• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

"Johnny's Pita House"

Troy Reimink's review from yesterday

http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-r...s_diners_c.html

Wow, this decor is something else. Very red and subway tile. PH has covered the tables with their graphic. Still stuck with glaring red trays, napkin holders, neon...sheesh, there's even red neon under the seats! Wall art is burgers, fries, and onion rings. I am guessing that the ones depicting Sami's Gyro: good! good! are covering Johnny's logos.

Menu has more variety than Sam offered at Olive Express. I just finished a fattoush and a falafel ball. (Interestingly, yesterday I had fattoush at Cafe Kabob (was in Southfield again) and it was difficult to eat. PH makes it up and lets it marinate in a fridge box. Nice bite-sized pieces.)

The falafel was garnished to the hilt: tahini sauce, then chopped parsley. Tasty.

Hours, for now, will go to 8 on weeknights, and possibly late night bar crowd service on weekends. Glad that they are flexible. Perhaps with several other in-town locations, PH can switch staff and food around and make a killing during Swing and Blues on the Mall.

ETA: Posted this, shut down, went outside to unlock where I talked with one of the owners. He lamented that he doesn't like the red neon, would love to just get rid of it, and they don't know where the power switch for it would be. Mentioned that someone's going in the basement to look for it tomorrow (he uses a wheelchair). ROSS, help 'em out? (Maybe they need your help in other ways.)

Archived