Charlotte one of six finalists for Carbon Motors automotive plant.

gman430

I think Carbon Motors would've been a good fit for the (soon to be vacated) Philip Morris Plant in Concord. I guess that won't happen now thanks to Gov. Perdue. :dunno:
Assuming you believe first that Carbon Motors is a legitimate company with legitimate capital to invest. Purdue suggested yesterday this wasn't the case. I have my own doubts as well. I gave my reasons above. IMO, this is a company looking for a governmental handout from the state governments. Not a company that actually has a business plan to build something that is actually wanted or desired by customers.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming you believe first that Carbon Motors is a legitimate company with legitimate capital to invest. Purdue suggested yesterday this wasn't the case. I have my own doubts as well. I gave my reasons above. IMO, this is a company looking for a governmental handout from the state governments. Not a company that actually has a business plan to build something that is actually wanted or desired by customers.

Even if this is a legitimate enterprise, about which I have my doubts, how could anyone in their right mind think 10,000 jobs would be created?

• 1 month later...

PRESS RELEASE:

Carbon Motors Surpasses 10,000 Reservations

We are thrilled to announce that we have now exceeded 10,000 production slot reservations for Carbon's 'E7'. The Company would like to extend its deepest gratitude to the hundreds of law enforcement agencies that placed those reservations from all across the country!

In addition to achieving this major milestone so soon, we would also like to thank members of the economic development communities in each of the following states for putting forth such thoughtful proposals and offers for the Carbon Campus: Georgia, Indiana, Michigan, North Carolina and South Carolina.

The team has literally met crowds of new Carbon Motors supporters and has formed many great new friendships in all of these states. Having to finally say 'yes' to 1 state and 'no' to 4 others will certainly be difficult

This is interesting, Carbon is now saying that NC has submitted a proposal.

It must have just happened, though I doubt there really is one. They had their prototype car here at the race track during the race on Memorial week and said at the time there was no proposal from NC but they would still like to manufacture cars here. Their "reservation" really a request for prefered customer status (whatever that means) that is accomplished by filling out a form on the Internet. I suspect it really is a way for them to build a contact list. It isn't a commitment to purchase any cars. I still have serious doubts they can build a single purpose car for any price that is close to affordable and that any municipality would agree to purchase them given the difficulties on what to do with them when they get old.

Meanwhile they have some very tough competition. The Mooresville Police dept just bought 5 Dodge Charger police cars. They come at a cost of $31K each. See here. Note that these vehicles have a feature to reduce fuel consumption by cutting out 4 cylinders when not needed.

It must have just happened, though I doubt there really is one. They had their prototype car here at the race track during the race on Memorial week and said at the time there was no proposal from NC but they would still like to manufacture cars here. Their "reservation" really a request for prefered customer status (whatever that means) that is accomplished by filling out a form on the Internet. I suspect it really is a way for them to build a contact list. It isn't a commitment to purchase any cars. I still have serious doubts they can build a single purpose car for any price that is close to affordable and that any municipality would agree to purchase them given the difficulties on what to do with them when they get old.

Meanwhile they have some very tough competition. The Mooresville Police dept just bought 5 Dodge Charger police cars. They come at a cost of $31K each. See here. Note that these vehicles have a feature to reduce fuel consumption by cutting out 4 cylinders when not needed.

Yeah, the business model sounds shaky to me. And so does this pre-order thing.

You're talking about buying a one of a kind police car for the same price as one that is replicated 10's of thousands of times, whether it be Impala, Charger or the ubiquitous Crown Vic. And all Ford, GM, or Chrysler has to do is drop their price a couple thousand $$ and blow the Carbon price out of the water, and they have no place to make it up. In the low bid municipal environment, tell me that $1000 - $2000 per car difference is not going to make a difference.

Sorry, it really doesn't pass the smell test for me. I'd love to see something like that come here and be successful, but not counting on it. Especially, the 10k jobs thing I think is total BS.

• 1 month later...

This seems to be dependant upon a significant undisclosed handout from the state of Indiana, and sounds as if they are going to try to borrow the rest of the capital from the federal government. I would not count on those jobs yet. I still contend that most cities, who make the buying decisions, won't go for this vehicle.

This seems to be dependant upon a significant undisclosed handout from the state of Indiana, and sounds as if they are going to try to borrow the rest of the capital from the federal government. I would not count on those jobs yet. I still contend that most cities, who make the buying decisions, won't go for this vehicle.

I agree. Most municipalities are simply cash strapped and unless these can compete with whats available today, I don't see this as a viable option.

Yeah, I wondered that to. Quite an exageration. Even the 1550 will be if they ever get to full production, which will probably take years.

They're probably using the 'multiplier effect'. I mean really using the multiplier effect. I always thought it was a bogus number.

• 4 years later...

Archived