Were you raised in a?...  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Were you raised in a?...

• rural area?
    • small town?
    • micropolitan/small-midsized city?
    • major city-w-small metro?
    • major city-w-large metro?

Here is how I broke down the categories.

Micropolitan/small-midsized city: any city under 150,000 people, any cluster of small cities that make up a population over 50,000.

major city-w-small metro: any city proper that has a population over 300,000, but a metro population under 1.3 million. Exp.Omaha,Oklahoma City etc.

major city-w-large metro: any city with a population over 300,000, and has a metro population over 1.3 million people.

Tell us where you were raised, or currently live.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up in a major city-w-small metro "Honolulu" somewhere within 5 miles or so from the CBD in a mostly non-white immigrant hood. :P About 4 years ago the city restriped the crosswalks in international style and posted signs in a bunch of different languages because many non-english speaking immigrants were getting hit/hurt by cars because they didnt understand how to use a crosswalk :unsure:

I am a native of Flint, MI, and grew up in a rather depressing suburb of that city. Fortunately, I will be leaving for a much larger suburb of Detroit very soon. Actually, the city I grew up in is much larger now than when I was born. When I was born it had around 15,000 people. Now it has around 50,000 people.

I grew up on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, specifically, the Town of Barnstable, the Village of Cotuit.

When I was born there were 96,000 people in the 15 towns of Barnstable County. Today the Cape has a year-round population of 222,000 with summer peaks at about 1.5-2 million. When I was born the Cape was considered a collection of (in some places rural) small towns. Today Barnstable County is it's own MSA according to the census bureau (seperate from Boston).

This is the population growth for the Town of Barnstable from 1930-2000 (Barnstable Town is the County Seat of Barnstable County).

Barnstable Town city

Area 60.0

Density 796.5

1930 7,271

1940 8,333

1950 10,480

1960 13,465

1970 19,842

1980 30,898

1990 40,949

2000 47,821

I was born in a small town, by the time I graduated High School I was living in a small city.

In fact, Barnstable town is considered a city by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, however it continues to call itself a town.

I was born in Brattleboro, Vermont though my family lived in Rockingham Town, Bellows Falls Village. Brattleboro has a current population of about 11,000, and Bellows Falls has about 3,500. I actually moved to Springfield, Vermont once out of high school, with about 9,000. But I came back to Bellows Falls, because it's such a charming village. No matter where you live you can walk everywhere, and it has the services of a normal sized town of around 20,000.

I was born and raised in Kansas City's inner-city, I've lived most of my life in the city's eastside and northeast(side). It was hard throughout school because I was 1 out of 150 white kids in a school of about 2,000 black kids. I experienced racism althrough school. Then we moved to the Northeast(side) where it is a mostly mexican neighborhood, the northeast has been greatly influenced by the Mexican culture. With spanish style houses,more than half the businesses are mexican businesses, and bilingual neighborhood newspapers. KC also has many soely spanish newspapers.

Archived