Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ezekiel

High Speed Rail

6 posts in this topic

Apparently the new economic stimulus bill includes $8 billion towards the development of high-speed passenger rail service in certain parts of the country. Upstate SC is one of them. Although I'm sure any such service is still years away, and may not stop any closer than Greenville, Spartanburg may still benefit from improvements to rail/highway crossings. This might include the ones in Fairforest and Arcadia (I believe the current Amtrak trains travel that route).

http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/203

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/18/m...e_n_167804.html

There will be a stop in Spartanburg. Like any other train service, the actual number of trains that stop in Spartanburg will be less frequent than in Greenville simply because we're a smaller city- but we will get a stop.

For the latest on high speed rail in South Carolina, please use this thread. Check out the links to the SEHSR Study.

The plan to connect Richmond to Norfolk is along highway 460. There is an existing rail line present which will be expanded. It should connect with local mass transit/commuter rail at the Bowers Hill interchange...for those who are familiar with Norfolk.

That would be awesome if it ever came to fruition.

I think there is a lot more interest in Georgia and North Carolina that will ultimately drag South Carolina into the mix like you are seeing here. I think it's just a matter of time before it happens. North Carolina has already started work on double-tracking the entire route between Charlotte and Raleigh, which is a precursor to high speed rail.