Has the republican's rising star Bobby Jindal already fallen flat?

cityboi

Many Republicans view Bobby Jindal as their version of Barack Obama. Hes a minority with a great story, he young and hes not an old white guy. Repbulicans fear they are quickly becoming the party of the South and they are looking for a fresh face for their party. But Bobby Jindal seems to have dissapointed alot of people in his response to Barack Obama's speech a few nights ago. These were words that described his response "Insane" "Childish" "Disaster". He has been criticized because he sounded over coached, over rehearsed and you could tell he was reading from a telepromter. If the republicans view Bobby Jindal as the next leader of the republican party then having him respond to Obama the other night was the worse thing they could have done because he didnt have the stage and the applause that Obama had. In comparison to Obama, Jindal lacks oratory skills and has no "heart" in what he says...looks like the republicans better look for another fresh face.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if he has fallen flat, but I would say he definitely blew it in his response. I will say, however, that I have been pleased with the attention he has given to north Louisiana since becoming govermor. He pretty much has to, since during his campaign he promised to be more proactive in north Louisiana. He is the first governor in a long time to take an interest in the goings-on in the northern part of the state. He has been highly successful at securing money for the completion of I-49 from its current terminus in Shreveport to tie into the southern Arkansas stretch which is already built and just waiting for sluggish Louisiana to finish its stretch. He also freed up about $50 million in state money to help build the infrastructure for the National Cyber Research Park in Shreveport-Bossier.

All that said, I am not really sure about his chances at holding an office as high as President. I also think people need to get off their hangup with race, I do not care what race my president is as long as he does a good job.

I watched his speech as I wanted to hear if there was a new segment of the GOP rising from the ashes of the last 2 elections and I have to say his delivery was extremely awkward to listen to. So awkward that I think it drowned out any real message that he was trying to get across. I felt sort of bad for him because he first followed a state of a union type of address where most of the time both parties were standing and clapping. I am not sure how anyone would counter that and then Jindal did an extremely bad job of it. I think one of the conservative commentators got it right in that it sounded like he was reading to a bunch of elementary school kids. I think the only thing that could have been worse would have been to have put Sarah Palin up there to talk.

I think it's a little early to be picking a leader of the GOP, Obama is still on his honeymoon period and the majority of the press is still enamored with him. Jindal has the smarts and the temperament to be a good leader, but at this point no one is going to be able to outshine Obama.

He had an off night! Maybe he should have waited at least 24 hours later?? I don't think you see Jindal run til 2016; he is not even 38 years old yet...he and Obama have alot of respect for each other...who knows, they could make a nice team??

He did an tremendous job for Louisiana this past Summer during hurricane Gustav.

The substance of Jindal's speech was essentially to say that government isn't the answer to our country's problems based on the example of... his own party's failure to lead during hurricane Katrina. Beyond that, he said that the GOP plan to stimulate the economy is tax cuts and responsible spending: exactly what Obama proposed not fifteen minutes earlier.

As if the substance weren't bad enough, Jindal's delivery reminded me of Mr. Rogers. No match for Obama's masterful speaking style, unless the audience is a group of preschoolers.

Jindal may be a very good politician and an excellent governor, but a Republican Barack Obama he is not.

Jindal also fell back on the same rhetoric we heard from the republicans during the campaign that the democrats are going to raise taxes on everyone. His speech wasn't effective at all in style or substance and you could clearly tell he was reading a teleprompter. When he did show emotion in his speech it seemed phoney. Bobby Jindal is a very bright guy but the republicans would be making a mistake positioning him as the leader of the republican party. He is no Barack Obama and I get the sense republicans are pushing him to the forefront because he is a minority and they feel that they need a minority running against a Obama to win in 2012. Its no coincidence that the republicans just recently voted in the first black leader of the GOP. I will say if this country begins to move in a positive direction over the next 4 years it doesnt matter who the republicans put up against Obama, he will win re-election.

The Republicans just need to let Obama and his Democratic congress pass all of these deficit swelling programs. There is no way we can sustain this amount of spending for 4 years, without the system becoming bankrupt. Obama has done more damage to our deficit in a few short months, than Bush and his deficit spending lackeys did in 6 years. Someone will need to pick up the pieces after all is said and done. I

The Republicans just need to let Obama and his Democratic congress pass all of these deficit swelling programs. There is no way we can sustain this amount of spending for 4 years, without the system becoming bankrupt. Obama has done more damage to our deficit in a few short months, than Bush and his deficit spending lackeys did in 6 years. Someone will need to pick up the pieces after all is said and done. I

YouTube is full of the Bobby Jindal speech. But even more interesting are all the vids of commentators ripping Jindal a new one. The now famous remark by Chris Matthews, when "his microphone was off" is particularly damaging for Jindal.

I watched Jindal's video again and it sounds like an afternoon kid's program on the Nickelodeon Channel. Like an adult trying to get 12 year olds interested in politics.

Recent political history shows that the GOP has a tendency to give the nomination to the guy who came in second the last time.

One of the most amusing examples is Bob Dole in 1996. He lost the nomination to George H.W. Bush years earlier. When he got the nomination, it was "his turn".

And we certainly can't discount the idea that McCain got the nomination this time, because it was "his turn."

So next time around, it's strongly looking like it's Mitt Romney's "turn". But gosh, the party knows he would get his butt kicked in a general election......so obviously they were hoping Jindal might be the one to save the party from a huge defeat in 2012. Geez, in his speech, Jindal looked even worse than Romney! :rofl:

Recent political history shows that the GOP has a tendency to give the nomination to the guy who came in second the last time.

One of the most amusing examples is Bob Dole in 1996. He lost the nomination to George H.W. Bush years earlier. When he got the nomination, it was "his turn".

And we certainly can't discount the idea that McCain got the nomination this time, because it was "his turn."

So next time around, it's strongly looking like it's Mitt Romney's "turn". But gosh, the party knows he would get his butt kicked in a general election......so obviously they were hoping Jindal might be the one to save the party from a huge defeat in 2012. Geez, in his speech, Jindal looked even worse than Romney! :rofl:

Archived