Johnny's Lunch is Gone

As of today, Johnny's Lunch is officially a thing of the past. Apparently the owners couldn't afford rent (Maybe they shouldn't have leased that now-empty space next-door..) and didn't even tell their own employees they would be closing until just today. My sister is now spontaneously out of a job. The 28th St. store closed a month or two ago. The downtown location was rather successful, so there's a chance it may come back, just as a privately-owned operation with different owners rather than a franchise.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Four Friends thing rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Maybe the whole story wasn't exactly clear but it sure looked a bit snarky. If it weren't for that, there'd probably be a little more sympathy.

Chalk up another victim to that retail black hole on the corner of Lake Eastbrook Blvd and 28th St. Can nothing overcome that location's fail-a-riffic vibe?

I think the Four Friends thing rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Maybe the whole story wasn't exactly clear but it sure looked a bit snarky. If it weren't for that, there'd probably be a little more sympathy.

Chalk up another victim to that retail black hole on the corner of Lake Eastbrook Blvd and 28th St. Can nothing overcome that location's fail-a-riffic vibe?

Business for that store was good, which is why some of the managers are exploring options to re-open it themselves. The owners just had some bad practices, from what it sounds like. The 28th St. store failed, the Detroit store failed, and their buying up of neighbors failed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks brother(tslater). Sad news is that the mom and pop store that was going to be created, is no longer going to happen. I was also drug along, in that aspect also. The manager and myself(the assistant manager) were going to put it all together and see about getting grants and some of his well known rich acquaintances to help us. But ever since that Friday that Johnny's shut down I haven't herd a word from him and his phone seems to be disconnected.

It's true, the owners were not paying there rent, among other things. For the biggiest reason being, they hired a lot of low lives that thought that when they got fired they would retaliate at the owners making a few lawsuits. So on top of the owners not paying there rent, and other bills, they were in court because of unhappy past employees. Hence why the owners got fed-up and walked away.

:scared:

So now im looking for a job beacase of all this crap that happened. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. thanks! :good:

Had a chance to talk to someone who knew one of the owners and from what I heard these guys had no resturant experience whatsoever. One was an architect, the other a retired General Motors. They had no clue what they were doing and were over there heads I think. He also mentioned that they compared there food to steak and shake I ate there quiet a few times and wouldn't of thought Johnny's Lunch was any way comparable to Steak N Shake.

I remember getting the impression it was supposed to be like Steak & Shake before it opened, but was quite disappointed as to how it actually turned out. After a while it grew on me, after I had gotten past my pre-conceived notions.

I also understand it was supposed to be "the McDonalds of Hot Dogs." I still would go next door to the Dog Pit for my hot dogs. The dogs at Johnny's Lunch were more expensive, not as tasty, and not as loaded as what the Dog Pit could offer. Johnny's Lunch for me took business away from Burger King. Although I do love Burger King's burgers, it was nice not to have to walk across the river and 131 just for a burger.

The element that set Johnny's Lunch apart from other fast food-oriented businesses was, in my opinion, its customer service. It was really nice being able to select a table and having the food delivered to said table. I can't think of any other fast food resturaunt which does this as a normal policy.

All of the owners backed out within the first few months of the 28th st. store opening, except one. Larry Migliore, was a realitor that had owned one restaurant prior to Johnny's. But ended up giving the restaurant away to the head cook. I do not know reasoning's to this, but this is just one of the things I herd about, in my time of being the assistant at johnny's. Larry went on about giving Johnny's to myse;f and the manager, but we needed to change the name for the fact that he was in court with the Johnny's Lunch franchise. Reasoning for that, I also do not know. But when it came down to it, we did not have the kind of money to support the new business and it doesn't help that my manager (at the time) walked out of the picture once Johnny's closed on that Friday.

So, once again more issues with johnny's lunch. hope that answers more questions.

Well, I tell you what, something better happen soon. Ive tried to contact the franchise a few days ago, via E mail, and so far no response. I haven't yet gotten my last paycheck, that was suppose to be given to me 2 Fridays ago. And I still have keys to both stores.

So, somebody better start talking or I may have to figure out if I can take johnny's to court for not paying me.

The element that set Johnny's Lunch apart from other fast food-oriented businesses was, in my opinion, its customer service. It was really nice being able to select a table and having the food delivered to said table. I can't think of any other fast food resturaunt which does this as a normal policy.

More information came today, when I asked the franchise about my last paycheck. . . this was part of there response,

"I am sorry to hear of your troubles in getting your final pay and returning the keys. Unfortunately here at the corporate office we have no oversight or ownership of the Grand Rapids locations. They had been running independently of our company for quite some time while still using our name."

They were in court with the Johnny's Lunch franchise because they were still using there name, and backed out of there franchise agreement.

(this is my assumption) But I do know they were in court with the Johnny's Lunch Franchise.

Generally speaking isn't the failure rate/turnover worse downtown when it comes to restaurants or coffee shops?

Just a guess but I would think there's a seasonal factor that hurts downtown establishments. This area isn't exactly brimming with crowds in any sustainable fashion during the winters, notably late afternoon and evenings when everyone heads home.

Maybe there's already an adequate number, at least some of the established places seems to be hangin in there.

Archived