March Winter Storm

Well, I figured I would go ahead and start a Charlotte Metro winter storm topic now that it is officially snowing (and quite hard I might add) here at my house (Tega Cay). The grass has already started to freeze, so I figure it won't be too much longer until I see some accumulation on the ground. I made this thread because I know there will be some good stories and pictures to post over the next day or so.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6:15pm Sunday and my car is totally covered in snow in south Charlotte. What is strange is that I heard this big roll of thunder right around 6pm and when I looked outside, it was snowing. Just minutes earlier I was outside and it was only rain. Weird........

Anyone hear the big thunderstorm at 5am (Sunday)?

I have a few pictures to post. First, I had a bunch of vultures perched in one of the trees out back right before it started sleeting about an hour ago. The second photo is about 10 min. after it started actually snowing. I also heard a couple claps of thunder...turns out there is something called thunder snow?! Really strange...

post-10561-1235949907_thumb.jpg

post-10561-1235949948_thumb.jpg

post-10561-1235949907_thumb.jpg

post-10561-1235949948_thumb.jpg

This is indeed a very strange storm we are having. This morning it was pouring rain...very heavy snow from 1pm until 3pm...light snow/rain until about 5pm...now just rain with rising temperatures. We had about an inch of snow on the ground at 3pm this afternoon, but that has all but melted <_< . Hopefully we can transition back to snow again before this thing moves out. I really want to have the ground covered at least once this year! BTW, I live about 10 miles north of Hickory.

Sure is coming down here in Dilworth. From what I gather thundersnow is indicative of spots where there may be intense accumulation. Dozens of wrecks have already been reported. I think that is less from the severity of the storm an more of an example of the panic that overtakes so many Charlotteans whenever we have severe weather of any kind. ( I guess I may not be that credible seeing as how I wrecked my car last week on perfectly nice day :whistling: ) Anyway, it's a great night to stay in and snuggle if you have someone to snuggle. Or get your cat stoned on catnip for fun, like I am doing.

Down here in Rock Hill, it's been snowing pretty good since a little after 5 PM...we have about 2" on the ground and yes, I too have seen lightning and heard thunder in this snow...Thunder snow is much more common in very heavy Lake Effect Snow Squalls like I have seen plenty of times in the snowbelt east of Cleveland...also, I too was awakend very early this morning by the lightening and thunder, actually, my dog was, and she's very skiddish when it thunders, and she jumped up in my bed w/ me which woke me up.

I was driving home form Ikea today and the interstates were pretty sloppy.....and yet people drive on them like a bat outta hell. Go figure.....btw Ikea is awesome! (yes i know i know....that's a different thread)

Can't wait to see the pics tomorrow from down there! I had the unpleasantness of being in Raleigh to work this evening and left around 6pm to get back to W-S. Let's just say I-40/85 was a mess.. there had to be at least 60 cars I saw off the road or wrecked and the snow was pouring down.. it's gonna be a nasty commute across the state in the morning!

Archived