Charlotte's Live Music Scene

ScottCLT

Lately, it seems as though bands are taking a bit more notice to Charlotte when planning tours. I'm not talking mainstream bands, but lesser-known bands who are big in other markets, but never seemed to make it to Charlotte before. I have never had so many shows planned before - I am going to see Kings of Leon, The Walkmen, Ra Ra Riot, Death Cab For Cutie, Cold War Kids, Band Of Horses, and Ben Folds. I actually passed up the Dave Matthews/ Avett Brothers show (I was more excited about the Avett Brothers, but I just saw them last month). I can't recall any time in the past 10 years where I have had the opportunity to see that many bands within a couple months. I hope this is a good indicator that bands are realizing that Charlotte has a crowd who actually cares about music other than what is played on Kiss 95.1 or 106.5. I hope it keeps up.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more...i typically head to ASheville, Columbia or Charleston for shows...wondering why the bands skip here. So far half the shows i'm seeing this year will be here...Just like you, KOL, DeathCab and just got tix for Band of Horses yesterday. I'm still going to Asheville though, since not everyone comes here :(

I like both those bands. Sex on Fire is a rather dumb song lyrically but the beat is so infectious and cool that it does not matter. Soul meets Body is my favorite Death Cab song, I like mostly mellow music.

And I probably won't be able to make it to either concert :angry: Glad that Charlotte is getting some love from these groups though.

i've been pretty pleased with the music scene since moving here and a lot of my favorite groups have come through. last year Les Claypool kicked off his tour here, and Man Man played here INSTEAD OF Atlanta! that never happens.

i'm still incredibly upset that i missed both Beastie Boys and Wu-Tang when they were here though.

Hey now, I copyrighted that name, I'll take my $.25 cents please. Speaking of Live Music Scene, has anyone gone by NCMF and checked out the progress of the three outdoor venues?

Looks like U2 passed on Charlotte this year, no loss in my opinion. I am surprised they passed because their last tour they did fantastic in Charlotte.

As for U2, sorry to all their fans, but lord I could care less. To me their music has become monotonous and boring and self appreciative. I just can't help but think if they weren't who they were and one were to hear their song on the radio it wouldn't be memorable at all.

Really?? I'm not sure if I'm more excited about that then Kings of Leon (we got our tickets for them last night).

EDIT: where did you see this? I just looked online and can't find it

EDIT EDIT: still can't find it, but did notice the long name this venue has now! Every ticket and venue site lists it as: Bojangles Coliseum formerly Cricket Arena.

From the looks of it, they are doing a stadium tour this time around. So that may of factored into bypassing Charlotte. Though, I think they could do a stop of BofA stadium since it's the biggest venue between DC and Atlanta. Didn't the Rolling Stones play here, back when it was Ericcson Stadium?

Actually isn't it bigger than Atlanta. So its the biggest between DC and Miami (jacksonville's has a lower concert attendence allowance than BofA. But anyways, there are rumors out there that U2 will pick Carter Finley in Raleigh instead of BofA, which holds only 57,000 total.

Oh yes, how can I forget Death Valley, and William Brice. After my experiences in the upper deck at Death Valley the Panthers First season, I must say it'd be a great place for U2. You can sit up in the top and actually experience Vertigo while they are playing the song. :rofl:

Archived