, ugh...)

[*]Haunted Trails at Halloween (I can't think of any specific ones at the moment

[*]Lighting of the christmas tree @ Denny's Corporate first Tuesday(?) after Thanksgiving

I know this is a short list, but I'll post more as they come to mind.

There's a cinema inside Westgate Mall and another one on Reidville Road. Don't forget Cleveland Park, Duncan Park, several other county parks, Lake Bowen, Hollywild Zoo, and Croft State Park. There's also a fun park on 295 bypass. Cowpens Battlefield is twenty minutes away.

Then there's a myriad of cultural events at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium, Chapman Cultural Center, Converse College, USC-Upstate, Wofford, etc. Our excellent county library system always has something working for all age groups.

Then there's college and high school sports. Both Wofford College and USC-Upstate compete on the NCAA Division I level. Converse and Spartanburg Methodist College also field competitive programs in many sports.

One other event at Barnet Park - Red, White, and Boom.

Look, I've lived in several cities around the country, all of them larger than Spartanburg. I've heard the same refrain in every city - "there's nothing to do here". There's plenty to do in Spartanburg!

There's Jazz on the Square, April - May.

Delaney's has live bands almost every night of the week.

Wild Wings has the louder/larger bands and some night life (well... they will when it opens back up)

Sonny's Brick Oven Pizza has a small stage and has music on weekends

Ground Zero has your rock/metal/alternative bands

City Events List

CVB List

I'll think of more later. There's plenty to do.

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned Hub-Bub. do any of you go there? for entertainment, they offer a little of everything - independent films, live music, art exhibits, poetry slams, readings, small-scale theater, how-to art workshops and other stuff....

Archived